The Top 8 Free and Open Source E-Learning Software
For any kind of progress in a business, learning and executing new skills is mandatory. In this competitive business scenario, we cannot afford to implement the obsolete strategies, tools, and techniques, as that would stop the growth of the organization, which can be quite dangerous in the long run. Especially in this age of technological disruptions, updating knowledge is the key to the success of any business.
Knowledge is a significant asset for organizations and individuals both, and "Knowledge Stagnancy" is the biggest challenge companies are facing these days. Employees also get bored with their monotonous jobs if they don't get an opportunity to learn and grow within the organization. This is where the best e-learning software is required.
An E-Learning software can help you in empowering your employees with proper training and knowledge, helping them to deliver better performance and contribute to the success of the business. If you are looking for the best E-Learning software for your business, you can choose from the list of the top 8 free and open source E-Learning software given here.
Before you go through these E-Learning tools, let us have a basic understanding of what is E-Learning software, types & benefits, and the features to look for while selecting one.
What Is E-Learning Software?
Electronic Learning termed as E-Learning, is a method of imparting and administering training, knowledge, and education using technology like video conferencing, shared chat, and digital course materials (CD/DVD). The training is provided and acquired virtually either via cloud or using internal network/LAN. The businesses that are looking forward to offering online courses to their workforce or clients can use E-Learning software to manage their training materials and conduct online courses.
Types of E-Learning Software
Before you select an E-Learning software, it becomes necessary to know the type of E-Learning software that would suffice your needs. The most common types of E-Learning software include -
As per E-Learning statistics for 2019,
The reasons behind these facts are the below-mentioned benefits that a best E-Learning software can offer:
Benefits of E-Learning Software
So, these were the benefits of E-Learning software. If you are looking for one, but overwhelmed with the idea of selecting one, just go through the must-have features of an E-Learning software, to select the best and get the most out of it.
Must-Have Features of E-Learning Software
Easy to Use Interface
Having an easy to use interface in an E-Learning software helps in creating a huge number of training courses in a short period of time and thus can add to the profitability of your organization. Moreover, an E-Learning software with easy to use interface consumes less time in making your employees having different skill sets, comfortable with the new system.
The E-Learning software that supports multiple languages can cater to the needs of the learners located all over the world. So, if you require providing training to the users in their native language for better understanding, just ensure that you select an E-Learning software that can allow you to do that.
Asynchronous learning facilitates students to acquire training according to their schedule. Most of the learners are busy with their regular jobs or professional assignments, and cannot cope up with a training schedule. Thus, the E-Learning software you deploy should allow asynchronous learning so that your students can acquire training at their own pace.
E-learning software, including LMS (Learning Management System), helps in delivering training material online, builds learners' engagement & sense of community, manages online training, and monitors the progress of the learners. This can help you in making learning much more interactive and interesting.
Most of the learners these days use mobile devices to acquire training. The E-Learning software you choose should take care of this need by enabling you to create mobile-friendly content easily accessible on any platform or device.
The E-Learning software you select should be capable of adapting to the changing needs of your organization. It should allow you to create additional course materials to meet the ever-changing demands of the learners and the competitive business market.
The in-built library of resources like course templates, themes, videos, images, etc., can facilitate you to create engaging training materials with speed and accuracy. You don't need to incorporate other tools, which saves your time and money both.
The features mentioned above are some functionalities you need to primarily look for while selecting the best E-Learning software for your organization. Precisely, the E-Learning tool you select should be simple and easy to use, but at the same time, robust enough to yield the results you require. Below are the details of the top 8 free and open source E-Learning software followed by a comparison chart, which can help you in making the right decision.
The Top 8 Free and Open Source E-Learning Software Comparison Chart
The Top 8 Free and Open Source E-Learning Software
Open eLearning is a free and open source E-Learning software that allows you to build engaging educational courses and games. It is a stand-alone and feature-rich product that can be downloaded and installed on your computer. The best thing about this software is that it doesn't depend on internet connection and is exceptionally responsive. It is also bundled with screen capture tools and image editing software helping you to create interactive and engaging courses with speed.
- Easy to install, share, and use
- Helps in creating courses with appealing design
- Coding not required to create courses
- Allows adding plugins and extensions for added functionality
- Allows adding characters, arrows, charts, etc., to the presentations
- Allows creating tutorials in the form of games
- Can preview the presentations before publishing them
- Can publish the presentations to the SCORM or local HTML
- Requires no subscription or internet connection
If you have already used Open eLearning, please feel free to share your reviews here.
Adapt Learning is an open source and free E-Learning software that can help in creating courses that can work on any device. It allows you to build content using Adapt Framework. All you need to do is to create an account, log in, design courses with interactive elements, preview, and finally publish your content. The courses created using Adapt Learning can be delivered using a web server or through a SCORM compliant LMS (Learning Management System).
- Can create responsive e-learning courses
- Supports both core and custom framework plugins
- Maintains a library of assets
- Provides full support for multi-user collaboration
- Compatible with the latest Adapt framework
- Has the ability to export source code of the training course for stand-alone command-line development
If you have already used Adapt, please feel free to share your reviews here.
eXe Learning is a free and open source E-Learning authoring tool that can assist teachers and academics in publishing training content on the web without having the knowledge of HTML and XML markup languages. The content created using eXe can be exported in IMS Content Package, SCORM 1.2, IMS Common Cartridge formats, or simple web pages.
- Free E-Learning software licensed under GPL-2
- Can create interactive educational web contents
- Educational content created can be integrated to LMS
- Can work on Linux, Microsoft Windows, and Mac OS X
- Can create fully responsive content easily accessible on any platform and device
If you have already used eXe, please feel free to share your reviews here.
DebugMode Wink is a free and open source E-Learning software which can help in creating tutorials and presentations. You can capture screenshots, add buttons, boxes, titles, etc., and generate appealing tutorials for the learners. With the help of an easy to use interface by Wink, it becomes easy for you to drag-and-drop editing and creating high-quality documentation, presentations, and tutorials.
- Distributed for free and thus is ideal for business and personal use
- Can work on Windows and Linux
- Allows you to add voice to your tutorials
- Supports multiple languages like English, French, German, Italian, and many more
- Allows adding text annotations and capture input-based characters
- Can add navigation buttons to the presentations
- Allows editing bitmaps for all presentation controls
- Allows you to create highly compressed Flash presentations which can be published on the web
If you have already used DebugMode Wink, please feel free to share your reviews here.
Xerte is a suite of E-Learning tools that helps users to create interactive learning materials quickly using a web browser. It is a free E-Learning software that can deliver training material in the form of HTML5 for large desktop computers and small screens both. Being an award-winning software; it provides simple online tools that can be used by even non-technical users to create interactive tutorials and presentations seamlessly.
- Allows WYSIWYG editing
- Includes intuitive tools allowing rapid content creation
- Allows you to organize the content and share with other users
- Includes templates helping to create appealing content
- Allows delivering content to any device or platform
- Includes enhanced media library
- Allows synchronizing the display of media
- Allows adding optional properties helping to customize content creation
- Allows pasting the content from MS Word
- Allows adding PDF objects to the pages
- Allows creating decision tree for the users to follow
- Includes global community of users and developers making it easier to access support
If you have already used Xerte, please feel free to share your reviews here.
LAMS is a free and open source E-Learning software used for designing, managing, and delivering online tutorials, and teaching material. It aids trainers and teachers with a highly intuitive visual authoring platform to create sequenced learning activities. It is integrated with different learning management systems like Blackboard, Moodle, Sakai, Microsoft Sharepoint, etc., which can also monitor the activities and growth of the learners.
- Has mobile-friendly design
- Can be integrated with any learning platform
- Allows embedding images, videos etc
- Can send notifications to the students
- Allows monitoring the improvement and progress of the students
- High-end security including two-factor authentication to protect the data
If you have already used LAMS, please feel free to share your reviews here.
Jelsim is free-to-download and use E-Learning software that can create simulations. It helps in creating and deploying simulations to the web quickly. The simulations are created as Java applets and can be easily integrated into the web pages at a low cost using Jelsim. You can also store these simulations as learning objects in Learning Content Management Systems, and content repositories.
- Allows creating interactive simulations easily
- The simulations created can be deployed to web, intranet, or online learning course using standard browser as a Java applet
- Separates behavioural model from the visualization enabling to re-use the model
- Can highlight different aspects of the model
- Suits to different levels of expertise
- Can cater to different learning needs
- Can cope with varying styles of learning
- System requirements: Intel Pentium or equivalent with processor 266MHz, and 64MB RAM
If you have already used Jelsim, please feel free to share your reviews here.
CourseLab is a free E-Learning tool that can create high-quality interactive tutorials, presentations, and learning material. It can include all the internet-data friendly formats in the eLearning course. It's easy to modify templates, and large objects allow you to create eLearning material quickly without any hassle. CourseLab created eLearning material that is compatible with several learning management systems like Moodle, Blackboard, etc.
- Has WYSIWYG environment for creating and managing interactive and high-quality eLearning content
- Supports all styles of fonts and double-byte character sets
- Its object-oriented model allows you to construct even complex eLearning content
- Includes highly customizable objects
- Provides dynamic HTML based output which can be accessed through a web browser without Java or any other special player software
If you have already used CourseLab, please feel free to share your reviews here.
These were the best 8 free E-Learning software that you can deploy for your business without making a huge investment. But, if these options do not suffice your requirements, we suggest you go through the details of one of the most E-Learning software - Elucidat.
Elucidat is an easy-to-use platform to create high-quality, mobile-friendly, and brand-compliant content. It is perfect for providing training to large audiences as it can help in easily managing team level permissions, localization tools, reuse, and update content quickly. Precisely, it is the most popular Elearning platform for large organizations that need to stay competitive and grow exponentially.
- Helps in creating high-quality content with exceptional results
- Includes templates to create tutorials and presentations having great impact
- Provides role-based access supporting the entire organization
- Can control multiple project updates with a single click
- Includes intuitive dashboard helping to manage multiple courses
- Enables stakeholders to work together efficiently
- Highly scalable and can adapt to new trends
- Includes a library of interactions which can be used in thousands of combinations
- Includes analytics and smart reporting helping to make informed decisions
If you have already used Elucidat, please feel free to share your reviews here.
Having a keen eye while selecting an E-Learning software becomes very important, especially if your organization requires training people with the latest business trends, tools, and technologies regularly. We hope that this article has helped you with selecting the best E-Learning software, including the features you require within your budget.
If you are still looking for more options, you can also go through freemium and paid E-Learning software like Eurokos, Nerd Geek Lab, Chamilo, Docebo, Lynda, Quizlet, Codecademy, Coursera, and many more mentioned in the complete list of E-Learning Software by GoodFirms.
If you have used any of the software mentioned above, please leave your valuable feedback here.
Also, browse all software categories, if you are looking for the latest E-Learning tools used in other business sectors as well.
A Forbes report predicted that the e-learning market would reach $325 billion by 2025. These figures are an incentive enough for more and more startups to design unique i ... Read more