What is App Store Optimization?
App Store Optimization(ASO) is the process of increasing the visibility of application within the App Stores. As SEO is required for website, ASO is is required for mobile apps.
You have finally published your mobile app to the app store, and you are waiting for device holders to start rapidly downloading your app. How do you make sure that your mobile app has good visibility on the various app stores? How do you make an audience aware that your app exists?
That’s where app store optimization (ASO) comes in. ASO is, in a nutshell, the method that marketers will use to optimize and improve a mobile app’s visibility in a specific app store. Some of the major app stores include iTunes, Google Play, and Windows Store. Having high visibility on these stores is important for a cross-platform app, and knowing how to employ proper ASO can make or break the possibility of a mobile app’s success.
There are over 2 million apps across the major app stores, making it increasingly difficult for a new mobile app to gain the viewership that it needs to survive and turn a profit. There are a few key techniques that can be used to help mobile apps rank higher and higher in a major store’s search results. Here are some of the main factors to consider:
- Keywords – Just as with a business website, a blog, and an advertisement, keywords are essential to drawing people in. People will search for specific keywords when searching for an app. For example, if you have created a mobile app store that involves virtual pets, you may want to use keywords such as “pets”, “zoo”, virtual”, “game”, “dogs”, and “cats”.
- Title – What is the title of your app? If you can, try to place a keyword in your title, which will drive the biggest increase to your search results. Using the example above, a good app name may be “My Virtual Pet Zoo”. That way, the keywords are in the title and customers will be more compelled to click on your app.
- Reviews and downloads – How many times has your app been downloaded? Did you submit it to any review sites to generate reviews and ratings? A mobile app that has a lot of ratings, reviews, and previous downloads will also drive up search results and viewership.
Things to Understand
In order to understand what methods will significantly increase your SEO, there are a couple of things that you must be knowledgeable about before you begin. The better you know what you need, the easier it will be for you to get it. Remember:
- You need to understand your target customer base – There are no exceptions to this requirement. You should know what similar apps your customer base has downloaded, and what keywords they are searching for.
- ASO is the majority of app discovery – Over 63% of all apps are discovered through keyword searches. Using the right keywords can literally be the difference between failure and success.
- You need to be patient – The ASO magic formula doesn’t work overnight. It takes time to slowly rise through the ranks and become a widely searched and visible mobile app. Be patient, make the right choices, seek out ratings and reviews, and you will be rewarded.
App store optimization is the life blood of a mobile app’s success, contributing to its continued longevity and healthy success. Work on establishing great keywords and enough reviews to make your mobile app credible.