Best Automation Testing Software
Automated testing software is used for the test cases, which are repeatedly executed, time-consuming, tedious to perform manually, and are critical to the business application. By using an automation testing software, you can fix the bugs flawlessly with double the speed a manual testing process can provide. Below is the list of the latest automation testing tools intricately curated by the GoodFirms’ team. This comprehensive list of automated testing tools includes the details of the features provided by each one of them, along with the authentic reviews by the users. Going through these details can help you in selecting the automation testing software that is just right for your business.
List of Free & Open Source Automated Testing Software with Reviews
With over 9 years of service to our clients, we have built a reputation of going the extra mile and doing whatever it takes to ensure client success. We are experts at distributed Agile and Lean testing practices supporting world-class engineering teams who strive to achieve Continuous Delivery. Our test specialists have extensive automation and exploratory testing skills and we are constantly inv ... read more about CARINAContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
Testing. Simplified. Experience the world's first test automation solution on the cloud.bqurious is the world’s first test automation solution on the cloud. Here’s a quick background.Founded by passionate and restless technology professionals with a mission to create and perpetuate value for businesses. ... read more about BquriousContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
We have built our Qsome software testing platform from the ground up, keeping in mind the dynamic and fast-paced nature of modern development needs, goals and standards. It offers a powerful set of features across software test management, planning and automated functional software test execution. ... read more about QsomeContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
Throughout the years innovation has taken us on unexpected paths, inspiring us to keep coming up with new and inventive solutions for every challenge. This is how we plan to continue, pursuing innovation no matter where it will take us.“We see a world where people have a better life through the seamless use of our technology” ... read more about InnSpectContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
Appsurify is dedicated to making software testing smarter, faster, and cheaper, helping you release your products faster with fewer defects.The Appsurify team builds upon decades of experience in software testing to overcome today’s limitations. We understand the challenges of QA and software testing because we’ve lived them ourselves. ... read more about Appsurify$10 Per MonthN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
Apptim empowers mobile app developers and testers to easily test and analyze mobile app performance, preventing any issues from going live to your users.After working with over 400 mobile developers and enterprise customers in the past 12 years, we saw that current testing practices miss important bugs and are simply not good enough. Testing is too slow, unreliable or doesn't provide enough valuab ... read more about Apptim$89 Per MonthN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
PRITNA focuses on offering higher levels of service and support our clients won't find anywhere else. Our custom off-the-shelf automation testing tool - AutomQA delivers great performance and minimizes manual testing.Automation Testing Tool’s pre-built scripts reduce time and maintain data integrity by removing manual coding errors. ... read more about AutomQAContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
AutonomIQ is a cloud platform that enables product and IT teams to autonomously test, release, and deploy software, thereby increasing velocity of software releases without compromising quality. With pre-built integrations to common web applications and SaaS providers, customers can instantly create test cases, generate test scripts and test data, and execute tests. Using deep-learning and AI algo ... read more about AutonomIQContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
Cerberus is a low-code, open-source and scalable test automation solution. Selenium, appium and others are already integrated. Implement cross-browser, mobile apps, APIs, desktop tests and more. Stop coding, start testing. ... read more about CerberusContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
We are Code Intelligence, an IT security company founded in 2017. Code Intelligence is headquartered in Bonn, Germany. We offer automated testing solutions based on the latest research and backed up by the extensive technical and scientific expertise of our founders. CI Fuzz enhances security testing efficiency both for security professionals and developers. ... read more about CI FuzzContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
CloudBees is building the world’s first end-to-end automated software delivery system, enabling companies to balance governance and developer freedom.Many of our founders and leaders are veterans of open source projects and grew them into industry icons. Some of those projects today power digital businesses and software engineering around the globe. They're doing it again at CloudBees! ... read more about CloudBeesContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
Empower your Transition to Cloud with a Continuous Test Automation Platform An end-to-end testing automation platform that supports simplified Test Cycle Management, Automation and Execution. ... read more about CloudTestrContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
Visual and Functional Regression Testing automated web testing with excellence
Automation of human actions on websites made easy. 100% Open source made with ♥ in Barcelona. Visual comparison with screenshots! Easy UI testing on over 2000 devices.REST API integrates easy and smooth.Now that you know it - there are no more excuses left.co.meta has been developed with 100% open source tools. Scales 100%. Can be used on-premises, on desktop or on cloud. co.meta is unicode comp ... read more about co.metaContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
Cycle is the continuous testing solution brought to you by Tryon Solutions, leaders in supply chain consulting and JDA. Our focus is to modernize and streamline the development and deployment of Enterprise software solutions ... read more about CycleContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
We developed Degust according to the needs of the network operators and OEMs. This supports the most efficient and flexible testing. Here are some rules, which helped us to design the system.The latest development of our Degust testing and automation system drastically improves quality and reduces operating costs. This helps our customers accelerate innovation by making more changes with less ris ... read more about DegustContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
Drone is a self-service Continuous Integration platform for busy development teams.Pipelines are configured with a simple, easy‑to‑read file that you commit to your git repository.Each Pipeline step is executed inside an isolated Docker container that is automatically downloaded at runtime. ... read more about DroneContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
With the Enchatted Testing Platform, users can easily test their own bots against successful interaction stories, instantly evaluate their conversational experience and continuously monitor this.Enchatted also offers comprehensive fully managed testing for chatbots with actionable reporting and insightful analysis. See more below! ... read more about Enchatted$29 Per MonthN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
Test Automation Tool for ETL, Big Data, NoSQL, Cloud, Database, XML & Flat Files
ETL Validator connects to a wide variety of data sources. From time to time, we are constantly adding support for many modern data sources. If you don’t see a data source of yours, please send an email to us with your question. ... read more about ETL ValidatorContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
eureQa is redefining the test automation platform. With support for functional, cross browser/device, mobile & performance testing, and synthetic monitoring in a single enterprise class Cloud platform, eureQa is enabling companies to effectively operate their digital businesses. Powered by Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML), the eureQa platform gives companies the tools they ne ... read more about eureQa$1500 Per MonthN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
Get award winning tools for all of your Software Quality needs and start improving your desktop and web applications today. Free trials are available for all.We focus on your one priority that never changes: quality. We know delivering quality software over and over is complicated. So our tools are built to streamline your process while seamlessly working with the products you currently use – an ... read more about CucmberStudioContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
InformUp has everything you need to improve your product's quality from bug tracking system, test case management to ALM. Why don't you try us for FREE Trial?Powerful test case management is a critical piece of creating excellent programming and fittings items. Through well-designed testing methods, teams can guarantee that they are delivering the best items while taking advantage their restricte ... read more about InformUp TestUpContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
When it comes to software development, bugs are inevitable. It's about getting the right process to find them quickly and addressing them before your customers discover your product. We saw a major gap in the development process relating to test automation. This is why we decided to create a software solution to automate testing with NO CODE so that anyone could actually contribute to quality assu ... read more about LeRaccoonContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
Capture and test email. Email testing software for QA & Development teams.Email testing for any app, product or website The API for automating email tests, works with frameworks like Cypress and SeleniumThe benefits of quality assurance testing in software are widely accepted, but quantifying those benefits and optimizing performance can be tricky. Software developer performance can be measured by ... read more about Mailosaur$19 One-timeN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
Mordon is a Test automation tool that is built on No Code Software Test Automation Philosophy for testing SAP, Web & Desktop based applications.Mordon has simple UI with easy to understand reports that help organisations take decission faster and thereby improving their time to market which help them remain competative and agile. It saves Time & Efforts by enabling Business Users to build complex ... read more about MordonContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
Nineteen68 is a futuristic test automation product which encompasses testing of most types of software and product implementations. An all pervasive testing platform which takes a quantum leap towards testing singularity - Nineteen68 is the only platform which can take automation to more than 90% without writing a single line of code! ... read more about Nineteen68Contact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
OctoPerf is a bootstrapped company, made by independent performance geeks.Which is why all our efforts are directed to the product.We provide real support to our customers within minutes.Register for a free account and find out for yourself. ... read more about OctoperfContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
OpKey is an AI Powered 5th generation Test automation platform that allows business users and test engineers to create automation scripts OpKey is a new age Test Automation Platform build for a smarter connected world. Powered by OpKey's patent pending Artificial-Test-Intelligence(TM) engine, OpKey significantly accelerates test creation by 3X-5X compared to other automation tools and makes main ... read more about OpkeyContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
Establish a scalable test automation strategy leveraging unit, API, and web UI testing. And build on top of code that is reliable, safe, and secure with deep static analysis to ensure compliance with industry standards. Parasoft's automated software testing tools seamlessly integrate into your existing CI/CD pipeline and Agile DevOps workflows to improve your software quality by incorporating cont ... read more about Parasoft SOAtestContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
Preflight is automated software testing designed for anyone in a tech product company to use.Whether you’re a product manager, manual tester or an engineer, you’ll never need to code anything to automate testing.We do the leg work for you, automatically. Saving you time, and enabling anyone to automate testing. ... read more about PreFlight$99 Per Month30 Days100% in Automated Testing Software
The Digital Group’s Quality Assurance with Rapid Automation (QARA) is an integrated platform that supports declarative, no-scripting, no-coding functional test automation design, management, planning, and execution along with built-in reporting capabilities. The platform is built on open source Selenium and offers excellent automated test tracking, management and reporting. It enables centralize ... read more about QARA EnterpriseContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
An easy to use BDD specification platform that helps you define your business requirements, refine your design and implement automated tests. The Hiptest platform gives you the ability implement BDD in your environment and gives you the power to unite your business analysts, developers and testers. Start defining your acceptance criteria using the BDD approach to developing and sharing document ... read more about HipTestContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
Code Free TestAutomation Tools for SAP ECC, S4/HANA, IBM i, Oracle, Infor M3, and more.Web, GUI, Green screen all tested together, ensuring functionality across your business. Code free, Functional and Regression, Test Automation.Our mission is to deliver quality software, that is easy to buy, has an intuitive UI and is loved by our clients.Original Software enables organisations to meet their tes ... read more about Qualify AQMContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
Full SaaS Governance and quality assurance for ServiceNow, Salesforce and Office 365. Automate code reviews across development and production.Quality Clouds is a non-invasive cloud-based software that provides code analysis and development governance for your low-code cloud platforms allowing companies to deliver better and quicker.Quality Clouds is a team of professionals from different technolog ... read more about Quality CloudsContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
Highly effective for any kind of regression, load, and various repetitive testing. G+AIDER recognizes images and automates testing based on easy-simple scripts. For more accurate result, G+AIDER tests on real devices. ... read more about G+AIDERContact vendor14 Days100% in Automated Testing Software
Introduction to Automation Testing Software
Let’s face it. You have invested maybe hundreds of hours in creating a unique and viable software application. The journey that commenced from sketching an application idea is on the verge of its completion. You are finally deploying the software on an appropriate platform.
But before your software goes live into the hands of the actual users, you need to test it on a compulsory note. You need to perform the test on various parameters such as basic functionality, user interface, and ensure that it is 100% bug-free. You want to ensure that the application is working hassle-free and seamless navigation.
To be precise, there are two ways in which you can test your software. These include-
- Manual testing
- Automated testing
This buyer’s guide contains a comprehensive overview of automated testing tools, including the core functionalities, advantages, the futuristic trends, tips for selecting the best-automated testing tools, etc.
What is automation or automated testing?
The automated testing is an advanced testing approach where a quality assurance specialist performs tests using cutting-edge technologies and tools. It is a modern practice that involves running and managing the test automatically to receive useful data outputs. This data output is further used to improve software quality and functionality.
The automation testing focuses on comparing the actual result with the predicted results and automates a few necessary repetitive tasks. Automation testing enables testers to carry out additional tests, which may prove intricate during manual testing.
What is the purpose of automated testing?
The purpose of automated testing is defined below-
- Improve the test accuracy- One of the reasons why testers prefer automated testing is that it tends to improve the test’s accuracy. As a result, they can release a much more improved software application that seamlessly runs on the concerned platforms. Automated testing nullifies the chances of creating mistakes by efficiently performing the repeated steps. It never forgets to record the results.
- Save valuable time and money- You often have to repeat a few tests during the development to ensure optimal performance. Every time you plan to launch the software, you need to test it beforehand. If you do all this manually, it proves both time-consuming and costly. But automated tests can save both your valuable time and money. The testing time gets minimized from several days to a few hours.
- Increase in test coverage- With automated testing, you can conduct an in-depth test of your software applications precisely. Automation testing allows you to run hundreds of tests in a short period. Automated testing can also check various vital constraints such as system memory, internal program, data tables, and files, etc., to verify if the application is running as expected.
- Find out the bugs more minutely- The application bugs are the biggest foes of both the developers and the end-users. It relatively makes the application slower, which at times can be very frustrating. Automation testing can remove all such technical and non-technical glitches by finding the bugs more minutely and quickly.
- Eliminate the drawbacks of manual testing- There are many aspects of tests that you cannot carry out appropriately in manual testing. Automation testing enables you to carry all those tasks with a good outcome. You can determine whether the test is successful or not by checking the behavior of the product.
- Simplifying the task of the developers- Automated testing tends to simplify the job of the developers. The application developers and testers can catch critical issues and share information in real-time to make the required changes.
What are the various steps involved in automated testing?
Today as the technology gets more progressive and the projects more complicated, the businesses cannot rely merely on the manual testing process to release a flawless software application. The application developers, the UI and UX designers, and project managers have to work on stiff deadlines where time is very critical. Hence the automation testing process becomes more than an evident option.
The various steps involved in automation testing are as follows-
- The reason your business needs automation testing- First and foremost, you need to determine why you want to conduct an automation testing. You need to properly analyze the various benefits of automation testing and study how cost-effective automated testing as compared to manual testing. This helps you to invest in the best automation testing tool.
- Hiring a quality assurance specialist- The next important task in hand is selecting experienced quality assurance specialists to recruit a professional pool of qualified quality assurance specialists, testers, and automation engineers. You may also have to hire automation architects who have comprehensive knowledge of automation tools. These professionals help you choose the right tools and create a framework for automation testing.
- Selecting the right automation tools- Before choosing the right automation tools, you need to get familiar with the ATLC methodology. ATLC means Automation Testing Life Cycle. ATLC enables you to make quick and efficient decisions, choose the appropriate tools, plan for the automation testing process with test scripts, and management. You also need to ensure that your automation tool complies with all leading technologies with proper reporting methods to display the outcome.
- Choosing applications that need automated testing- This is one of the most crucial steps where you need to select the applications or features that are best suited for automated testing. It is highly recommended that you should first conduct manual testing before conducting the automation testing. Also, the application that you are selecting should not be in the early stages of development. It should have a stable user interface and bug-free verified by manual testers.
- Preparing an automation testing framework- When you are preparing the framework for automation testing, you should ensure that the strategies are planned in such a way that it requires minimal maintenance. Also, any changes made in the application or the scripts must be carried out seamlessly and without interruption.
- Creating an automated testing strategy- Once you have completed creating the framework, it’s time to focus on developing an automated testing strategy. Here you need to make vital selections such as choosing the browser, hardware, and the operating system. Also, you need to make a final budget estimate of the automation test and calculate the ROI. The automation testing plan must be executed following specific requirements of the business.
- Writing scripts- Writing scripts is an inevitable part of automated testing where you have to use proper naming conventions and organize the hands to avert the code loss. You also need to maintain the source code, history, and version control. You can convert the manual testing into automated scripts.
- Reporting- Reporting informs the stakeholders about the current status of application development. You can create custom reports such as auto-emailing reports to the management team. You can write a test report after each execution precisely in table and chart format.
- Maintaining the scripts- When you have to make the desired change in any feature or design of the application, you need script maintenance. Also, if you regularly maintain the scripts, it ensures seamless software applications with no bugs.
- Remain up-to-date with the latest technologies- You need to be abreast of the latest automation testing methodology trends. It helps you optimize automation testing, develops the best strategies, and uses the latest technologies smoothly.
Who is usually involved in the automation testing process?
Suppose you are planning to carry out a successful automation testing by adopting cost-effective measures. In that case, it’s essential to get a team having hands-on experience with proper knowledge of all possible outcomes. Usually, a team that carries out automated testing involves-
- A quality assurance manager or test lead- A quality assurance manager or test lead manages all activities and responsibilities related to automated testing or manual testing. He/ she prepares the plan for carrying out the tests, checking if the test is simultaneously continuing with the development process, preparing the reports, and regularly updating the higher management with testing phases.
- Test engineers or quality assurance testers- The automation testers are professionals who carry out all test activities based on the information and received inputs. The quality assurance testers need to inform the test lead regarding all the available resources. Their main job is to create and prioritize tests. They also have to conduct regression testing if there is any change in the feature or code.
- Automation architects or experts- The automation architects and experts are mainly responsible for building automation frameworks as they have comprehensive knowledge of different automation tools, their pros, and cons. They also set the rules for writing scripts and help in selecting the right test cases for automation.
- Manual testers- You have indeed chosen automated testing, but you cannot ignore manual testers' vital contributions. It is suggested to always first go for manual testing and then begin with automated testing. Also, when you are carrying out specific test scenarios such as exploratory or usability tests, you should prefer manual testing or automation testing.
- Application developers- The developers mostly play an indirect role in software application testing where they have to conduct tests within the Integrated Development Environments or IDEs.
What are the different types of automated testing?
The automated testing is usually classified into five main categories. These are-
- Unit Testing- In a general scenario, the developers carry out the unit testing, but it also is conducted by automated testers. Unit testing focuses on testing a single unit or component of an application or software. It is performed during the development phase.
- Smoke Testing- The quality assurance tester performs the smoke tests to determine a developed product or application's stability. It means the testers want to check whether the app features are running correctly or not, which helps them carry further tests.
- Integration Testing- First, you need to systematically integrate the application and then proceed with the integration testing. The tests are done in a group where the testers emphasize data verification of data communication between various web modules.
- Functional Testing- As the name implies, functional testing is carried out to check if all the application functions and features are appropriately working. The testers usually verify different aspects such as the user interface, APIs, security, server, etc.
- Regression Testing- Regression testing is typically performed to determine if the code’s change has impacted its functionality. It means the new code needs to also work in the same way as the old codes.
There are a few other types of automated testing that are performed based on the requirement. These include keyword testing, data-driven testing, API testing, user interface testing, and much more.
Which are the test cases that need automation testing?
One of the critical questions that you certainly need to answer while conducting automated testing is which test cases are suitable for automation, whereas test cases are best for manual testing. Indeed, you have to understand a few basic rules and consider a few pivotal factors to determine the test cases.
- Tests involving high risks- If you think that the test involves a high element of risks, go for automation testing. It helps to reduce human effort and minimize errors.
- Lengthy and elaborative tests- There are specific tests where you have to interpret massive amounts of data. This usually happens in the case of lengthy and elaborative tests where chances of creating mistakes increase during manual testing. Automated testing helps to automate data incorporation, such as while gathering customer inputs.
- Repetitive or continuous tests- Well, this is understood that if you have to perform repetitive or continuous tests, the best step is to automate it. It saves both your valuable time and resources. Plus, you can get more accurate results each time.
- Tests to determine the pros and cons of a tool- There are specific test case scenarios where you need to select and find out the pros and cons of a tool. You can quickly get the results and decide whether the tool is suitable for a particular task.
- Tests performed to check critical functions of an application- At times, you need to check certain essential functions or features of a software application. The automated testing provides you precise outcomes whether the element is functioning appropriately or it needs to be redeveloped.
- Three Golden Tests- Automated testing becomes more than essential in these three types of application testing. These include smoke tests, regression tests, and sanity tests. The reason for this is that every time you plan to release the application, you need to perform a test.
- Complicated test cases- Again, automation testing is deemed fit if you are performing complex testing. The example includes performance testing.
In addition to these vital test cases, you should also know which test scenarios do not need automated testing.
- If you have to perform the tests only once.
- If you have to run the tests on an immediate basis.
- Tests that require visual confirmation
- Tests are needing random testing, such as exploratory tests.
- Tests that cannot be 100% automated.
What are the top automation testing practices followed by businesses?
Automation testing is an essential discipline that enables business organizations to create seamless and high-performing software applications. But the enterprises need to follow some crucial industry standards and adopt the testing methodologies to execute a test successfully.
Verifying the test tool compatibility- It is imperative to verify the test tools in an isolated environment before installing them into the target. You also need to check whether the test tools and the application are compatible with one another. If you come across any issues after testing the compatibility, you need to work around the solutions. Also, if you are installing any third-party controls to create the application, you should verify the compatibility of automated tools with the third-party control.
Updating the test tools- If you plan to launch an upgraded or improved version of the application, you need to check whether the new version’s scripts are working the same as the previous version. You can provide the added benefit of backend compatibility, meaning the users can reuse the scripts in the new version without making any changes.
Setting up the configuration baseline- You need to ensure that the application's current version has a configuration baseline before installing the automated test tool. Also, get a backup of .dll files before the new installation. You need to conduct this test procedure even if you have performed the test within an isolated environment.
Installing the software- Please avoid installing any new tool within the target if the test environment has already become operational.
Defining the test objectives- You also need to keep in mind, not to over automate the test and focus on finding the errors. Also, avoid automating tests, which can be done manually.
Adopting a simple automation strategy- Try to keep the automation test simple and straightforward. Consider the application size, the test’s length, and your budget estimate and predicted ROI before implementing any specific approach.
Manual vs. automated testing- You need to understand the difference between automatic and manual testing. All tests cannot be automated, and plan your strategy accordingly.
Defining the test development standards- You have to strictly comply with the designing and testing rules or means to get the best optimum results. For example, repetitive tests should always be automated.
Reuse analysis- You need to necessarily perform a reuse analysis of the available test script to avoid repeated automation. You may have limited resources and budget with high-end expectations, so this step becomes quite crucial.
Schedule a test execution- Introduce the automated test tools at the start so that your team is well familiar with the tool and its various features. You need to allocate adequate time so that the system is loaded with test management tools for scheduling the test execution.
How does automated testing differ from the manual testing process?
A quality assurance specialist or a tester has a couple of choices regarding testing an application. These include automated testing and manual testing. Now, it’s essential to draw significant differences between the two based on some parameters.
What are the critical challenges involved during the automation testing process?
Automation testing allows you to unleash a plethora of benefits in the long run. Besides, you also need to tackle a few testing challenges, which you must know to effectively cater to them. These include-
- Effective team collaboration- Automation testing needs the right team communication and collaboration. The entire team needs to understand the objectives and set targets to accomplish the goals. But the problem arises when the team loses its focus, and the collaborative environment loses its track.
- Choosing the right tool- The next intricate challenge that several testers often come across is selecting the right tool for automation testing. There are different tools available, but all are not fit for one purpose. It will help if you have the expertise to choose the appropriate tool.
- Deciding what to automate- Another issue that props up as a challenge for testers is when he/she fails to determine what needs to be automated. This means the challenge is to select the right testing approach.
- High upfront costs- Automation testing can indeed cost a bit during the initial phase, preventing many organizations from going for the automation testing process.
- Knowing when to begin and stop tests- Another tough question that a quality assurance tester has to answer probably is knowing exactly when to begin the trial. The critical concern here is when you start automating at the wrong stage of the software lifecycle.
- Getting skilled resources- Organizations can also face the difficulty of getting across professional resources to conduct automation testing. The testers need to have adequate knowledge about automation tools, but the project gets hampered if they don’t possess the necessary skills.
To counter these challenges and concerns, you need to invest in the best automation testing software, which enables you to unleash an array of advantages and use high-end features.
How will you define an automated testing software?
Automated testing software is an innovative and advanced methodology that empowers business organizations to standardize and accelerate the testing process. It helps to validate the functioning of a software application before the release.
The automation testing software allows quality assurance specialists and testers to accurately and efficiently test the software, prepare the test results, and make a comparative study of the outcome with the expected results. It further simplifies the regression test time and improves software quality.
What are the core features of automated testing software?
- Code-less testing- Code-less testing is also known as scriptless testing, is a modern practice that allows you to automate the tests without using any codes. The drag and drop the feature helps you create tests and run them on multiple browsers. You can even record the test and translate it into any language.
- Effective team collaboration- The automated testing tools enable healthy and robust team collaboration with improved communication between the developers and the testers. The software provides a clearer and concise understanding of which tools to select, which test cases to automate, and more. It helps to complete the task within the stipulated time and budget.
- Repetitive testing- The automation software streamlines and simplifies repetitive or continuous testing. Repetitive testing is an essential part of testing, helping businesses receive inputs on risks regarding a software release. It eases out the complications involved during the testing period.
- Data-driven testing- The automated software testing tool also helps test the data stored in the table or spreadsheet, allowing you to implement one test script for all the test data. You can also refer it to as parameterized testing or table-driven testing.
- Recognizing the object- Object recognition is a crucial feature of automation testing software that acts like an experienced human tester helping you to find different objects such as text fields, a button, or a drop-down selector. It simplifies the task of automation tools such as driving a browser.
- Parallel execution- The online automation tool helps you to execute various tests parallelly at the same time across multiple environments. It means that you don’t have to run the tests sequentially. You can further utilize virtual desktop infrastructure software (VDI) to set up different virtual machines using a cloud test service.
- Test authoring- Using this useful feature, better known as test authoring and execution framework, you can continuously provide a system for the testing team to write scripts and test cases and even run automation. It has only a single infrastructure allowing you to developers to share tests across multiple channels.
- Project templates- The project template is a full description of how you will carry software testing. The document includes various details such as the aim to conduct the test, test plan and strategy, schedule, budget estimate, the vital resources, and the deliverables.
- Keyword-based testing- The automated software testing tool also offers this viable feature where you can use the data files containing all essential keywords to be used in the application. The keywords inform you about the tasks that you need to carry out to complete a step. Keyword-driven testing contains both high and low-level keywords.
- Providing test reports and recording- Automated testing software almost provides accurate and genuine test results that help you to compare the actual and the expected outcome quickly. It also records your interaction with the application to promptly execute the same tests several times efficiently.
- User Interface testing- UI testing is usually performed to determine if the software or application visual elements are working as expected. You can further validate the GUI functions and make it error-free.
Why do you need to implement automated testing software?
There are several reasons why you should implement automated testing software. The important ones include-
- Improved quality- One of the most significant advantages of executing an automation testing software is that it tends to improve the quality of software or application through regression testing. You can check and verify the test results much quicker and then proceed with the further process.
- Easy and early bug detection- With automated testing tools, you can easily and quickly come across the bugs that slow your application's performance. Thus, the application browsing becomes faster, improving the overall customer experience.
- Time-saving- This is one of the major unique selling points of automation testing systems where you get rid of writing long test scripts. This saves a lot of time that you can dedicate to other vital tasks.
- Perform tests 24x7- Automation testing software provides the facility of continuous testing throughout the day without any hindrance. You can start with the testing, leave it as it is, and get the test results within the appointed time.
- Easy Reporting- The automation software can easily track the status of each test script. You can view it in visual logs. You get familiar with the number of tests performed, the number of trials scheduled, and the reported bugs with information on how they were fixed.
- Reusability- Another benefit of automated software testing is that you can easily use the same test scripts for future requirements. You can reutilize them as many times, especially when conducting regression tests.
- Improves test coverage- At times, you may have to undergo a complex coding process such as writing a thousand code lines. The automation solution becomes more than a valuable asset in simplifying this task. The software also ensures that all the application's ins and outs, such as database, UI, features, etc. work in tandem, thus improving the test coverage.
- Enhances accuracy and flexibility- Yes, indeed, with the automation testing process, you can expect much more improved accuracy and flexibility. The test results are more accurate as compared to manual testing. The automated tools are also highly flexible. It means that you can make changes in the code or software with much ease.
- Motivates the team- Well, this is an indirect benefit, but an automation software testing tool can boost your team in providing improved performance. All credit goes to enhanced team collaboration and communication, allowing them to cater to a project seamlessly.
- Distributed test execution- The online automation tool enables you to script and execute the test on various computer systems with a shared server or network.
In addition to these bonus advantages, automated testing software offers various other benefits such as improving the test capabilities, optimizing the workforce, overcoming the drawbacks of manual testing, and boosting the ROI.
What futuristic trends will further drive automation testing software?
The testing methodology has become more advanced and progressive, undergoing a lot of changes over the years. Various futuristic trends drive the automation testing software and will continue to do that further in the upcoming years. The latest trends include-
Rise in codeless automation tests- There is no doubt that codeless automation testing has gained ground in recent years and will continue to surge further in the future. It is an innovative testing methodology that allows testers to think beyond the concept of codes. It will deliver much faster and accurate results and help to boost ROI.
Artificial intelligence- It is essential to note that automation testing is further getting a big boost by aligning with digital transformation technologies. For instance, artificial intelligence will improve automated software testing tools’ reliability and make the applications much more intuitive, interactive, and user-friendly. AI also helps minimize the risks involved in software testing and implementation.
Robotic Process Automation- Another emerging technology that has created a hike, and artificial intelligence is robotic process automation or RPA. With time, RPA will become quite a useful asset in codeless automation. It will also play a pivotal role in data testing and regression testing. It will also increase simplicity, scalability, flexibility, and cost-effectiveness during the testing process.
Agile and DevOps Gets Aligned- As time will progress, the automation testing will further explore agile development and DevOps technology. It means the role of developers and testers will change further up. They will not only focus on planning and executing the test strategies but will also be accountable for improving the overall product quality. Also, the blend of Agile and DevOps will allow business to adopt the fast-growing industry changes quickly.
Integration of IoT Testing- Most organizations have already started to implement and use IoT-powered applications. Now, this will further get a push with automation testing adopting this technology. It will escalate the performance and make the security tighter. It will also help quality assurance specialists improve their skills and gain more expertise in the field. The application updates will happen much faster and smoother.
What key factors should you consider before selecting automation testing tools?
When you have finally decided to invest in an automation testing tool, it’s time to consider the crucial elements for selecting the right automation software.
Identify and check the tool requirements- You need to find the specific requirements when selecting the automation software testing platforms. For example, you must ensure that the software can automatically generate test cases, quickly generate the desired format results, etc.
User-friendly dashboard- The automated testing software must have a user-friendly dashboard where all features of the tool are easily accessible. Also, it must be easy to adapt across various platforms and in the organizational setup.
Evaluate the features- Consider all the features of the automated software testing tool from the various vendors. Evaluate and analyze how the software's included features will help your business thrive and streamline the entire testing process.
Compare the prices- The next important aspect that you need to take into consideration is, of course, pricing. You will get across free automation testing software along with the different subscribed versions. Choose the one that fits your pocket.
Type of Support available- Check what kind of customer support does the software vendor offer? You can check out the genuine reviews of verified customers using the tools.
What is the average cost of automation testing software?
Various deciding factors determine the cost of automation testing software. You will come across free and open source automated testing software such as Appium. If you choose free automated testing tools, you can go for TestProject, TestArchitect, ReTest, and etc. All these software provide a free trial period.
Please don’t stress if you have a small budget in hand. You may explore a few available options such as BrowserStack that comes at an affordable price of $29 per month with a free trial period. You also have ZeuZ costing about $50 per month with a 14-day free trial period.
Now, if you are looking to get the premium ones on board with more exclusive features and unique benefits, then check out QF-Test, which charges a one-time fee of $1995 with 28 days free trial period. There are far more options in this segment, such as Telerik Test Studio, for which you need to pay a one-time payment of $2499. You can also choose the trial version of the software for 30 days. If you have a considerable budget and want to select software on a higher range, then go for Rational Functional Tester costing about $3830. It is a one-time payment with a 30-day free trial period.
Why consider GoodFirms’ list for selecting the best automation testing software?
GoodFirms is an award-winning and premier review and research agency has helped numerous software buyers and service seekers find optimum software solutions within their budget estimate. We have also helped various IT companies and software vendors to boost their brand awareness and provide accurate stats, figures, and research numbers that enabled them to create optimal business strategies with the right futuristic decisions.
You can go through our well-researched automation testing tools list to select the best automated testing solutions that help in creating outstanding software applications.