Best Automation Testing Software
Automated testing software is used for the test cases, which are repeatedly executed, time-consuming, tedious to perform manually, and are critical to the business application. By using an automation testing software, you can fix the bugs flawlessly with double the speed a manual testing process can provide. Below is the list of the latest automation testing tools intricately curated by the GoodFirms’ team. This comprehensive list of automated testing tools includes the details of the features provided by each one of them, along with the authentic reviews by the users. Going through these details can help you in selecting the automation testing software that is just right for your business.
List of Free & Open Source Automated Testing Software with Reviews
LT Browser allows you to perform live mobile view debugging of your website on different devices. You can test on mobile and tablet simultaneously on our browser and debug user issues and see their impact on the go on a wise range of mobile devices. ... read more about LT BrowserContact vendor30 Days100% in Automated Testing Software
The low code / no code, easy to learn platform is technology agnostic, and covers Web, Desktop, Mobile & Hybrid Applications, as well as applications for Robotic Process Automation and Embedded technologies. It supports UI Based Test Automation, API Test Automation and Load Test Automation, by producing an optimal number of test cases written in Gherkin language along with datasets, and executable ... read more about algoQAContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
Appium is an open-source test automation framework for use with native, hybrid and mobile web apps. It drives iOS, Android, and Windows apps using the WebDriver protocol. ... read more about AppiumFree versionAvailable50% in Automated Testing Software
WAPT Pro is a load and performance testing tool that works for any web site from a simple web service to a customized ERP or CRM solution. Mobile web applications, corporate portals and intranet sites implemented with any technologies can be easily tested with WAPT Pro. The test is created in a matter of minutes by recording it in a browser. A few clicks are required to make thousands of virtual ... read more about WAPT ProContact vendor30 Days50% in Automated Testing Software
Cloud-Based Automation Testing Tool for Continuous Testing in Agile & DevOps. Build stable and reliable tests faster using simple English and speed-up the execution and maintenance of automated tests using AI. AI-Driven Test Automation Ecosystem for Web, Mobile Web, Android & iOS Apps, and API automated testing. No coding skills required. ... read more about Testsigma$299 Per Month30 Days100% in Automated Testing Software
LambdaTest is scalable cloud-based platform aimed at bringing all your software testing needs to cloud infrastructure. We help agile development teams speed up their release process to market faster. With LambdaTest, you can seamlessly test your public or locally hosted website or web app across 2000+ different browsers, browser versions, operating systems, and resolutions. With our platform, you ... read more about LambdaTest$119 Per MonthAvailable100% in Automated Testing Software
Continuous testing is a key enabler of digital confidence—the knowledge that you’re delivering the best possible user experience to your customers. Digitally confident organizations know that their web and mobile applications look, function and perform exactly as intended, every single time they’re used. That’s the value of Sauce Labs. ... read more about Sauce Labs$19 Per MonthN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
Zebrunner is an advanced toolkit designed to run tests with a high speed, get 10x faster test results, detect issues & fix bugs asap. It is an all-in-one test automation ecosystem with scalable managed test execution, real-time analytics & comprehensive reporting. Zebrunner ecosystem consists of the following products: - Zebrunner Testing Platform is an ML-powered platform for test execution, ... read more about Zebrunner$999 Per Month14 Days100% in Automated Testing Software
Selenium automates browsers. That's it! What you do with that power is entirely up to you. Primarily, it is for automating web applications for testing purposes, but is certainly not limited to just that. Boring web-based administration tasks can (and should!) also be automated as well. ... read more about SeleniumContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
Unified test automation for web, web services and mobile for Agile and DevOps teams to Shift Left
QMetry's Digital Quality Platform offers Test Automation, Test Management, and Intelligent Quality Metrics to deliver high-quality software faster and intelligently. Designed for agile testing and DevOps teams to build, manage, and deploy quality software faster and with confidence. A complete agile testing solution. ... read more about QMetry Automation StudioContact vendorMore than 30 days100% in Automated Testing Software
Katalon Studio is a powerful automation solution with a comprehensive and integrated set of features from recording test steps, generating scripts to executing and reporting test results for Web, API, Mobile & Desktop app test automation. It has been widely adopted by a global community of users and is recognized as a top automation tool. ... read more about Katalon Studio$69 Per Month30 Days100% in Automated Testing Software
mabl is a test automation solution that helps software teams test at pace with the rapid speed of Agile and DevOps delivery. With a codeless test automation framework and cutting-edge AI and cloud technology, mabl makes continuous testing easy and scalable. Enterprises rely on mabl to move faster and accelerate innovation for their end-users. Simplifying the way software teams create and run robus ... read more about mablContact vendor14 Days100% in Automated Testing Software
PractiTest is an end-to-end QA and Test management solution,designed to help users control their testing and development process, focusing on how to manage their project and its information, and how to communicate testing outcomes to all the relevant stakeholders. The software allow users to organize requirements, create and run tests, tracks bugs etc. Integrations are available with all the leadi ... read more about PractiTest$39 Per MonthN/A50% in Automated Testing Software
TestRail helps you manage and track your software testing efforts and organize your QA department. Its intuitive web-based user interface makes it easy to create test cases, manage test runs and coordinate your entire testing process. Easily track and follow the status of individual tests, milestones, and projects with dashboards and activity reports. Get real-time insights into your testing pr ... read more about TestRail$32 Per Month30 Days100% in Automated Testing Software
The Easiest-to-Use Automated UI Testing Tool with Artificial Intelligence
TestComplete is an automated UI testing tool that makes it fast and easy to create, maintain, and execute functional tests across desktop, web, and mobile applications. With TestComplete, you can increase test coverage and ensure you ship high-quality, battle-tested software. ... read more about TestComplete$2579 One-time30 Days100% in Automated Testing Software
Accelerate testing with Ranorex Studio, your all-in-one tool for UI test automation. Perform end-to-end testing on desktop, web, and mobile platforms. Automate challenging interfaces such as ERP and legacy applications. Run regression tests in parallel or distribute them on a Selenium Grid for fast feedback on application quality. Ranorex Studio is easy for beginners with a codeless click-and-go i ... read more about Ranorex Studio$3590 Per Year30 Days100% in Automated Testing Software
The LEAPWORK Automation Platform is an all-in-one productivity tool for automating repetitive processes, from software functional testing to business verification. Users can build and execute automation cases from day one with the flowchart-based designer. The LEAPWORK Automation Platform lets both technical and non-technical specialists design automation flows, without ever typing or reading a si ... read more about LEAPWORKContact vendor14 Days100% in Automated Testing Software
All your team needs in one place: Qualibrate is the 3 in 1 cloud solution to deliver SAP and Web applications faster. By simply recording your business process you can run automated and manual testing, create updated documentation and end-user training, in minutes. Qualibrate vision is to embrace this new transformation. It delivers value on centralized collaboration workspaces using business proc ... read more about QualibrateContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
Automate your web testing on real mobile & desktop browsers. Run Selenium, Appium, and other test frameworks in parallel against our reliable and secure testing platform. Get access to the combination of Browser, OS, Resolution, and Devices your customers are using. ... read more about CrossBrowserTesting$104 Per Month7 Days100% in Automated Testing Software
Cloud-based platform for end-to-end test automation which covers web, native mobile, desktop, web service, and more. Anyone with basic QA knowledge can create and execute robust automation using our web interface. Extensive APIs allow for integration into JIRA, Jenkins, GitHub, or any DevOps platform for test automation in real-time. ... read more about Subject7Contact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
TestProject is a free end-to-end test automation platform community-powered platform for recording, developing and analyzing test automation. All in one simple package with infinite testing possibilities for Web, Android, and iOS applications. ... read more about TestProjectFree versionAvailable100% in Automated Testing Software
Automated Testing platform that allows businesses to manage test refactoring, test runs, feature history, and more. Designed for businesses in behavior-driven development, agile testing, and DevOps industry, it is an automated testing platform that provides scenario editor, product digest, and more. ... read more about CucumberStudio$21 Per Month30 Days100% in Automated Testing Software
The Industry's #1 API Testing Tool: APIs and Microservices are transforming the way organizations do business in the digital world, and testing them is becoming more critical than ever. SoapUI Pro gives development and testing teams a powerful solution to create, run, and analyze complex tests on REST and SOAP APIs, JMS, JDBC, and other web services. Download SoapUI Pro to try a free trial today! ... read more about SoapUI$709 Per YearAvailable100% in Automated Testing Software
Tricentis Tosca, the #1 Continuous Testing platform, accelerates testing with a script-less, no-code approach for end-to-end test automation. With support for over 160+ technologies and enterprise applications, Tosca provides resilient test automation for any use case. ... read more about Tricentis ToscaContact vendor7 Days50% in Automated Testing Software
Get automated testing capabilities for functional, regression, GUI and data-driven testing.
IBM Rational Functional Tester is an automated functional testing and regression testing tool. This software provides automated testing capabilities for functional, regression, GUI and data-driven testing. It supports a range of applications, such as web-based, .Net, Java, Siebel, SAP, terminal emulator-based applications, PowerBuilder, Ajax, Adobe Flex, Dojo Toolkit, GEF, Adobe PDF documents, zSe ... read more about Rational Functional Tester$3830 Per Year30 Days100% in Automated Testing Software
At Worksoft, we’re SAP testing experts. Our code-free technology empowers the world's largest enterprises to keep pace with cloud release schedules, reduce risk. Worksoft is considered the “gold standard” for testing SAP applications. Even SAP uses Worksoft to test SAP. We combine that deep, unparalleled SAP testing expertise with our industry-leading, code-free continuous automation platfor ... read more about WorksoftContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
Testimony reinvents SAP regression testing to increase the quality of change and minimize business risk. It accelerates innovation and avoids the cost, effort and complexity of traditional testing methods by eliminating script creation and maintenance. Robotic Test Automation automatically creates and updates a comprehensive regression test library that accurately reflects a day in the life of you ... read more about TestimonyContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
BrowserStack is a leading software testing platform powering over two million tests every day across 15 global data centers. With BrowserStack, developers can comprehensively test their websites and mobile applications across 2,000+ real mobile devices and browsers in a single cloud platform—and at scale. BrowserStack helps Tesco, Shell, NVIDIA, Discovery, Wells Fargo, and over 50,000 customers ... read more about BrowserStack$29 Per MonthAvailable100% in Automated Testing Software
A Codeless Test Automation Tool for UI, Functional and Database Testing of your Web, Mobile and Cloud Applications. TestingWhiz is an easy and intuitive test automation tool for Database Testing, Functional Web UI Testing, Distributed Test Execution, Regression Testing and Cross Browser Testing. TestingWhiz provides highest number of third party integrations and features to make your test automati ... read more about TestingWhizContact vendor30 Days100% in Automated Testing Software
RPA increases productivity and reduces errors by automating the execution of repetitive process tasks. Robotic process automation, or RPA, automates manual developer processes, making business users more effective and simultaneously improving business outcomes by reducing the errors involved in manual data entry. Because RPA is often included in discussions of AI-driven testing and other advanced ... read more about EggplantContact vendorN/A100% in Automated Testing Software
AscentialTest provides facilities for test planning, test data management, manual and automated test development, test execution, defect tracking and reporting. Built around our patented 'smart image' technology, our users build test components by dragging and dropping from a series of application screen images. Our solution produces robust, easy to maintain tests, developed without a requirement ... read more about AscentialTestContact vendor30 Days100% in Automated Testing Software
ZeuZ is a cloud-based and on-premise, DevOps ready, and AI supported test automation platform for mobile, web, desktop, API, IoT, and cloud services. Included in ZeuZ are 50+ tools such as Selenium, Appium, image comparison, voice recognition, pefformance testing – all scriptless, easy to use, and ready for anyone to build complex test workflows. You can create one test case spanning all technol ... read more about ZeuZ$50 Per Year14 Days100% in Automated Testing Software
Introduction to Automation Testing Software
Let’s face it. You have invested maybe hundreds of hours in creating a unique and viable software application. The journey that commenced from sketching an application idea is on the verge of its completion. You are finally deploying the software on an appropriate platform.
But before your software goes live into the hands of the actual users, you need to test it on a compulsory note. You need to perform the test on various parameters such as basic functionality, user interface, and ensure that it is 100% bug-free. You want to ensure that the application is working hassle-free and seamless navigation.
To be precise, there are two ways in which you can test your software. These include-
- Manual testing
- Automated testing
This buyer’s guide contains a comprehensive overview of automated testing tools, including the core functionalities, advantages, the futuristic trends, tips for selecting the best-automated testing tools, etc.
What is automation or automated testing?
The automated testing is an advanced testing approach where a quality assurance specialist performs tests using cutting-edge technologies and tools. It is a modern practice that involves running and managing the test automatically to receive useful data outputs. This data output is further used to improve software quality and functionality.
The automation testing focuses on comparing the actual result with the predicted results and automates a few necessary repetitive tasks. Automation testing enables testers to carry out additional tests, which may prove intricate during manual testing.
What is the purpose of automated testing?
The purpose of automated testing is defined below-
- Improve the test accuracy- One of the reasons why testers prefer automated testing is that it tends to improve the test’s accuracy. As a result, they can release a much more improved software application that seamlessly runs on the concerned platforms. Automated testing nullifies the chances of creating mistakes by efficiently performing the repeated steps. It never forgets to record the results.
- Save valuable time and money- You often have to repeat a few tests during the development to ensure optimal performance. Every time you plan to launch the software, you need to test it beforehand. If you do all this manually, it proves both time-consuming and costly. But automated tests can save both your valuable time and money. The testing time gets minimized from several days to a few hours.
- Increase in test coverage- With automated testing, you can conduct an in-depth test of your software applications precisely. Automation testing allows you to run hundreds of tests in a short period. Automated testing can also check various vital constraints such as system memory, internal program, data tables, and files, etc., to verify if the application is running as expected.
- Find out the bugs more minutely- The application bugs are the biggest foes of both the developers and the end-users. It relatively makes the application slower, which at times can be very frustrating. Automation testing can remove all such technical and non-technical glitches by finding the bugs more minutely and quickly.
- Eliminate the drawbacks of manual testing- There are many aspects of tests that you cannot carry out appropriately in manual testing. Automation testing enables you to carry all those tasks with a good outcome. You can determine whether the test is successful or not by checking the behavior of the product.
- Simplifying the task of the developers- Automated testing tends to simplify the job of the developers. The application developers and testers can catch critical issues and share information in real-time to make the required changes.
What are the various steps involved in automated testing?
Today as the technology gets more progressive and the projects more complicated, the businesses cannot rely merely on the manual testing process to release a flawless software application. The application developers, the UI and UX designers, and project managers have to work on stiff deadlines where time is very critical. Hence the automation testing process becomes more than an evident option.
The various steps involved in automation testing are as follows-
- The reason your business needs automation testing- First and foremost, you need to determine why you want to conduct an automation testing. You need to properly analyze the various benefits of automation testing and study how cost-effective automated testing as compared to manual testing. This helps you to invest in the best automation testing tool.
- Hiring a quality assurance specialist- The next important task in hand is selecting experienced quality assurance specialists to recruit a professional pool of qualified quality assurance specialists, testers, and automation engineers. You may also have to hire automation architects who have comprehensive knowledge of automation tools. These professionals help you choose the right tools and create a framework for automation testing.
- Selecting the right automation tools- Before choosing the right automation tools, you need to get familiar with the ATLC methodology. ATLC means Automation Testing Life Cycle. ATLC enables you to make quick and efficient decisions, choose the appropriate tools, plan for the automation testing process with test scripts, and management. You also need to ensure that your automation tool complies with all leading technologies with proper reporting methods to display the outcome.
- Choosing applications that need automated testing- This is one of the most crucial steps where you need to select the applications or features that are best suited for automated testing. It is highly recommended that you should first conduct manual testing before conducting the automation testing. Also, the application that you are selecting should not be in the early stages of development. It should have a stable user interface and bug-free verified by manual testers.
- Preparing an automation testing framework- When you are preparing the framework for automation testing, you should ensure that the strategies are planned in such a way that it requires minimal maintenance. Also, any changes made in the application or the scripts must be carried out seamlessly and without interruption.
- Creating an automated testing strategy- Once you have completed creating the framework, it’s time to focus on developing an automated testing strategy. Here you need to make vital selections such as choosing the browser, hardware, and the operating system. Also, you need to make a final budget estimate of the automation test and calculate the ROI. The automation testing plan must be executed following specific requirements of the business.
- Writing scripts- Writing scripts is an inevitable part of automated testing where you have to use proper naming conventions and organize the hands to avert the code loss. You also need to maintain the source code, history, and version control. You can convert the manual testing into automated scripts.
- Reporting- Reporting informs the stakeholders about the current status of application development. You can create custom reports such as auto-emailing reports to the management team. You can write a test report after each execution precisely in table and chart format.
- Maintaining the scripts- When you have to make the desired change in any feature or design of the application, you need script maintenance. Also, if you regularly maintain the scripts, it ensures seamless software applications with no bugs.
- Remain up-to-date with the latest technologies- You need to be abreast of the latest automation testing methodology trends. It helps you optimize automation testing, develops the best strategies, and uses the latest technologies smoothly.
Who is usually involved in the automation testing process?
Suppose you are planning to carry out a successful automation testing by adopting cost-effective measures. In that case, it’s essential to get a team having hands-on experience with proper knowledge of all possible outcomes. Usually, a team that carries out automated testing involves-
- A quality assurance manager or test lead- A quality assurance manager or test lead manages all activities and responsibilities related to automated testing or manual testing. He/ she prepares the plan for carrying out the tests, checking if the test is simultaneously continuing with the development process, preparing the reports, and regularly updating the higher management with testing phases.
- Test engineers or quality assurance testers- The automation testers are professionals who carry out all test activities based on the information and received inputs. The quality assurance testers need to inform the test lead regarding all the available resources. Their main job is to create and prioritize tests. They also have to conduct regression testing if there is any change in the feature or code.
- Automation architects or experts- The automation architects and experts are mainly responsible for building automation frameworks as they have comprehensive knowledge of different automation tools, their pros, and cons. They also set the rules for writing scripts and help in selecting the right test cases for automation.
- Manual testers- You have indeed chosen automated testing, but you cannot ignore manual testers' vital contributions. It is suggested to always first go for manual testing and then begin with automated testing. Also, when you are carrying out specific test scenarios such as exploratory or usability tests, you should prefer manual testing or automation testing.
- Application developers- The developers mostly play an indirect role in software application testing where they have to conduct tests within the Integrated Development Environments or IDEs.
What are the different types of automated testing?
The automated testing is usually classified into five main categories. These are-
- Unit Testing- In a general scenario, the developers carry out the unit testing, but it also is conducted by automated testers. Unit testing focuses on testing a single unit or component of an application or software. It is performed during the development phase.
- Smoke Testing- The quality assurance tester performs the smoke tests to determine a developed product or application's stability. It means the testers want to check whether the app features are running correctly or not, which helps them carry further tests.
- Integration Testing- First, you need to systematically integrate the application and then proceed with the integration testing. The tests are done in a group where the testers emphasize data verification of data communication between various web modules.
- Functional Testing- As the name implies, functional testing is carried out to check if all the application functions and features are appropriately working. The testers usually verify different aspects such as the user interface, APIs, security, server, etc.
- Regression Testing- Regression testing is typically performed to determine if the code’s change has impacted its functionality. It means the new code needs to also work in the same way as the old codes.
There are a few other types of automated testing that are performed based on the requirement. These include keyword testing, data-driven testing, API testing, user interface testing, and much more.
Which are the test cases that need automation testing?
One of the critical questions that you certainly need to answer while conducting automated testing is which test cases are suitable for automation, whereas test cases are best for manual testing. Indeed, you have to understand a few basic rules and consider a few pivotal factors to determine the test cases.
- Tests involving high risks- If you think that the test involves a high element of risks, go for automation testing. It helps to reduce human effort and minimize errors.
- Lengthy and elaborative tests- There are specific tests where you have to interpret massive amounts of data. This usually happens in the case of lengthy and elaborative tests where chances of creating mistakes increase during manual testing. Automated testing helps to automate data incorporation, such as while gathering customer inputs.
- Repetitive or continuous tests- Well, this is understood that if you have to perform repetitive or continuous tests, the best step is to automate it. It saves both your valuable time and resources. Plus, you can get more accurate results each time.
- Tests to determine the pros and cons of a tool- There are specific test case scenarios where you need to select and find out the pros and cons of a tool. You can quickly get the results and decide whether the tool is suitable for a particular task.
- Tests performed to check critical functions of an application- At times, you need to check certain essential functions or features of a software application. The automated testing provides you precise outcomes whether the element is functioning appropriately or it needs to be redeveloped.
- Three Golden Tests- Automated testing becomes more than essential in these three types of application testing. These include smoke tests, regression tests, and sanity tests. The reason for this is that every time you plan to release the application, you need to perform a test.
- Complicated test cases- Again, automation testing is deemed fit if you are performing complex testing. The example includes performance testing.
In addition to these vital test cases, you should also know which test scenarios do not need automated testing.
- If you have to perform the tests only once.
- If you have to run the tests on an immediate basis.
- Tests that require visual confirmation
- Tests are needing random testing, such as exploratory tests.
- Tests that cannot be 100% automated.
What are the top automation testing practices followed by businesses?
Automation testing is an essential discipline that enables business organizations to create seamless and high-performing software applications. But the enterprises need to follow some crucial industry standards and adopt the testing methodologies to execute a test successfully.
Verifying the test tool compatibility- It is imperative to verify the test tools in an isolated environment before installing them into the target. You also need to check whether the test tools and the application are compatible with one another. If you come across any issues after testing the compatibility, you need to work around the solutions. Also, if you are installing any third-party controls to create the application, you should verify the compatibility of automated tools with the third-party control.
Updating the test tools- If you plan to launch an upgraded or improved version of the application, you need to check whether the new version’s scripts are working the same as the previous version. You can provide the added benefit of backend compatibility, meaning the users can reuse the scripts in the new version without making any changes.
Setting up the configuration baseline- You need to ensure that the application's current version has a configuration baseline before installing the automated test tool. Also, get a backup of .dll files before the new installation. You need to conduct this test procedure even if you have performed the test within an isolated environment.
Installing the software- Please avoid installing any new tool within the target if the test environment has already become operational.
Defining the test objectives- You also need to keep in mind, not to over automate the test and focus on finding the errors. Also, avoid automating tests, which can be done manually.
Adopting a simple automation strategy- Try to keep the automation test simple and straightforward. Consider the application size, the test’s length, and your budget estimate and predicted ROI before implementing any specific approach.
Manual vs. automated testing- You need to understand the difference between automatic and manual testing. All tests cannot be automated, and plan your strategy accordingly.
Defining the test development standards- You have to strictly comply with the designing and testing rules or means to get the best optimum results. For example, repetitive tests should always be automated.
Reuse analysis- You need to necessarily perform a reuse analysis of the available test script to avoid repeated automation. You may have limited resources and budget with high-end expectations, so this step becomes quite crucial.
Schedule a test execution- Introduce the automated test tools at the start so that your team is well familiar with the tool and its various features. You need to allocate adequate time so that the system is loaded with test management tools for scheduling the test execution.
How does automated testing differ from the manual testing process?
A quality assurance specialist or a tester has a couple of choices regarding testing an application. These include automated testing and manual testing. Now, it’s essential to draw significant differences between the two based on some parameters.
What are the critical challenges involved during the automation testing process?
Automation testing allows you to unleash a plethora of benefits in the long run. Besides, you also need to tackle a few testing challenges, which you must know to effectively cater to them. These include-
- Effective team collaboration- Automation testing needs the right team communication and collaboration. The entire team needs to understand the objectives and set targets to accomplish the goals. But the problem arises when the team loses its focus, and the collaborative environment loses its track.
- Choosing the right tool- The next intricate challenge that several testers often come across is selecting the right tool for automation testing. There are different tools available, but all are not fit for one purpose. It will help if you have the expertise to choose the appropriate tool.
- Deciding what to automate- Another issue that props up as a challenge for testers is when he/she fails to determine what needs to be automated. This means the challenge is to select the right testing approach.
- High upfront costs- Automation testing can indeed cost a bit during the initial phase, preventing many organizations from going for the automation testing process.
- Knowing when to begin and stop tests- Another tough question that a quality assurance tester has to answer probably is knowing exactly when to begin the trial. The critical concern here is when you start automating at the wrong stage of the software lifecycle.
- Getting skilled resources- Organizations can also face the difficulty of getting across professional resources to conduct automation testing. The testers need to have adequate knowledge about automation tools, but the project gets hampered if they don’t possess the necessary skills.
To counter these challenges and concerns, you need to invest in the best automation testing software, which enables you to unleash an array of advantages and use high-end features.
How will you define an automated testing software?
Automated testing software is an innovative and advanced methodology that empowers business organizations to standardize and accelerate the testing process. It helps to validate the functioning of a software application before the release.
The automation testing software allows quality assurance specialists and testers to accurately and efficiently test the software, prepare the test results, and make a comparative study of the outcome with the expected results. It further simplifies the regression test time and improves software quality.
What are the core features of automated testing software?
- Code-less testing- Code-less testing is also known as scriptless testing, is a modern practice that allows you to automate the tests without using any codes. The drag and drop the feature helps you create tests and run them on multiple browsers. You can even record the test and translate it into any language.
- Effective team collaboration- The automated testing tools enable healthy and robust team collaboration with improved communication between the developers and the testers. The software provides a clearer and concise understanding of which tools to select, which test cases to automate, and more. It helps to complete the task within the stipulated time and budget.
- Repetitive testing- The automation software streamlines and simplifies repetitive or continuous testing. Repetitive testing is an essential part of testing, helping businesses receive inputs on risks regarding a software release. It eases out the complications involved during the testing period.
- Data-driven testing- The automated software testing tool also helps test the data stored in the table or spreadsheet, allowing you to implement one test script for all the test data. You can also refer it to as parameterized testing or table-driven testing.
- Recognizing the object- Object recognition is a crucial feature of automation testing software that acts like an experienced human tester helping you to find different objects such as text fields, a button, or a drop-down selector. It simplifies the task of automation tools such as driving a browser.
- Parallel execution- The online automation tool helps you to execute various tests parallelly at the same time across multiple environments. It means that you don’t have to run the tests sequentially. You can further utilize virtual desktop infrastructure software (VDI) to set up different virtual machines using a cloud test service.
- Test authoring- Using this useful feature, better known as test authoring and execution framework, you can continuously provide a system for the testing team to write scripts and test cases and even run automation. It has only a single infrastructure allowing you to developers to share tests across multiple channels.
- Project templates- The project template is a full description of how you will carry software testing. The document includes various details such as the aim to conduct the test, test plan and strategy, schedule, budget estimate, the vital resources, and the deliverables.
- Keyword-based testing- The automated software testing tool also offers this viable feature where you can use the data files containing all essential keywords to be used in the application. The keywords inform you about the tasks that you need to carry out to complete a step. Keyword-driven testing contains both high and low-level keywords.
- Providing test reports and recording- Automated testing software almost provides accurate and genuine test results that help you to compare the actual and the expected outcome quickly. It also records your interaction with the application to promptly execute the same tests several times efficiently.
- User Interface testing- UI testing is usually performed to determine if the software or application visual elements are working as expected. You can further validate the GUI functions and make it error-free.
Why do you need to implement automated testing software?
There are several reasons why you should implement automated testing software. The important ones include-
- Improved quality- One of the most significant advantages of executing an automation testing software is that it tends to improve the quality of software or application through regression testing. You can check and verify the test results much quicker and then proceed with the further process.
- Easy and early bug detection- With automated testing tools, you can easily and quickly come across the bugs that slow your application's performance. Thus, the application browsing becomes faster, improving the overall customer experience.
- Time-saving- This is one of the major unique selling points of automation testing systems where you get rid of writing long test scripts. This saves a lot of time that you can dedicate to other vital tasks.
- Perform tests 24x7- Automation testing software provides the facility of continuous testing throughout the day without any hindrance. You can start with the testing, leave it as it is, and get the test results within the appointed time.
- Easy Reporting- The automation software can easily track the status of each test script. You can view it in visual logs. You get familiar with the number of tests performed, the number of trials scheduled, and the reported bugs with information on how they were fixed.
- Reusability- Another benefit of automated software testing is that you can easily use the same test scripts for future requirements. You can reutilize them as many times, especially when conducting regression tests.
- Improves test coverage- At times, you may have to undergo a complex coding process such as writing a thousand code lines. The automation solution becomes more than a valuable asset in simplifying this task. The software also ensures that all the application's ins and outs, such as database, UI, features, etc. work in tandem, thus improving the test coverage.
- Enhances accuracy and flexibility- Yes, indeed, with the automation testing process, you can expect much more improved accuracy and flexibility. The test results are more accurate as compared to manual testing. The automated tools are also highly flexible. It means that you can make changes in the code or software with much ease.
- Motivates the team- Well, this is an indirect benefit, but an automation software testing tool can boost your team in providing improved performance. All credit goes to enhanced team collaboration and communication, allowing them to cater to a project seamlessly.
- Distributed test execution- The online automation tool enables you to script and execute the test on various computer systems with a shared server or network.
In addition to these bonus advantages, automated testing software offers various other benefits such as improving the test capabilities, optimizing the workforce, overcoming the drawbacks of manual testing, and boosting the ROI.
What futuristic trends will further drive automation testing software?
The testing methodology has become more advanced and progressive, undergoing a lot of changes over the years. Various futuristic trends drive the automation testing software and will continue to do that further in the upcoming years. The latest trends include-
Rise in codeless automation tests- There is no doubt that codeless automation testing has gained ground in recent years and will continue to surge further in the future. It is an innovative testing methodology that allows testers to think beyond the concept of codes. It will deliver much faster and accurate results and help to boost ROI.
Artificial intelligence- It is essential to note that automation testing is further getting a big boost by aligning with digital transformation technologies. For instance, artificial intelligence will improve automated software testing tools’ reliability and make the applications much more intuitive, interactive, and user-friendly. AI also helps minimize the risks involved in software testing and implementation.
Robotic Process Automation- Another emerging technology that has created a hike, and artificial intelligence is robotic process automation or RPA. With time, RPA will become quite a useful asset in codeless automation. It will also play a pivotal role in data testing and regression testing. It will also increase simplicity, scalability, flexibility, and cost-effectiveness during the testing process.
Agile and DevOps Gets Aligned- As time will progress, the automation testing will further explore agile development and DevOps technology. It means the role of developers and testers will change further up. They will not only focus on planning and executing the test strategies but will also be accountable for improving the overall product quality. Also, the blend of Agile and DevOps will allow business to adopt the fast-growing industry changes quickly.
Integration of IoT Testing- Most organizations have already started to implement and use IoT-powered applications. Now, this will further get a push with automation testing adopting this technology. It will escalate the performance and make the security tighter. It will also help quality assurance specialists improve their skills and gain more expertise in the field. The application updates will happen much faster and smoother.
What key factors should you consider before selecting automation testing tools?
When you have finally decided to invest in an automation testing tool, it’s time to consider the crucial elements for selecting the right automation software.
Identify and check the tool requirements- You need to find the specific requirements when selecting the automation software testing platforms. For example, you must ensure that the software can automatically generate test cases, quickly generate the desired format results, etc.
User-friendly dashboard- The automated testing software must have a user-friendly dashboard where all features of the tool are easily accessible. Also, it must be easy to adapt across various platforms and in the organizational setup.
Evaluate the features- Consider all the features of the automated software testing tool from the various vendors. Evaluate and analyze how the software's included features will help your business thrive and streamline the entire testing process.
Compare the prices- The next important aspect that you need to take into consideration is, of course, pricing. You will get across free automation testing software along with the different subscribed versions. Choose the one that fits your pocket.
Type of Support available- Check what kind of customer support does the software vendor offer? You can check out the genuine reviews of verified customers using the tools.
What is the average cost of automation testing software?
Various deciding factors determine the cost of automation testing software. You will come across free and open source automated testing software such as Appium. If you choose free automated testing tools, you can go for TestProject, TestArchitect, ReTest, and etc. All these software provide a free trial period.
Please don’t stress if you have a small budget in hand. You may explore a few available options such as BrowserStack that comes at an affordable price of $29 per month with a free trial period. You also have ZeuZ costing about $50 per month with a 14-day free trial period.
Now, if you are looking to get the premium ones on board with more exclusive features and unique benefits, then check out QF-Test, which charges a one-time fee of $1995 with 28 days free trial period. There are far more options in this segment, such as Telerik Test Studio, for which you need to pay a one-time payment of $2499. You can also choose the trial version of the software for 30 days. If you have a considerable budget and want to select software on a higher range, then go for Rational Functional Tester costing about $3830. It is a one-time payment with a 30-day free trial period.
Why consider GoodFirms’ list for selecting the best automation testing software?
GoodFirms is an award-winning and premier review and research agency has helped numerous software buyers and service seekers find optimum software solutions within their budget estimate. We have also helped various IT companies and software vendors to boost their brand awareness and provide accurate stats, figures, and research numbers that enabled them to create optimal business strategies with the right futuristic decisions.
You can go through our well-researched automation testing tools list to select the best automated testing solutions that help in creating outstanding software applications.