Best Electronic Medical Records Software
Are you looking for an all-inclusive EMR software for managing medical records? If you are, GoodFirms researches and curates a list of Electronic Medical Records Software available in the market. Decent EHR software should have features like easy patient scheduling, 24/7 access from any device, billing system integration, compliance tracking, clinical interoperability, task management capabilities, e-prescribing, and charting. Thus GoodFirms researches and records top electronic health record systems that are deemed as reliable and efficient in the profession of medicine. Service seekers can assess the following electronic medical records systems based on user reviews and select the best one:
List of the Best EMR Software | Best Electronic Health Records Software
- The eczema App
Nia Health develops and markets a service platform for eczema patients. The core product is the smartphone app Nia, which supports patients and their relatives in their daily dealings with the most common chronic skin disease by offering them holistically, digital support. The medically validated content and personalized functions of Nia make people active creators of their health and help them to... learn more about Nia
- Advanced Electronic Management Records System for Lab and Hospitals
BLUEPULSE is an all in one Electronic Record Management System that specializes in keeping all record of visitors, available materials, staffs, patients and much more. Along with this, EMR has a unique set of features such as appointment booking, patient registration, Medical Data, Reception Management & Many others that can help you in managing your complete hospital and Clinic with ease and effi... learn more about BLUEPULSEVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial15 daysEntry Level PriceContact Vendor
- Finding the right EHR for your medical specialty
OmniMD’s medical team, that includes our physician employees, medical billers with the assistance of many specialty physician advisors, has designed the specialty workflow, content, template library and reports which are uniquely developed for your specialty ... learn more about OmniMD"OmniMD Review"Carl Leon
- A user friendly web-based Electronic Health Record System
iSmart EHR is a web-based EHR management platform designed to help healthcare organizations streamline various administrative processes such as appointment scheduling, charting, billing and more. Patients can use the self-service portal to view upcoming consultations and access personal health information related to medications, allergies and laboratory results. iSmart EHR allows clinicians to ... learn more about iSmart EHR"Great service!"Mukhlisa AbdurakhmonovaVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial30 daysEntry Level Price$245 per Month
- EHR Chiropractic Software for 21st century
ChiroWebMD is the pioneer in chiropractic web development marketing and advertising solutions! We provide you with all your business needs - web site layouts, articles, software and marketing technologies. Our chiropractic EHR solutions allow you to create complete, HIPAA-compliant documentation quickly and easily, so you can spend more time on what matters most in your practice–your patients. ... learn more about ChiroWebMD"The platform is really organized"Dr Drew Hall, Chiropractic Doctor at Hall Upper Cervical Chiropractic
- Monitor & control moving pieces of your Hospital easily
It helps healthcare providers ranging from clinics to hospitals digitize and deliver more efficient and higher quality healthcare to millions of patients around the world every day. Practo continues to be dedicated to centering healthcare around the consumer and helping millions of people live healthier longer lives. ... learn more about Practo
- ONC Complete EHR Certified.
OpenEMR is the most popular open source electronic health records and medical practice management solution. ONC certified with international usage, OpenEMR's goal is a superior alternative to its proprietary counterparts. With passionate volunteers and contributors dedicated to guarding OpenEMR's status as a free, open source software solution for medical practices with a commitment to openness, k... learn more about OpenEMR
- Open-Source electronic medical record platform.
The global OpenMRS community works together to build the world's leading open source enterprise electronic medical record system platform.... learn more about OpenMRS
- iPad Electronic Medical Record Cloud Based Software.
OneTouch EMR is a fully certified iPad Electronic Medical Record designed, developed, and owned by physicians. You can quickly document your encounters via touch, type, or Dragon voice dictation using iPad, Android, Mac or PC. Designed and developed by a physician for physicians, OneTouch EMR is the Electronic Medical Records system that flows the way a doctor thinks.... learn more about OneTouch EMR
- An easy-to-use EMR & hospital system.
Clinical, diagnostic and patient management information are all important for effective patient care. The information that Bahmni makes accessible helps health care providers to improve the efficiency and quality of patient care, reduce the margin of error in clinical diagnosis, and advocate for policies related to public health in rural areas.... learn more about Bahmni
- Opensource electronic medical software.
FreeMED is an opensource electronic medical record and practice management system which has been developed since 1999. It was developed under the GPL, and remains free and open for all to modify and use.... learn more about FreeMED
- Better RCM service at a lower price
eClinicalWorks® is a privately held leader in healthcare IT, providing innovative solutions to meet the daily Electronic Health Record and Practice Management needs of 130,000 physicians and nurse practitioners, and more than 850,000 medical professionals in all, across the U.S. and worldwide... learn more about eClinicalWorksVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial30 daysEntry Level Price$449.00 per Month
- The only EHR that gets faster and smarter as you use it.
Award-winning, certified, and affordable Praxis EMR is a leading innovator of Electronic Medical Records (EMR/EHR) software, serving thousands of physicians worldwide.Praxis EMR provides a unique solution to electronic charting through an artificial intelligence (AI) engine that self learns and gets smarter and faster as the user charts in free text. ... learn more about Praxis EMRVISIT WEBSITEFree TrialN/AEntry Level Price$259.00 per Month
- Manage Your Workflow From Start to Finish
TherapyNotes™ is an online practice management system for behavioral health, featuring robust notes, scheduling, and billing features.The heart of TherapyNotes™ is the notes system. Whereas most practice management systems offer a generic free-form text area, TherapyNotes™ offers an easy-to-use form-filled approach, greatly speeding up data entry and note writing. ... learn more about TherapyNotesVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial30 daysEntry Level Price$49.00 per Month
- Smarter Care. Better Outcomes. Healthier You.
Cerner is the leading U.S. supplier of health care information technology solutions that optimize clinical and financial outcomes. Around the world, health organizations ranging from single-doctor practices to entire countries turn to Cerner (NASDAQ: CERN) for our powerful yet intuitive solutions. Cerner offers clients a dedicated focus on health care, an end-to-end solution and service portfolio,... learn more about Cerner
- The only complete technology platform for your independent practice
Kareo is the only cloud-based and complete medical technology platform purpose built to meet the unique needs of independent practices. Today we help over 50,000 providers in all 50 states run more efficient and profitable practices, while delivering outstanding patient care.... learn more about Kareo
- Designed for the way you practise medicine
Aprima uses a fast, flexible design that adapts automatically to a physician's workflow and sets the benchmark for ease-of-use, speed and flexibility, and is one of the few companies with an 18-year track record of success, including a long history of meeting each and every government certification since their inception. ... learn more about Aprima
- 75Health is the Electronic Health Record software
75Health is the Electronic Health Record software which is not just about being paperless. It is about inculcating a tradition of simulated and simplified working with intelligent systems that help doctors work efficiently and enhance patient care. Working on a cloud-based technology, it is cost-efficient, fast and secure. ... learn more about 75Health
- Let’s Get You Back to the Business of Healing
On the strength of more than 35 years of innovation, our family of medical software solutions has grown to serve over 2,700 medical practices representing over 14,000 physicians.Our complete technology solutions meet the needs of independent practices helping you manage your practice or what is really a small to mid-sized business. ... learn more about MicroMD
- One Stop Clinic Management Software
MocDoc is Saas based company providing Comprehensive Clinic Management system that handles Patient Dashboard, Appointment Management, Visual Speciality Casesheets, SMS / Email Notification, Easy Billing & Accounts.... learn more about MocDoc CMSVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial7 daysEntry Level PriceContact Vendor
- A new open source health charting system
Help medical providers have access to an intuitive, world-class electronic health record for minimal cost.NOSH (New Open Source Health) ChartingSystem was developed by Michael Chen, MD; a family physician in Portland, Oregon. ... learn more about Nosh
- Automate Your Clinic Operations
Solismed is a clinic management system designed for use by independent practices and free clinics. Many time-saving tools are provided to boost your productivity. ... learn more about Solismed
- Open Source software for caregivers
DoliMed is an EMR (Electronic Medical Records software.). It is a specialized version of Dolibarr ERP & CRM software, enhanced with the module Dolimed, to match needs of doctors and medical centers to follow their patients. It's an easy to use solution to manage a caregiver activity (patients, consultations, documents, etc...). ... learn more about DoliMed EMR
- Improve Your Workflow with DrChrono Practice Management.
DrChrono understands that each practice is different. Unlike other electronic health record platforms, DrChrono offers an integrated practice management software that can be tailored to meet the unique needs of your practice, the way your practice needs it. Whether small or big, create the practice you’ve dreamt of and equip yourself with the EHR system that improves patient engagement and their... learn more about DrChronoVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial30 daysEntry Level PriceContact Vendor
- One Platform to help you perform online therapy
ReadySetConnect is a fully integrated online therapy platform to connect special children with clinicians and specialists they need. It boasts off exclusive features including virtual therapy, and behavioral health EHR that helps educators teach and clinicians perform therapy services by streamlining patients’ progress notes, setting schedules on the calendar, managing appointment reminders, and... learn more about Ready Set Connect
- The Single Solution for your Practice Needs
ChARM Health product suite includes Integrated EHR, Practice Management and RCM solution, Patient Portal for Patient Engagement, TeleHealth solution for Remote patient care, Connect solution for Collaborative communication, along with a slew of Mobile apps across platforms. ChARM Health suite of products are built to address application of cloud and mobile technologies for managing healthcare dat... learn more about ChARM Health
- Unified workflow. Cutting-edge security.
AdvancedMD Rhythm is an all-in-one platform so you can easily manage your entire practice, all locations, and patient experience. You get flexible scheduling, simple charting, legendary billing, accurate reporting, and easy-to-use patient engagement tools.... learn more about AdvancedMD RhythmVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial60 daysEntry Level PriceContact Vendor
- Focus on phenomenal care with a Clinical First EHR
Elation strengthens the patient-physician relationship by providing a revolutionary, provider-centric platform that lets physicians focus on their patients and deliver high-quality care. Elation brings the right information at the right time to the true change agent in care delivery: the physician.... learn more about ElationEMRVISIT WEBSITEFree TrialN/AEntry Level Price$349 per Month
- The best in class Clinic Software and Medical Record system for aesthetic clinics
Clinicminds is the leading practice and patient management software for private healthcare clinics.... learn more about ClinicmindsVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial30 daysEntry Level Price$149 per Month
- Eye Care Vision Practice Management System
An EMR and practice management system helping optometrists, ophthalmologists and opticians manage their practices since 1994. Filopto has been focused in improving staff productivity from booking appointments to dispensing and invoicing, including managing your patients medical records. Send automated appointment reminders and recall notices, using the RevSpring services. Submit your claims ... learn more about FiloptoVISIT WEBSITEFree TrialN/AEntry Level Price$166 per Month
- Run simpler, better healthcare operations.
RXNT is an integrated, cloud-based healthcare software provider, offering a Practice Management (PM) solution with Medical Billing and Scheduling tools, and Electronic Health Records (EHR) with Patient Portal for practices of all specialties and sizes. RXNT's PM system enhances practice-related workflows, from billing and collections, scheduling, appointment reminders, insurance eligibility, ch... learn more about RXNTVISIT WEBSITEFree TrialN/AEntry Level Price$65.00 per Month
- Behavioral Health and Human Services EHR Platform
Developed by Qualifacts, Carelogic EHR is a system for the behavioral health and human services sector. Carelogic EHR is a web-based system. Carelogic EHR can be used across a host of medical specialties but has been designed for use primarily in cardiology, family medicine, internal medicine, paediatrics, multi-specialty and OBGYN practices. It is used by more than 300,000 medical staff across th... learn more about CareLogic EHR
- EHR and EMR Mental Health Software System
BestNotes is a HIPAA compliant Customer Relationship Management and Electronic Health Record database system speciﬁcally designed for the behavioral health and substance abuse industry. Merging the traditionally separate CRM and EHR tools into one highly eﬀective, highly functional product, BestNotes can vastly improve client interactions. Documentation is designed with the behavioral health s... learn more about BestNotesVISIT WEBSITEFree TrialN/AEntry Level Price$50 per Month
- The All-in-One EHR, Practice Management, and Billing Software
Streamline your workflow and boost efficiency with IMS, our all-in-one EHR, Practice Management, and Billing solution. Designed by physicians for physicians, our award-winning Intelligent Medical Software caters to over 35+ specialties and practices of any size! Utilize technology that adapts to your practice, not the other way around. Almost every aspect of our software is 100% customizable and t... learn more about Meditab IMSVISIT WEBSITEFree TrialAvailableEntry Level Price$199 per Month
- Progress note-taking app designed for Behavioral Health Clinicians
Mimo creates HIPAA Compliant personalized progress notes with minimal to no typing. It can cut your note-taking time by up to 70% allowing you to focus on what matters the most - Your Clients! Features include: Standard Note types AES-256 bit Encryption Personalized Notes Pre-populated notes Editable Notes Sharable Notes Printable Notes Dictate Notes easily Support multiple CPT and Diagnosis Codes... learn more about Mimo Progress NoteVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial15 daysEntry Level Price$5 per Month
- QUICK AND EASY SOLUTION FOR OUTPATIENT BEHAVIORAL HEALTH
Pronto EMR is a behavioral and mental health practice management and medical records solution. The software is designed to provide necessary tools for the unique needs of a mental/behavioral therapy clinic. The software has both, on-site and cloud-based versions. There is a number of flexible features offered including patient lists, dashboard, demographics, medication management, EFORSCE, telemed... learn more about Pronto EMR
- Providing affordable EMR software since 1998
Titanium Schedule is an electronic medical records (EMR) system designed specifically for university and college counseling centers. Our budget-friendly software is used at over 950 locations in the United States and internationally. In addition to counseling centers, Titanium is used by disability centers, psychology department teaching clinics, employee assistance programs, as well as customers ... learn more about Titanium ScheduleVISIT WEBSITEFree TrialN/AEntry Level Price$1600 per Year
- Simple Tools To Keep Providers Connected To Patients
Azalea provides cloud-based electronic health records (EHR), practice management (PM), revenue cycle management (RCM) and telehealth solutions for ambulatory and hospital care settings. Azalea is suitable for community and rural health care settings, including multiple specialty practices. Azalea EHR is 2015 ONC certified and supports Promoting Interoperability (PI). Users can document SOAP not... learn more about Azalea Health
- Compliant Video Conferencing and Practice Management Software
Our fully integrated teletherapy and practice management software for therapists includes HIPAA compliant video conferencing, whiteboard, in-session document sharing, video sharing, screen sharing, interactive apps, scheduling, therapy notes, billing, e-claim submission, intake and consent forms, secure messaging . , client’s portal, reports and more!... learn more about TheraPlatformVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial30 daysEntry Level Price$29 per Month
- The Complete, End-To-End EMR Solution.
The Kipu EMR is an electronic medical records system specifically designed for—and from within--facilities treating SUD, Eating Disorders and Behavioral Health. Cloud-based EMR for behavioral and addiction treatment centers that helps with features such as billing, CRM and more.... learn more about Kipu EMRVISIT WEBSITEFree TrialAvailableEntry Level PriceContact Vendor
- The friendliest EMR platform around.
Alleva makes your humdrum, routine tasks easy to accomplish with automated auditing and compliance features alongside user-friendly dashboards.Alleva is comprised of a talented group of individuals dedicated to providing world-class software to the behavioral health industry that offers premium care to those who need it. Our team includes licensed therapists, industry professionals and experienced... learn more about AllevaVISIT WEBSITEFree TrialAvailableEntry Level PriceContact Vendor
- TRUE electronic health record and practice management system.
Zoobook Team works with behavioral health, mental health and addiction treatment facilities to grow their monthly revenue, cut their expenses and improve their clinical outcomes. Unlike other software development companies, Zoobook Team brings a very deep understanding of the business and clinical process as well as what is needed for building an efficient operation by improving the effectiveness ... learn more about Zoobook EHRVISIT WEBSITEFree TrialAvailableEntry Level Price$100 per Month
- Practice simplicity.
Practice management and EMR software for psychologists, chiropractors, physical therapists, pathologists, occupational and speech therapists. Our innovative PracticePerfect Management & EMR software is designed to streamline clinic processes and provide key operational information giving staff more time to spend on business-building and revenue-generating opportunities. ... learn more about PracticePerfectVISIT WEBSITEFree TrialN/AEntry Level Price$170 per Month
- 1st Providers Choice EHR Software
1st Providers Choice specializes in Electronic Health Records & Practice Management Software designed to help practices improve the quality of care, reduce risk, cut costs, and increase revenues. Appropriate for any sized practice—from a small solo practice, to a large multi-provider/multi-location group—this feature-rich system allows you to create and maintain patient billing information and... learn more about EMR Software
- Electronic Health Records
EMR-Bear is a cloud-based electronic health record, practice management, medical billing and tele-health portal designed specifically for behavioral healthcare, social services, and non-emergency medical transportation. It is currently in use across the United States to manage and bill for a wide range of services including out-patient therapy, psychiatric services and medication management, subs... learn more about EMR-Bear
- Medical Practice Management EHR / EMR Software
AccuMed proven Medical Practice Management System supports these concerns with the newest technology, government compliance and private payer requirements along with the flexibility to accommodate all your practice needs. Our revolutionary EMR / EHR software solutions were designed with your medical practice in mind; providing a user friendly interface, fitting your patient flow from check-in to r... learn more about AccuMed
- The Premier EMR System for Behavioral Health
ReliaTrax is the premier practice management software. Designed for the complex needs to run your behavioral health organization in mind, ReliaTrax brings the latest technology directly to your fingertips. Use the power of technology to simplify your agencies clinical and administrative needs! ReliaTrax is a cost effective, electronic health records system designed specifically for behavioral heal... learn more about ReliaTraxVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial30 daysEntry Level PriceContact Vendor
- Powerful EHR and CRM for Behavioral Health Providers
ZenCharts™ is The Most Intelligent EHR The Addiction Treatment Industry Has Ever Seen. ZenCharts so easy to use. It's simple, clean and intuitive. You'll get the hang of ZenCharts in no time. It is Cloud-based EHR solution that assists users with e-prescribing, billing, patient tracking, scheduling, and more.... learn more about ZenChartsVISIT WEBSITEFree TrialN/AEntry Level Price$25 per Month
- Coordinating Care Across the Continuum
Harris Coordinated Care Solutions focuses exclusively on the clinical practice, business management and security and compliance needs of health care, including behavioral, mental and public health. Harris Coordinated Care Solutions is a Health and Human Services software company that provides innovative solutions to connect, collaborate and coordinate care, bill, report and manage services across ... learn more about Harris
- EHR built for insight. Designed to evolve with your organization.
SmartCare EHR is an innovative technology solution that has the ability to empower people who improve behavioral health and the quality of life of those in need. SmartCare, our web-based electronic health record (EHR) application, is built for the delivery, management and coordination of healthcare services of all types. We have developed our software to truly integrate all inpatient, outpatient a... learn more about Smart Care
- Introduction to buyer’s guide for Electronic Medical Records Software
- What are the most common problems/challenges in managing medical records manually?
- What is electronic medical records software?
- What is the difference between EMR and EHR?
- What is the basic workflow of EMR software?
- What are the advantages of using Electronic Records Software?
- What are the essential features to look for in a Medical Record Software?
- How to implement an Electronic Medical Record (EMR) Software?
- Can EMR software improve the healthcare quality?
- Can EMR Software meet the demand for performance, availability, and security?
- What is the approximate cost of Medical Record Software?
- Why refer to GoodFirms’ list of top electronic medical records (EMR) software?
Introduction to buyer’s guide for Electronic Medical Records Software
The current medical science has matured in their approach for treating the patients, and it has strengthened the therapeutic capabilities of healthcare institutes. The result of which the medical conditions are now diagnosed early and cured before it becomes critical, the patients are getting personalized care, and the physicians are attaining more patients than before.
The system has become more organized, responsive, and effective. In short, the new approach is pouring new life to the fragile health care system. It is all possible because the professionals have found the root cause of the problems and worked on it tirelessly. A well managed patient medical record helps the healthcare professions to carry out their diagnosis, clinical, and patient management effectively.
What are the most common problems/challenges in managing medical records manually?
- Paper files: It is an exhausting task sorting patient record from the heap of files resting on each other and preserving those records for generation
- No data backup: There is no provision for data backup, when a patient record is lost the professionals have to repeat the entire process
- Patient’s data security: Since the physical records are not password-protected, the unauthorized access to the patient's record can compromise the patient’s confidential information.
- No uniformity: There is no uniformity maintained in noting down the patient’s critical information.
- No compliance: With manual medical records, there is no policies or compliance over managing patient’s records safely and securely.
- Difficult to collaborate and communicate: When several departments work on the same record, then collaboration is extremely difficult while working with paper documents. It may require printing multiple copies of the record. Since all documentation is done on the paper, the staff members cannot track patient information in real-time due to which the communication would be fragmented and may risk transferring the wrong information.
The best way to mitigate this would be to invest in Electronic Medical Record software.
What is electronic medical records software?
EMR software is a computer system that assists healthcare professionals to manage patient medical records and automate clinical workflows. The participants in the health care delivery system involve patients, health care providers, government agencies, insurers, and claims processors. Unlike the EHR solution, the EMR tool does not allow sharing electronic records with other organizations. An EMR solution usually allows physicians and clinicians to manage patient charts easily,ePrescriptions, billing, and electronically send orders for medical tests, lab work, and consultations.
- Patient reason for the visit and vital Signs
- Patient medications/ Controlled drugs
- Allergy documentation
- Surgical/medical history
- Physician visit
- Lab test orders
- Patient instructions
EMR solution is an invaluable investment for patient care. It can be deployed on-premise as well as on the cloud. EMR software is not just helpful in facilitating patient’s care but also improves communication between physicians and their team members. The prescription in a clear format reduces the medical error and conflict among the team members.
What is the difference between EMR and EHR?
- The digital record stays in the doctor's office and generally does not get shared with other health care facilities. If a patient switches doctors, his EMR is unlikely to follow.
- EMR software enables users to enter details about a patient’s medical care, including prescription medications and laboratory reports. EMR systems are more commonly used to schedule appointments, repeat prescriptions, and bill patients.
- An EHR (Electronic Health Record Software) holds the patient's records from multiple doctors and presents a more holistic view of a patient's health
- EHR system allows to perform all the activities that EMR does plus it is designed to be accessed by all individuals involved in the patients care, including the patients themselves
- Unlike EMR, EHR software allows a patient’s medical information to travel with them to different health care specialists, imaging facilities, labs, pharmacies, and more.
What is the basic workflow of EMR software?
One of the big barriers to the adoption of the EMR software is the failure to redesign the clinical process and workflow to incorporate the technology systems.
The basic workflow of EMR software explains the sequence of steps and hand-off taken within the process.
The in-depth EMR workflow for appointment and registration, patient’s treatment and diagnosis, patient admission during an emergency, laboratory test, and insurance claim could be elaborative, and explaining each in detail may take an entirely separate session. For general understanding, let’s see a basic workflow for EMR software.
Workflow for EMR,
Step 1) The patient enters the hospital/ clinic.
Step 2) Helpdesk checks patient detail,
- New patient - The patient is proceeded with the registration process, followed by Nurse checking medical history (allergies) as well as past treatment information and at last sent to the physician for a checkup
- Regular Patient - The patient is sent directly to the physician for the checkup
Step 3) Physician- Proceed with patient diagnosis and treatment procedure
Step 4) Need to perform a blood test
- Yes - Patient will be sent to an in-house technician to perform the test and then therapist/ Nurse- will take patient treatment procedure in hand
- No - Therapist/ Nurse directly take patient treatment procedure in hand
Step 5) In house pharmacy - Medication is dispensed as per the prescription.
Syep 6) Front- office- Billing is processed
Step 7) The patient pays the bill and exist from the hospital/clinic
What are the advantages of using Electronic Records Software?
- It reduces the use of paperwork and serious problems with physical storage
- It enables rapid transfer of patient health information to distant locations
- Accurate information about the patient can be given to researchers and health planners
- Besides the ability to store huge data, the centralized data systems reduce the loss and damage of medical records.
- The e-prescription saves money and time for both providers (physicians) and patients both
- Patients can immediately receive electronic copies of their healthcare information upon request.
- The healthcare professionals can have a comprehensive understanding of the patient's medical history and current state of health.
- Data that are adequately backed up preserve the data even during a natural disaster.
- EMR software systems can provide links to content, images, and videos, that eventually help patients to better understand their specific healthcare situation.
- EMR helps to process accurate and complete billing
- 24/7 access to patient profile through computers or mobile devices
What are the essential features to look for in a Medical Record Software?
The below-mentioned features add value to the medical record software, but the choice of the features may vary depending on the scale of operation. The healthcare professional managing a small clinic may or may not need some of the listed features, while a big hospital or healthcare institute may ingrain all of them.
- Flexible pricing models
- Capable of tracking patient demographics ( Primary information, insurance coverage, primary provider, etc.)
- Maintain security and privacy of patient health information
- Support for SSL certificate and HIPAA compliance
- Sends patient appointment alerts via email and SMS
- Maintains patients past history, and allergies to food or medication
- Send and receive patient's medical records via direct messaging
- Generate, send and track patient prescriptions and medications
- Allows flexible coding system for codes like CPT, HCPCS, ICD9, ICD10, etc. ( applicable to U.S.A)
- Allows to write prescriptions for controlled substances, drug diversion, reduce drug abuse, etc.
- Support electronic billing and should synchronize well with the healthcare organization ( hospitals, clinics, etc.
- Populate real-time data
- Support for multi-language
- Accessible from any type of mobile devices
- Interface for medical claim management, accounts receivable and EOB entry
- Allow to edit and sign a document online
- Third-party tool integration like “mailchimp” for marketing purpose
- Equipped with automatic backup and disaster recovery
- Easily connect with the patient through video-conference
- Facility to capture, save, access, and share imaging data and multimedia within the ecosystem
- Automatic scheduling of work for staffs
- Robust customer support and services
- Scalable enough to meet both large and small hospitals need
- Privilege based access
- Task management capabilities
How to implement an Electronic Medical Record (EMR) Software?
Step 1) Research EMR software
The small and large scale health institutes may have different views on the choice of software selection. Thorough research on EMR is required for a better selection of software. Also, make a choice between cloud and on-premise software.
Step 2) Work-flow analysis and reconfiguration
For best use of the EMR system, health-professional and team members must sit together and analyze the existing work process. Based on the outcome of the discussion, the workflow can be prepared, and a smooth transition plan can be developed.
Step 3) Facility modification and hardware installation
The EMR software may need facility modification followed by hardware installation as staff may access data from their workplace.
Step 4) Software Customization
A good EMR system may come with all necessary features; however, some users may have an extra requirement for their EMR system. The common type of configuration is observed around,
- Laboratory data management
- Developing a strong backup system
- Input or edit old entries
Step 5) Training and final deployment
The final stage involves staff training and final deployment. The software may demand training that may continue for 2-3 months, especially when the software is loaded with advanced features. Once they are trained well, the software is ready to use.
Can EMR software improve the healthcare quality?
Yes, EMR software can improve the healthcare quality.
It is likely that in the future, healthcare professionals will interact heavily with computers and high-end technology like AI and IoT to refine the service capabilities. Several healthcare professionals claim that EMR has helped them treat more patients and offers numerous benefits like remote access to patient records, medication error alerts, improved laboratory result availability, and reminders of preventive care. Overall the EMR software improves healthcare quality and propagates better communication among physicians, patients, and other team members.
The EMR software has convinced physicians about the exclusive benefits, but still, some are reluctant to adopt the software due to complex interface and higher costs. However, there are software vendors that are giving the best efforts to simplify Electronic Medical Records software usability and lower the product cost.
Can EMR Software meet the demand for performance, availability, and security?
Many health care organizations prefer to use more than one EMR; the reason may not be the inability of software to handle the piles of patient records but the organization requirement. The specialties like dermatology and ophthalmology request specific workflow, documentation, or image capture functions that are not available within “do it all” enterprise solutions. It means at one end of the spectrum; there is an EMR system that meets the needs of highly specific users. At the opposite end, there is a vendor’s universal solution used for general clinical use. So it is difficult to measure the performance of a “do it all “solution and enterprise-level on the same scale. The performance metrics for both could be different. However, there are performance metrics one can use to map EMR software performance.
Key metrics for EMR software performance,
- Number of users login capabilities
- Zero percent network latency
- Protection against security threat
- Real-time data updates
- Sending alerts and notifications on software updates
- System scaling ability
- Easy data migration and retrieving capabilities
- Minimum response time regardless of device (mobile, tablets or computer)
- Minimum maintenance cost
The EMR software performance is about understanding the end user’s requirements and building them with pin-point accuracy. For which it is necessary that software developers and clients communicate continuously with each other. They must ensure that there is a minimum latency period and maximum usability. For example, the emergency form should allow submission with minimum clicks and documentation so patients can be admitted quickly. It not just reduces the admission time but also makes software fast to respond. A lack of maintenance and updating processes could hamper software performance.
Technology is progressing at a breakneck pace, and at an equal pace, the software solutions are released. For any software product, their availability is crucial.
An EMR software failure can cause significant disruption at a hospital, making it hard for doctors to access prescriptions, evaluate x-rays, process laboratory results, etc. For any EMR, regardless of how robust the system is, the possibility of downtime cannot be neglected. However, the user can take a few precautionary steps or contingency plans to reduce software availability. The contingency plan should be for both - long term system outage and short term system outage.
The contingency plan may include a regular audit of the system, checking the supporting softwares and hardware at a regular interval, additional power back-up, availability of paper forms before downtime, planned downtime communication strategy via email, the organization should conduct tests to ensure data can be reloaded quarterly, conduct downtime drill yearly, etc. The part of the contingency plan also involves taking data back-up in case of a system crash. The backing-up of data from an EMR is more complicated than copying the data to a disc. Before buying an EMR system, make sure the vendor has adequate resources and procedures to back up the data.
Security is invariably the most critical factor in the healthcare organization. It is a priority for any health care organization to secure their patient data. The EMR software offers better control over patient information. The software lets the user encrypt the patient’s data making it unreadable to the person accessing it without permission. The security becomes even robust with two-factor authentication and a strong login password. With EMR software, it is possible to conduct the audit trail that quickly determines who has accessed a patient’s records.
Undoubtedly, the electronic medical records (EMRs) systems help address the security issues associated with traditional medical records.
What is the approximate cost of Medical Record Software?
EMR software vendors usually do not disclose pricing information on their websites; instead, they prefer contacting their sales team. It is difficult to decide on a particular EMR before knowing the hospital’s or physician’s priorities. The software users have to work on many questions like,
- Whether the user is interested in integrating practice management applications, such as billing and scheduling?
- Who will access the system nurse, doctors, physician assistants?
- How many users need unique logins?
- Does any feature require customization?
- Does a user want fully automated software or limited automation?
The total cost for implementing the EMR system with technical support could be anywhere between $25/ month to $500/ month, depending on the feature list. There is also a high-end software solution that may charge users as much as $35,000/ per month. This high-end solution is usually used by major healthcare organizations or hospitals.
The healthcare organizations having minimum budget can settle with software like Zenchart, Theraplatform, while the mid-range tool may involve BHC-Portal, TherapyNotes, RXNT, whereas the users having a preference for high-range tools can select among Praxis EMR, ElationEMR, eclinicalworks, etc.
The free and open-source software are available, but the users have to verify if there is any hidden cost levied on it. A free and open-source is a great option to avoid vendors-lockin.
Why refer to GoodFirms’ list of top electronic medical records (EMR) software?
GoodFirms is a well-known review and rating platform that lists the best IT solutions covering various domains. The consumers get a bird’s eye view on the product selection and software vendors a thorough outlook on their product quality. It has been helping consumers to match their business needs with the list of features and pricing.
Healthcare professionals focus on improving patient’s health usually find technology as their best ally. The medical records software helps health professionals to simplify the registration process and other time-consuming manual tasks. GoodFirms list of the best electronic medical records systems for healthcare professionals promises to deliver the best tips that can help you choose the one that suits your requirements.