Please introduce your company and give a brief about your role within the organization.
DY+ Language Solutions often refers to itself as the foremost Translation and Interpretation Company in Nigeria. The reason for this is because we brought the much-needed solution and easy access to the need for a translator or Interpreter in the country. Previously, to get the services of a professional translator, one would have to travel to a neighboring country or to the language faculty of the closest university. These days, with the click of a button from our website, you can book the services of a professional translator or Interpreter within minutes, and it did not take long before other companies and individuals followed in our footsteps. All these were made possible by the vast network of professional and competent translators, Interpreters, Transcribers, and Tutors that we have put together over our decade-long journey. As the founder of the company, I serve as the CEO and Language Consultant as the situation may demand. I mainly take charge of putting together the necessary crop of professionals to serve on a project at any given time to ensure for the success desired by all clients.
What is the story behind starting this company?
Established in 2011, the company was born from the frequent request that I received almost every week (at that time) to translate documents from English to French and vice versa. As a graduate of the French language, people would often refer individuals and companies to me to help translate or sometimes explain the contents of documents written in French into English. I soon realized the potential of monetizing the services when I was referred to a bank in Lagos that needed to host a top dignitary from a Francophone country for 5 days. Since this individual only understood French and was scheduled to hold meetings with the board of the bank as well as other top executives, my services were called to play once more. While trying to research online for the appropriate remuneration for the services requested, I surfed the web in futility as nothing relating to my queries were found anywhere within the Nigerian web domain. It dawned on me that I needed to take action to rectify such an anomaly. I soon registered a domain (from my nickname - derived from the first and last letter in ‘Destiny’) and soon afterward, I started to receive emails and phone calls from both local and foreign companies. It turned out that Nigeria, being the most populous and still an emerging country in Africa, was in a perfect position to do business with the world and we were often somewhere in the middle – making the most of the opportunity. As time went by, and the needs of the clients became even more elaborate, I started to reach out to people of like-minds to collaborate with for the sole purpose of meeting the needs of every client. The was the genesis of DY+ Language Solutions.
What are your company’s business model–in house team or third-party vendors/ outsourcing?
As the foremost translation and Interpretation company in Nigeria, we believe in setting the pace, not just for excellent delivery as regards certified document translation, but also quality output in terms of the interpreters that we present at each international conference. Our deliverables have over the years, grown into other language-related services such as Remote Interpretation, Audio Transcription, Document Proofreading as well as Language Tutorials. Our ultimate goal has always been and still remains the satisfaction of all clients regardless of the challenge they throw at us.
How does your company differentiate itself from the competition?
First and foremost, our robust online presence that cuts across multiple social media platforms and our ease of reach ensures that every potential client gets a knock on our online doors first. Asides from our perfectly responsive website with its detailed contents and several reactive calls to action, we have also built a vast network of professionals that cut across 28 countries which in turn guarantees that we always employ the services of specialists trained in the specific field of study whose service is required. We have by this gained trust and very high ratings among new and existing clients. The concept of ensuring that only appropriately qualified personnel are assigned to projects of their specific areas of expertise has set up apart from the crowd such that over 23% of our new clients in the last year alone (2019) were gain from referrals from previous satisfied client and customers.
What industries do you generally cater to? Are your customers repetitive? If yes, what ratio of clients has been repetitive to you?
The plural nature of the services that we provide means that we get to cater for a variety of industries and walks of life while staying true to our core value of affordable customer satisfaction.
Our Interpretation Services cater mainly to international organizations, NGOs, and International Businesses that intend to hold multi-lingual meetings or conferences in a country of so many economic potentials such as Nigeria. Here, we get to provide not just the professional conference interpreters, but all the necessary infrastructure to ensure a seamless conference deliberation.
Our Document Translation Services like that of the conference interpretation, caters for international organizations, NGOs and International Businesses while also meeting the needs of individuals that require such translation services for personal, commercial or immigration purposes.
Our Audio Transcription Services employs the use of professional transcribers to convert the contents of any audio or video files into text form. This service is mainly required by local and international media houses or TV, radio, or podcast content creators. This service has, in recent times, been used also for litigation purposes where the contents of an audio or video files were required in text form for purpose of legal depositions and sometimes, pieces of evidence in legal battles.
The International Organizations – which serves as our major clients are quite repetitive in nature as they often require our services at several intervals within a year. We have also worked our way into becoming the sole document translation partners to a number of international companies in Nigeria and as such, they call on us as many times as they require their documents translated.
Please share some of the services that you offer for which clients approach you the most for?
Our services focus mainly on eliminating any form of the language barrier that could hinder the free flow of communication or business. Among these services include:
- Conference Interpretation: Where we help, with the aid of our professional interpreters and skilled interpretation equipment technicians, in managing the communication between people from different nationalities, with the sole purpose of bridging the communication gap brought about by their difference in language, culture, and creed.
- Remote Interpretation: With a pandemic on our hands, this service was necessitated by the need to keep the world economy moving despite the new reality of physical distancing.
- It basically employed the use of Tech-Savvy yet professional interpreters, combined with web conferencing platforms such as ZOOM, WebEx, and the likes to hold virtual multi-lingual meetings
- Document Translation: This essentially transforms the content (text) from a source language to a desired or target language without compromising on the meaning, ideas, data, or sense portrayed in the original document. There are no limitations to the size and nature of documents that can be translated. From travel documents to other official and non-official documents, our translators are up to the task.
- Audio Transcription: Here, expert transcriptionists work meticulously to capture every single word uttered by a speaker or multiple speakers (verbatim transcription) in an audio or video file with the intention of transforming the same into text form while minding the grammar and punctuations every step of the way.
- Proofreading Services: This service involves employing the eagle eyes and expertise of our qualified proofreaders and having them thoroughly scrutinize the grammatical, punctuational, and logical contents and details of a manuscript that is meant to eventually become a book, term paper, thesis, proposal, etc. and deliver them to our clients devoid of any error.
- Language Tutorials: A language agency would be incomplete without the services of capable language tutors to provide the necessary training and instructions required to learn a new language. Most of our language tutors are native speakers of the various language that they teach which makes for an excellent guide to lead a beginner in the new journey in a new language.
- Laptop Rentals: Long before the emergence of a global pandemic, we have been at the forefront of providing rental services for Laptop computers as well as other office equipment for temporary use by individuals and businesses within Nigeria. There has, in the recent past, been a surge in the demand for our laptops since social distancing became our reality and we hope to keep doing our best to stay relevant in the business.
What is your customer satisfaction rate according to you? What steps do you take to cater to your customer’s needs and requirements?
Since we make it a point of duty to provide solutions to the language needs of our clients and customer, our entire business model is therefore centered around not only providing the various services that eliminate those needs, but we also endeavor to renders such services in a manner that is cost-effective and timely. This practice had, over the years, earned us a highly positive approval rating from our clients within and outside the shores of Nigeria.
Starting from the very moment that a service request is received via our web platform, there is always a dedicated member of staff that processes such a request and forwards it to the appropriate department. Such a department then put a phone call through or send an email to the potential client within the next 20 minutes. Upon reply of acceptance of the terms of our services, such acceptance is then submitted to the head language consultant, who in turn assigns the appropriate professional to the task.
What kind of support system do you offer to your clients for catering to their queries and issues?
There are multiple media via which our clients and potential clients can connect with us – Details can be found on the contact page of our website. Knowing that every lead is important, we have a dedicated team of customer support attendants across all platforms (Website, Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram, email, and Over the Phone) to interact directly and promptly with you each time an inquiry is made, with the objective of a seamless interaction and clarity of the options available to you as a client.
What kind of payment structure do you follow to bill your clients? Is it Pay per Feature, Fixed Cost, Pay per Milestone (could be in phases, months, versions etc.)?
Due to the varied nature of the diverse services that we offer, we apply different payment structures following the globally accepted standards of billing for such specific services.
- Conference Interpretation: This service is billed by the hour and at other times, by day.
- Document Translation: This service is billed per word and at other times, per page.
- Audio Transcription: This service is billed per audio minute or hour.
- Proofreading Services: This service is billed per word or per body of work.
- Language Tutorial: This service often comes with a fixed amount per language requested.
- Laptop Rental: This service comes with a fixed amount per day, but we are flexible enough to give some room for negotiation from the client.
Do you take in projects which meet your basic budget requirement? If yes, what is the minimum requirement? If no, on what minimum budget you have worked for?
We hardly ever reject an opportunity to be of services. And as such, we try to avoid putting a cap on the kind of client and a budget requirement to accept or decline. With us, there is no minimum budget requirement because we have seen time and time again that a ₦100 client of today could become the ₦1,000,000 client of tomorrow. Our other reason for this is because the company started by rendering little language services within the neighborhood of Ikeja, Lagos. To date, we still offer our expertise and services free-of-charge, to schools and small businesses to show our support for projects and initiatives of humble beginnings – Just like us.
What is the price range (min and max) of the projects that you catered to in 2020?
The year 2020 has not been the most eventful in recent times, but it set the pace for great possibilities in the future. In terms of the price range of the project that we catered for, our books show a minimum of ₦21,000 and a Max of ₦1,311,300. Looking beyond these figures, we count the year as one of success as we were able to land a few notable clients such as the US Department of Justice and also possibly our biggest client yet – GIZ. We are very hopeful at the possibility of a mutually beneficial year ahead.
Where do you see your company in the next 10 years?
In the decade to come, we hope to continue our leadership in the sphere of language consultancy in Nigeria while branching out even more into the possibility of owning a fully functional, multi-lingual web conferencing solution. Also, with the recent outpouring demand for international languages by Nigerian, we also look forward to setting-up an identical and modern language institute in Lagos and Abuja to meet these needs. Lastly, we are already exploring the possibility of expanding our services to the Republic of Benin, we hope to have commenced operation at a small scale over there in 10 years’ time.