Top 7 Free & Open Source Video Editing Software Systems
What is better than having a perfect software program to manage your digital files!
And if they are some video files, you can edit and manage them separately using advanced video editing software systems or programs.
You can view video files on a computer or a device using appropriate viewing software. You can also upload the files to the video sharing websites or export them to external media like DVDs etc.
Basically, video editing process involves manipulating the video images. Your video editing software can record videos, but editing is the part of post-production process, where you have to edit and transform video images into perfect 2D and 3D digital file formats.
Video Editing Software
It is a specifically build-up program that helps you to make changes to the already developed digital video files. It also serves best being used as advanced tool for video files correction and effect, colour and graphics correction, audio effects and editing etc.
Whether you own fancy lights and an expensive camera or have your iPhone to record images, videos, and films, you must be pretty sure of coming up with the best possible ways to keep your audience engaged.
A rough, miss-managed, video production destroys your entire hard work. Hence, you essentially need a tool that cannot just edit the unwanted frames, but also manage the visuals accordingly and synchronizing.
Benefits of Editing Videos Digitally
If you have open-source video editing software, then you can easily modify the video. The fact behind it is simplicity in manipulation and performance. Proprietary based software needs the user to get permit by the company to access and edit the source code. Whereas, anyone can access and edit the source code of the open source or free video editing software as they are not the closed source ones.
As these software systems are available for free, you should not take them so casually. In fact, they are stable and secure than the closed source software programs. They are most importantly considered by small businesses and start-ups due to their budget constraints. This way, it is money saving as well.
Good quality video editing software does not require any plug-in to use. You can use your smartphones and small cameras to create videos and add some transitional effects to it using video editing software.
Now video editing is possible for everyone. It does not require any hands-on training. Instead, one can just download the editing software and go with it with ease.
Another benefit of using such kind of software programs is to acquire high quality of the video. You can turn the video quality to the high resolution and high definition videos.
Good video editing software helps you to create and edit the videos from the comforts of your home. This way, you are free to customize the video as per your taste and requirements.
Problems while not having a Video Editor
Without having a good video editing tool, you should rest behind with a not-so-good-looking-and-sounding video. You could hardly even rectify the errors it contains.
Your entire work project may get futile if it contains the bad quality video and so, editing is quintessential. Or else, it may further affect your company and business.
You may lack behind your competitors with your time and effort wastage.
Less number of views online can get increased with share support in the social media.
You may present bad image and reputation of your company with enhancing negative viral publicity.
Professional Video Editors
There is a wide variety of audience that rely on video editing software for their business as well as technical requirements.
Companies employ qualified video editors and professionals to handle the tool perfectly.
Marketing and content departments in the companies use such kind of tools correlated to video effects software for developing quality based promotional videos and other movie files for their company.
Professional video editors and engineers also commonly use these programs for producing movies, TV shows and other media.
Some hobbyists, artists, and freelancers also use such kind of tools for meeting their video edits requirements.
Let’s check out the basic functionality of Online Video Editing
A wide range of online video editing tools have their own performance diversification. Few of them may have some similar features, but majority of them are different to one another. Hence, their mechanism also differs.
When talking about the free and open-source video editing tools, most of them require downloading first.
You can download them through their website and run onto the computer. A good one should not ‘eat much of your web and system’s space’. Hence, check out their weight and properties before final downloading.
Here follows some general features of the video editing software that will always help the users to go with their editing jobs.
- It allows the users to upload the video files.
- It provides tool for arranging, clipping and manipulating the videos.
- It saves as well as exports the completed files in one or more types of files.
Top 7 Free and Open Source Video Editing Software Systems in the Industry
With some updated build scripts, the new version of KDEnlive 18.08.3 is now released. Based on Microsoft and Linux, it is a non-linear video editor that works under the KDE desktop environment. The software offers a variety of editing and project management tools based on a dedicated program for performing editing operations.
- KDEnlive supports all the formats that are supportive to Ffmpeg like MOV, AVI, WMV, MPEG, XviD, and FLV.
- It also supports 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratios for PAL, NTSC and different HD standards with HDV along with giving experimental support for AVCHD.
- You can also export the videos through KDEnlive to DV devices or copy them to a DVD.
- Video preview facility, multi-track editing, creative effects, tilting features, audio and video thumbnails, customizable layouts, desktop integration etc are some of its general tools.
- This software accepts many audio/video/image formats like mpeg, avi, dv, vob, wav, ogg, mp3, gif (non-animated), jpg, png, svg.
- Customizable layouts and desktop integration.
- Stop motion capture.
- Audio spectrum and spectrogram.
- Multi-track view and widgets layouts.
- Light graffiti.
- Audio and video thumbnails.
- Export to most of famous formats: mpeg, dv, vob, realvideo, flash, theora, wav, mp3, xvid, quicktime.
With the latest released version 0.999, the free and open source video editing software - Pitivi is constantly ranking among the top software programs in the list. The beautiful and intuitive user interface of the software keeps its audience engaged. The software is capable of displaying hundreds of animated effects, filters, and transitions. It is flexible and efficient and it works under frame-rated and independent timeline. It is an easy to learn software and exciting to master as well.
- Pitivi is supported by the GStreamer Multimedia Framework and so, it can accept any format of videos for editing.
- It facilitates accessing more than 70 industry-standard transitions and filters, a hundred video and audio effects and animated effects.
- The software is flexible and efficient and it always works on the basis of true precision.
- It comprises some time-saving features like rippled and roll editing, real-time trimming previews, real-time searching and assets management, grouping and snapping, non modal cutting, play-head centric zooming and editing, smooth scrolling and automatic zoom adjustment.
- Accurate to nanosecond that is much better than being frame-accurate.
- Pitivi represents loudness in a clear and accurate manner so that it becomes easier to balance things or detect pattern for beat matching and clap synchronization easily.
- This software is available in different languages.
- The intuitive user-interface and self-documenting ability provide the user all contextual hints that one requires knowing about the essentials so that it does not require to checking the user manual every now and then.
- Pitivi perfectly integrates with the GNOME desktop or any Linux desktop environment.
- It facilitates background processing and automatic project backups.
Designed for Microsoft Windows, Linux and Mac OS X, Virtualdub is a popular free and open-source video capturing software and video processing software. This software is basically designed to process the linear video streams like recompression and filtering. To store the captured video, it uses AVI container format.
- Virtualdub supports your video capturing with fractional frame-rates.
- It lets you create AVI2 (OpenDML) files and multi-segment AVI clips with real-time downsizing, field swapping and noise reduction.
- Clean interface layout comprising status bar, menu bar, caption and info panel.
- MPEG-1 integrated and Motion-JPEG decoders.
- Without even touching the video, you can remove as well as replace the audio track.
- Decompressing and recompressing facility for both audio and video.
- Facility of previewing the video while live streaming.
- Easy adjustment of frame rates, frame decimation and 3:2 pull-down removals.
- High speed video editing, both in the processing pipeline and in the interface. It captures with 1.3x times the real-time speed i.e. 40 frames per second on a C450 and the speed rises up to 1.8x times i.e. 55 fps with a little tweaking.
- It is a ‘no risk involved’ kind of software where source code can also be made available if requested.
A free video editor and a simple tool to cut, edit, filter and encode video related stuffs - best known as Avidemux video editor. It supports a wide variety of file formats like AVI and DVD compatible MPEG files, ASF and MP4 files along with a diverse range of codecs as well. This exceptionally designed program for video editing and video processing is written in C++ language and use Qt or GTK for its user interface.
- One of the best programs for non-linear video edits requirements.
- Applies visual effects to videos and transforms videos into different video formats.
- It can also insert audio streams into a video file.
- It is a Linux, BSD, Mac OS X, and MS Windows based software and is available under GNU GPL license.
- It supports English language and is in immense preference of the small business owners and freelancers.
- It works on the Open API and Cloud Hosted based deployment platforms.
- Facility to use custom scripts as a task automation feature to let the users easily store as well as apply the configurations and settings they want while editing videos.
- Easy video image resizing, sharpening, colour profiles and titles adding and interlacing features makes Avidemux different from other video editors.
OpenShot Video Editor is easy to use, quick to learn and 100% free and open source editor. The design of the software involves exceptional capabilities and popular features. Its latest version OpenShot 2.4.3 is released in September 2018. It is simply wonderful and powerful to edit videos and images.
- A cross-platform video editor that perfectly works on Windows, Linux and Mac based systems.
- Available in 70+ languages and unlimited tracks for background videos, watermarks, audio tracks and more.
- Title Editor and Video Editing using file manager.
- Slow motion & time effects and 3D animations.
- Easy trimming and slicing video images.
- Simple and attractive user interface.
- Visualizing audio files with the use of audio waveforms.
- Frame accuracy, advanced timeline.
- Video transitions with real-time preview.
- Desktop integration and clip resizing.
- Time mapping and speed changing on clips.
- Audio mixing and editing.
ShotCut is a free, cross-platform and open-source video editing application for Windows, Mac and Linux. 4K resolutions and broad format support highlights the impressive capability of the tool among its users. Stable release date of the Shotcut editor’s latest version is December 23, 2018. The software is actually developed on the MLT Multimedia Framework by Dan Dennedy in 2004.
- Shotcut supports audio, video and image formats through FFmpeg.
- It supports popular image formats including BMP, GIF, JPEG, PNG, SVG, TGA, TIFF.
- Powerful filters that allow the advanced customization of audio and video in simple clicks only.
- Modular UI helps servicing in the mechanical workflow management.
- It supports a wide range of export and import format.
- 2 language support i.e. English and Swedish
- Suitable for all customer types; Small, Medium and Freelancers.
- Classic video editing tools make the editor never compromise with the basic editing features.
- Super easy to make adjustments due to the straightforward system of check-boxes and sliders.
- Easily integrated high-quality and secure application.
From video cutting and splicing to major complex tasks like video masking, there is so much one can do with Blender Video Editing Software. The software comes with a built-in video editor. Blender, mostly known for animations, is a non-linear video editing application that is available in all stable versions of Ubantu, Debian and Fedora.
- Award-winning software for making and editing short films and movies. Basically, it is designed for animations.
- Extensive modeling tool-set capable of re-topology, sculpting, curves and modeling.
- Comes with full-fledged built-in compositor that lessens down the need to export third party programs.
- Image support: JPEG, JPEG2000, PNG, TARGA, OpenEXR, DPX, Cineon, Radiance HDR, SGI Iris, TIFF
- Video support: AVI, MPEG and Quicktime (on OSX)
- 3D support: Alembic, 3D Studio (3DS), COLLADA (DAE), Filmbox (FBX), Autodesk (DXF), Wavefront (OBJ), DirectX (x), Lightwave (LWO), Motion Capture (BVH), SVG, Stanford PLY, STL, VRML, VRML97, X3D.
- Adding video, images, masks, scenes, audio and effects up to 32 slots.
- Filters, transitions, key frames, adjustment layers, speed control and so on.
- Audio mixing, scrubbing, syncing and waveform visualization.
- Histogram displays, chroma vectorscope, luma waveform and live preview.
Comparison between the video editors listed above:
Video Editing Software - How they affect the ROI of your business?
Every business use videos as its marketing tools. The future of advanced marketing techniques has already come into existence, and we can definitely phrase this era as a “full-on video revolution era” where the new-age marketers are always ready to bring revolutionary returns to their business.
According to Wyzowl’s data report, 63% of businesses have now started relying on video content marketing. The trend is rapidly spreading in the global market making around 83% marketers believe that video marketing brings excellent ROI to the business.
Videos boost website traffic, increase user-engagement, provide high-end information for increasing conversion rate, build trust on brands and encourage social shares.
Even if you are launching a new product or service, there is nothing better than creating a video to show how it works.
Explainer videos on the ‘web-home-pages’ are in trend these days and more than 45% of the businesses prefer this technique, out of which 83% of them find homepage explainer videos extremely effective.
Free and open source video editing software solutions are of course, most beneficial ones in all respect. Still, if you want to try more advanced and premium features, you can check out Movavi as one of the best commercial video editing software solution.
As a comprehensive video making and editing program for Windows and Mac, Movavi Video Editor has arrived in the market with its latest release Version 15. This movie maker holds everything that you need for creating home movies and photo slideshows.You just need to put your footage into the program and you will get any type presentation that you want for example, travel videos, birthday slideshows, and wedding documentaries etc.
- Conversion of videos, audios and images within seconds only.
- The quality of the video remains retained whether it is in HD or ultra HD.
- Video convertible to different media formats: including AVI, MKV, MOV; AAC, MP3; GIF, JPG, and more.
- Batch conversion (converting several files at once) saves your time.
- Easy to use special effects like reverse, slow motion, chroma key etc.
- More than 160 filters, transitions and add caption facility.
- Auto creation of the clips from your videos and images when you choose easy program mode.
- Simplest and more user-friendly interface.
- The interface supports 13 languages other than English.
- It supports an impressive range of audio-editing features like equalizer, normalization, beat detection and other audio distortion effects.
- A rare feature of 4K video support.
- The software renders greatest creative freedom with a dozen of editing options. It permits video editing on the timeline with improving image quality.
If you are already using one from the software solutions listed above, you can freely share your reviews here.
Content always rules the market but the type of contents are always versatile. When you talk about the ‘need of the hour’, rich contents are always in demand.
Today, visual content comprising videos and graphics are highly in demand. Hence, video marketing came into context on a leading business promotion tactic.
Of course, nobody likes a rough video/image or something that is non-soothing to the eyes and ears. Hence, here comes the need for a video editor when you are going to present your audience a perfect audio visual experience ever. It is the foremost advantage of gathering more audience.
Hence, you should always try selecting quality video editing software to make your video marketing strategy go efficiently so that it can ultimately boost the goodwill and good ROI for your company.