The Best 6 Free And Open Source Membership Management Software
For any membership organization, the business growth that they make is equal to the level of the service that the organization provides for its members. Growing your audience, increasing member engagement, and getting membership sign-ups are a bit challenging. Poor membership management carries long-lasting effects and may infect an entire association. The results of miss-management and poor service reach far and wide.
Membership Management Software or an association management system is capable of helping associations, clubs, and other membership organizations to provide their services to their members more efficiently.
What is Membership management?
A transparent culture encourages members in any membership-based organization and establishes mutual respect and trust.
Any organization having membership-based activities should be able to manage member database, add, renew, upgrade or downgrade memberships, communicate and coordinate with members easily, organize events, tickets, content, track members’ interest and so on. In short, it is all about timely service, efficient support and renewal processes and personalized service.
What are the expectations of members today?
Excellent member service should be the top priority of any association today. It purely reveals your organizations’ personality. Understand, without members you cannot run your association. But, what are the critical expectations of members today? Have a look at the below image;
Speedy service, Self-automated service, Consistent, personalized support experience, Proactive, Listen to them, Understand them, Keep track of their interest, Customize their preference are some of the key expectations of members of any association today.
It might seem like your members are expecting a lot, but no worries. There are plenty of solutions that can help you to deal with this.
A typical free and open source membership management software solution can help you improve your member experience, indeed to a reasonable level. You, as an Organization, will start spending less time on admin and more time on engaging your members efficiently.
How can membership software help you?
Membership management software helps in managing membership in a simple and easy way that can save nearly about 80% of your administration time. The software is designed to enhance member engagement and add value to your offering. The software enables automated workflows right from induction till renewals, invoicing, booking activities, emailing, and more. The software can well be used to maintain all of your discussion boards, events management, entertainments, food, restaurants, and more.
Almost all the membership management software systems are securely engineered, thus making them ideal to use. Moreover, the vendors guide the users and are available on-hand for strategic support at any time.
Why Do You Need a Membership Software solution?
Automated Process - A membership management software solution can automate the entire process. You can save your time and keep the errors very minimal.
Maintaining data in a safe and secure manner – Storing and maintaining information about your members is easier with membership management software.
Better business productivity – With minimal errors and efficient management, your organization is bound to see greater business productivity.
How to pick the right membership management system?
There are a number of membership management system vendors to choose from. Ensure that you understand the options, costs, and deliverables. If you have time you can do the following;
- Research if the software is ranked high
- Check whether the software offers all the features required for efficient membership management
- Find out how long the provider has been in the business
- Verify the updates of the software
- Verify the number of users count
- Check for the contract terms if any
- Narrow down your selection to further research
If you do not have time to do the above research, you can just read the sections below to help you get an understanding.
What are the different membership management systems?
Membership Management Software on a wider note can be segregated into the following types;
- Open source
Free membership management software gives the users the freedom to use the software, understand the source code, modify the software, and distribute the software without any restrictions. Unlike proprietary software, the free software solutions do not have any licensing or hidden codes.
What Defines a Good Membership Management Software Solution?
Primarily, investing in a membership management software system depends on the size, culture, and maturity of your association. It can range from procurement to deploying procedures and can take a bit of your time if not strategized properly.
You might have to go through the following steps;
- Analyze your requirements
- Defining them
- Learn what you need from a particular software solution
- Consider your time and budget
- Identify the tasks that need to be automated
- Identify areas that need improvements
- Check if the software fits your purpose
- Check if the software has some hidden costs
- Check if the software uses the latest best practices
- Trial run the software to check if the software saves you time
- Check if it integrates well with your other systems
- Check if it is easy to Maintain
- Check for the security and reliability
- Last, but not the least, check for the support from the provider
A combination of all makes a good membership management software system.
Features of Membership Management Software
- Simple & Intuitive Member portal
- Management of multiple memberships
- Member Database
- Member Portal
- Event management
- Sponsor management
- Application Management
- Automatic Renewals
- Segment members
- Create a customized profile
- Integrate with other systems
- Accepts multiple currencies and tax
- Content management
- Record maintenance
- Easy payment gateways
- Integrated payment processing
- Multi-user Access
- Customized report generation
- Dues Management
- Email Marketing
Normally membership management software comes with at least the following features:
- Storing and editing member information
- Creating, renewing, upgrading and downgrading memberships
- Communicating with members by email, social media, message or post
So, go ahead and simplify your membership management with the following Best 6 Free & Open Source Membership Management Software
As a free and open source membership management solution, Admidio is the best fit for any size club, organization or group. Every module of Admidio can be easily installed and configured to a new system or to your existing system. Modules include; User Management, Data management, Event Module, Role and user rights management, Create and restore database backups & Appointment management.
(Image source: Admidio)
- Secured and controlled access
- Version 3.3.10 offers new authorization system
- Adjustable layout
- Freely configurable main menu
- Facility to export details to other file types
- Easily create roles
- Add custom fields
- Facility to publish events online
- Facility to enable all the members to participate in events that are of their interest
- Create photo albums
- Facility to create events, edit or delete them at any time
- Facility to upload, manage and view photos
- Members can access information all the time
- Variety of Plugins like Birthday list, Category report, Membership fee, etc.
The latest version of Admidio (3.3.10) comes with added new languages that include; Indonesian, Spanish, Swahili, and Chinese simple.
#2 Wild Apricot
When it comes to membership management, Wild Apricot comes at the top of the list. The software allows you to automate and simplify membership management processes effortlessly. The software provides a simple & user-friendly interface. Wild Apricot is a free and open source software solution. The free version comes with some basic features and allows up to 50 contacts. Premium features are made available for an additional cost.
Modules include: Membership Management, Event Registration, Payments, Email & Contact management, Database management, Mobile App.
(Image source: Wild Apricot)
- Easily to search and share members database
- Customize membership levels
- Induct and manage membership in real-time
- Automated renewals
- Real-time access
- Members can easily login through the members’ portal and update their info
- Searchable online member directory
- Easy to customize, drag and drop, intuitive dashboard
- Mobile friendly
- Customized report generation
- Event management
- Track and record payments
- Email confirmations and reminders
Your contacts are invaluable. So, to entice them and add value, you need to connect with them and manage their activity without any friction. An efficient membership management software system will help you achieve this. Wild Apricot should be the right fit for you. This free and open source membership management software is widely used by both big and small associations, non-profit organizations, clubs, and societies.
Save your time on your day-to-day administrative job and have fun inducting, managing and gathering members without any stress with GroupSpaces, a free and open source membership management software solution. Modules include; Application Management, Dues Management, Event Management, Member Community, Member Portal, Membership Renewals, Membership Report, and Rights Management. Apart from the Free plan, the software also offers Basic, Starter, Pro, Premium and Ultimate Plans. The Free plan is available for 50 Members with 2 Member lists and 250MB File Storage.
(Image Source: GroupSpaces)
- Online membership sign-ups
- Create multiple Email lists
- Easy collection of dues and payments
- Easily host forums and email discussions
- Facility to create an online, customized domain for users
- Anytime access to Membership database records
- Organize events, sell tickets via the portal
- Facility to share files and photos
With nearly 5 million memberships managed worldwide, this software is easy to use and fun to manage. The software enables safe database management and easy communication with members. GroupSpaces is widely used by professional associations, sports clubs, non-profit organizations, trusts, societies, community groups, academic groups, business groups, Alumni and even small hobby groups.
Simplify membership, and all your day-to-day operations with MemberPlanet, a free and open source membership management software system. The software fits organizations of all sizes. With a simplified membership enrolment process where interested members can join the club via email or by just clicking the link shared with them.
(Image Source: MemberPlanet)
- Easy Onboarding
- Both individual and organizational membership management
- Safe and secure Portal
- Intuitive dashboard
- Automated email reminders
- Multiple payment facilities
- Customized reporting
- Member information management
- An integrated set of tools
- Online payments
- Encrypted data – accessible anytime from anywhere
The software is widely used by Associations, nonprofits, Schools, Booster Clubs, Fraternal Organizations, PTAs, Homeowners Associations, Educational Foundations and so on.
Tendenci is a simple and easy-to-use platform ideal to manage memberships, events, and other daily administrative operations without any friction. This free and open source association management software makes it extremely easy to induct and retain members. Whether your association handles limited members or a huge number of members, Tendenci can fit into any setup and can help u save time and money.
(Image Source: Tendenci)
- Comprehensive membership profile
- Integrated event management
- Customized forms
- Easy online event registration facility
- Web content management
- Safe and secure membership directory
- Integrated email marketing
- Event log summary report
- Unlimited hosting options
- Analytics and custom reports
- Easy payment options
- Responsive design
(Image Source: Tendenci)
Tendenci has been in the market for over 20 years now and each year the software strives to do better and today it perfectly fills the need for an affordable membership management software solution to manage all your day-to-day transactions for membership management, database management, event management, and communication management and donations management.
Tendenci is one of the top ranked open source alternatives to proprietary, closed source, or other open source AMS systems.
ClubMaster is yet another simple and easy-to-use membership management software solution. This free and open source software is written in PHP.
(Image Source: ClubMaster)
- Intuitive yet straightforward admin and user interface
- Total membership management
- Support for a small and large group of members
- Multiple locations
- Interactive dashboard
- Integrated event management
- Order management
- Location-based service
- Facility to integrate with other systems
- Easy-to-maintain users’ activity
- Multiple language support
Whether you are running a human service organization, or a health care organization, or an education centre;
Whether it is small, mid-size or large;
Whether it runs with a mission-specific goal;
Whether you have members from all geographic
All you need to look for is a compelling membership management software system. Try Join It, a simple, intuitive, and a transformative membership management software tool that offers a wide spectrum of features to manage membership life cycle effortlessly.
Every component of your organizations’ membership management should be dealt to build, retain and grow the membership base by delivering exceptional services. Join It can be used as a standalone system, or you can embed it with your site.
(Image Source: Join It)
- Intuitive member database
- Default and custom fields
- Enhanced sorting
- Flexible membership types
- Powerful analytics
- Eventbrite integration
- Facility to export data
- Supports multiple Membership tiers
- Accepts various currencies & Taxes
- Automated renewal reminders
- Email integration
- Multiple user access
- Syncs with a number of tools
With no set-up and no hidden costs, users can choose any package with a 30-day free trial.
Clubs and membership organizations around the World are doing businesses in the market, attempting to build up their squads.
Do you ever feel like there must be a better way to manage your members? Well, there is!
The answer lies in organizing and optimizing membership management. All the sections of this blog can be of a single source for detailed advice. The list of best free and open source membership management software solutions and all the tips regarding better membership management should help you to manage the process at a greater speed and efficiency.
The blog must help you in learning
- The right balance of membership management process and workflows
- Increase on-time service delivery
- Ensure consistent, high-quality communication and coordination
- Reclaim time for better management, innovation, and creativity
- Help your association put all membership-related workflows into action so you can make sure the rest of the operation is carried out effectively
Membership management software solutions are not a requirement of the future – they already exist, and they are in huge demand these days. Membership Management Software Market is expected to touch US$ 7.48 Billion by 2026. In response, membership management software vendors are gearing up to offer more innovations and possibilities in their offerings. Open source membership management solutions have huge space to undergo constant revamping to make them more useful to the users. So, why wait, pick the right one to grow your audience and get membership sign-ups easily.
If you are still not sure and need more help, you can also leverage our compiled list of Best Membership Management Software Solutions.
If you are already using one, do share your reviews with us.
If you are interested in learning about other Free & Open Source software options, here are a few on the GoodFirms’ blog:
More from GoodFirms
GoodFirms has been helping businesses find the right software service companies and products. If you wish to learn about other software solutions, our software categories page will help you. Just go ahead and select a category, explore the options, and shortlist the best that fits your need. Simultaneously, read our blogs to jumpstart and learn on your own time. Good luck!