Best Organizational chart software
Explore the best org chart software to design your organizational structure.
Do you find it difficult to understand central functions, job roles, reporting lines, and group dynamics in your organization? If yes, then you need to replace your current organizational charting method with the best org chart software. Businesses — small, medium, and large should start seeing an org chart as an essential element of optimizing their business. The best Org chart software can help you create simple, effective, and elaborate organizational charts combining the power of visualization, design, and data management.
What is Org Chart Software?
An org chart software is a ubiquitous application tool for modern organizations that helps in creating an accurate, effective, and high-performing organizational chart easily. Organizational chart software is an operationally-focused, visual representation tool that can keep every department accountable and well aligned with the business goals. With features such as pre-built templates, intelligent formatting, collaboration, restructuring, automation, chart preview, download, print, and many more, org chart software makes it super easy to build organization charts in no time. Organizational chart tools can keep complete control of the flow of internal communication and processes between divisions.
How to Select the Best Org Chart Software for Your Company?
It can be overwhelming to gauge the utility and affordability of org chart software for your organization on your own as there are numerous options available in the market. This is where GoodFirms can help you pick the top org chart software by providing you with a meticulous analysis of all factors, features, pricing, etc., of the org chart solutions. GoodFirms has compiled the most authentic and accurate list of org chart software solutions with reliable reviews and pricing information. The list is consistently updated by the GoodFirms to keep it relevant for the B2B software seekers. Check out the list below and select the best organizational chart software for your organization.
List of Organizational Chart Tools | Best Org Chart Software
Canva is an online design tool that offers users the opportunity to create professional-looking posters, slideshows, images, event flyers, resumes, cards, certificates, infographics, and other media. The tool allows students to design visuals to showcase their knowledge in unique ways. ... read more about Canva$12.95 Per Month30 Days20% in Org Chart Software
Lucidchart is an essential visual productivity platform that helps anyone understand and share ideas, information, and processes with clarity. With this intuitive, cloud-based solution, anyone can learn to work visually and collaborate in real time while building flowcharts, mockups, UML diagrams, and more. ... read more about LucidchartFree versionAvailable20% in Org Chart Software
SmartDraw is the smartest way to draw anything on any platform both Windows and Mac. You can create more than 70 types of diagrams—including flowcharts, org charts, hierarchy charts, UML diagrams, ERDS, network diagrams, floor plans and more in minutes. ... read more about SmartDrawFree versionAvailable12% in Org Chart Software
Gliffy's diagramming applications make it easy to communicate and collaborate at the speed of your ideas. Whether you're using Gliffy in Confluence and Jira or jumping into our standalone diagramming tool, Gliffy Online, you'll find an intuitive way to draw diagrams. Drag and drop your way to professional-looking flowcharts, UML diagrams, entity-relationship diagrams, and more in just a few cli ... read more about Gliffy$6 Per Month14 Days33% in Org Chart Software
MyDraw is an easy, affordable yet powerful tool that can help you create a vast amount of diagrams including flowcharts, organizational charts, mind maps, network diagrams, floor plans, family tree diagrams, business model diagrams, flyers, certificates and many more. Whether you need a simple vector drawing tool or a full-featured Microsoft Visio alternative, MyDraw is the perfect fit that will n ... read more about MyDrawFree versionAvailable50% in Org Chart Software
Creately is an online diagramming tool that helps individuals and teams to organize their thoughts and ideas visually. One of the key features of Creately is its visual collaboration capabilities, making it easy for team members to work together on a project in real-time. With Creately, users can share diagrams with others and multiple users can work on the same diagram simultaneously, streamli ... read more about CreatelyContact vendorN/A5% in Org Chart Software
It provides all visualization solutions, from diagram drawing, graphic design, to data visualization. Widely used in business, education, and social organizations. ... read more about Edraw Max$99 Per Year15 Days33% in Org Chart Software
Organimi is the easiest and most powerful way to create an organizational chart.
Organimi is a simple Organizational Chart tool.Organimi is perfect for small and medium sized businesses, not for profit organizations, faith groups, sports leagues, municipalities; schools, colleges & universities.Organimi is also useful for teams in large organizations to document and track their team structures. ... read more about Organimi$125.00 Per YearN/A50% in Org Chart Software
OfficeWork Software, a longtime leader and innovator in the Org Chart software industry, helps organizations solve their workforce organizational charting and visualizations needs. Using our OrgChart organizational charting software and advisory services organizations can gain HR insights and improve efficiency. ... read more about OrgChartContact vendorN/A100% in Org Chart Software
RFFlow is a powerful, yet easy to use, tool for drawing flowcharts, organization charts, and many other kinds of diagrams. You will quickly create professional-looking charts for documents, presentations, or the Web.RFFlow charts can be copied and pasted into all versions of Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Excel, and Corel WordPerfect. ... read more about RFFlow$49.00 One-time30 Days50% in Org Chart Software
BrightArch is an enterprise software company that specializes in helping organizations going through transformational changes (e.g., post-merger integration, restructuring, etc).Our first product is OrganizationWeaver; a set of tools and processes to efficiently design an organization, solicit employee preferences, and make informed staffing decisions. ... read more about OrganizationWeaverFree versionAvailable100% in Org Chart Software
Create impressive organizational charts with PeopleBoard organization chart software. We provide a cost effective and powerful way to search and display your organizational data.This is a fantastic org chart product. The service that you offered was also excellent. I will recommend the product to anyone that is looking at organizational chart software. ... read more about PeopleBoardContact vendor7 Days100% in Org Chart Software
Built for Teams creates modern, well-designed tools that help company leaders better understand and manage their most valued resource: their people. Our flagship product is our PTO Tracker, which works alongside existing payroll systems to add robust, automated processes for accruals, requests, approvals, and employee self-service access. ... read more about Built For TeamsContact vendorN/A100% in Org Chart Software
Our web-based org chart tool orginio allows for the visualization of organizational structures in no time. You can either start from scratch to build your company’s hierarchy or upload the data into orginio, e.g. from an existing Excel file. Either way, we offer the basic framework and smart designs. It is also possible to build your organizational chart based on your corporate design and integr ... read more about OrginioContact vendorN/A100% in Org Chart Software
Dia is a program to draw structured diagrams. The current Dia release has been tested successfully on Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP, Linux and Mac OS X. ... read more about DiaFree versionAvailable33% in Org Chart Software
At its core, the Visual Understanding Environment (VUE) is a concept and content mapping application, developed to support teaching, learning, and research and for anyone who needs to organize, contextualize, and access digital information. Using a simple set of tools and a basic visual grammar consisting of nodes and links, faculty and students can map relationships between concepts, ideas, and d ... read more about Visual Understanding EnvironmentFree versionAvailable100% in Org Chart Software
OpenNTF was founded in December 2001 by Bruce Elgort and Nathan T Freeman and launched in 2002. The organization provided a hosting site for sharing applications and useful code for the Notes and Domino platform. Projects have included full-blown client and web applications, rich client plugins, administrative tools, and more. ... read more about OpenNTFFree versionAvailable100% in Org Chart Software
Pingboard is a real-time, collaborative org chart that makes it easy to organize teams, plan for growth, and keep everyone informed. Our mission is to revolutionize people's planning. As companies scale, it becomes increasingly difficult to manage hiring plans across the organization, design career paths, and adopt new agile organizational models. We are creating software that reimagines how these ... read more about PingboardFree versionAvailable100% in Org Chart Software
Yuvo is the only all-in-one Business Productivity and Employee Engagement platform a company needs. We help businesses Manage, Engage and Retain their talent to become a better Employer of Choice. Recruit, seamlessly onboard, train, measure & improve employee performance — all in one platform. Draw from best global practices for your HR needs. Happy employees make happier and profitable business ... read more about Yuvo$15 Per Month30 Days20% in Org Chart Software
The modern employee directory for Microsoft 365. In large organizations it's hard to know who's who and where everyone fits in. That's why we created OneDirectory, a new way for your employees to connect with each other and gain insight into your organization's structure. Whether you're a team of 50 or 50,000, OneDirectory for Microsoft 365 improves collaboration and boosts teamwork across your or ... read more about OneDirectoryContact vendor14 Days100% in Org Chart Software
Introduction to Buyer’s Guide for Org Chart Software
Beyond a certain employee strength, it is not possible to know what others do in an organization? What are the reporting protocols, or what roles and responsibilities each one has? The challenge amplifies when there are different departments, divisions, locations, shifts, time zones, etc. Therefore, businesses need org charts that provide a snapshot of their organization and supply details such as structure, empowered supervisors, and staff roles. However, the traditional methods of drawing org charts such as paper, excel, or PowerPoint fails when it comes to the complex organizational structures of modern companies. Also, they are not safe and secure and are highly prone to human errors.
This is where organizations need an org chart software that can assist organizations in charting their organizational structure with minimum efforts and provides impenetrable security. However, selecting the best org chart on your own is a laborious task. You need to analyze multiple parameters before you can finalize the top org chart software that suits your organizational structure and comes within your budget. Therefore, this buyer’s guide provides valuable data, analysis, and information to org chart software seekers. Read this guide to know all essential aspects, features, functionalities, and factors before investing in an org chart software application.
What is an Organizational Chart?
Organizational charts are a visual representation of an organization's structure, including divisions, reporting relationships, and span of control. An organizational chart is an integral part of people management systems and corporate culture. Organizational charts represent companies' structure, employee roles, and processes. Organizational Charts tell us a lot about an organization's work culture, hierarchy levels, types of communication, and reporting systems.
Org chart solves a lot of questions about organizational structure:
- Whether the organization is centralized or decentralized?
- If the structure is flat or distributed?
- What type of communication (Upstream or Downstream) is followed?
- Whether the organization is product-centric or customer-centric?
- Where is the talent located?
- Does the organization have talent diversity?
Why is Organizational Chart Important for Businesses?
Organizational charts are the guiding force for employees and provide them the clarity about their reporting process, grievance redressal, responsibilities, limitations, and powers. Org charts are important to strike a balance between leadership tasks and day-to-day operations. It reduces complexity, eliminates silos, and ensures dynamic resource allocation across groups. They demarcate the line of authority, eliminate cross-departmental confusions and provide a visual representation of the structural stability of the organization. Org charts provide competitive intelligence. Companies within the same industry groups often use organizational charts to understand their competitors. Businesses can infer from the competitors’ org chart about their hierarchical structure, setup, centralization, bureaucracy, and divisions and see if that has benefited them or not.
- It prevents miscommunication, creation of duplicate resources, or conflicts
- It keeps the organization from falling into an anarchic situation
- It motivates employees to work hard to reach the top positions in the structure
- It provides everyone a clear picture of leadership roles or the chain of command.
- It eliminates functional barriers and silos
- It also helps in efficient workforce planning, resource allocation, and restructuring.
- It eliminates the issues created due to unclear reporting relationships
What Are the Types of Organizational Structures?
In Matrix organizational structure, employees with similar skills are shown in a grid or matrix-like structure. This happens as employees may be reporting to multiple supervisors. For example, all digital marketing executives working on a project may report to one digital marketing manager. However, the same executives may be assigned other projects also, and they may be reporting to another digital marketing manager for that project.
The hierarchy organizational structure represents the organization like a pyramid. The different levels of the pyramid depict variations based on authority, functions, powers, or management roles. The top-level represents the members with the highest designation and functional powers. In a hierarchy, employees who come at lower levels report to the supervisors just above them.
The most agile and decentralized organizations that work on the principle of social networking and open and flexible communication choose to describe their organization with a network organizational structure. This type of organizational structure makes sense when companies have centralized services and are dealing with a multitude of internal and external partners, vendors, freelancers, contractors, etc. It makes it easy for the organization and its employees to visualize the complex workflows, processes, and on-site and off-site relationships.
Horizontal or Flat Structure
In organizations where there are fewer levels between the top and bottom level, employees, horizontal or flat organizational structure fits well. Startups, small enterprises, etc., use horizontal structure to represent the levels between upper management and staff level employees. In such organizations, the staff level employees are directly involved in the decision-making process as the middle-level management is eliminated.
A team-based structure cuts the hierarchy by empowering employees working on similar goals to work together with more control over their functions. For example, a team that works for a manufacturing company may consist of a project manager, finance manager, designer, technician, and workers. Working as an autonomous unit, the team focuses on maximized collaboration, reporting, and problem-solving.
In very large organizations, its various divisions may have a self-sufficient status. They may have the power and authority to utilize their resources, manage their employees, operate in a standalone way by making their own decisions. Such divisions may be compared to small companies operating with their own departments, marketing teams, salespeople, IT teams, etc.
The divisions are based on factors such as market, products, geographies, industry type, customer segment, etc. For example:
- a conglomerate that sells in various countries may have independent units in each country
- an organization selling petroleum products and textile may have two divisions that operate independently.
- a large organization may have separate divisions for logistics, marketing, and sales
In a circular organizational structure, the organization is seen from a center and drawn in a circular form. It represents hierarchy in a circular form rather than the vertical form. Managers, employees, management, etc. are shown as part of circles. The innermost and central circle represents the people with the highest power and authority. The outer circles represent employees, vendors, and other stakeholders.
In functional organizational structures employees in the same department are grouped together and boxes in charts represent one department. This clubs the employees with similar functional responsibilities together.
Why Should You Chart Your Organization’s Workforce?
Charts are an important visual aid in project management. It is an operationally-focused system that can keep every department aligned as per the business goals. Today’s actionable organizational charts are like comprehensive corporate biographies with reliable information. They bring order to data chaos by organizing the company’s structural data into an intelligible form.
- An organizational chart is a type of Who’s Who Resource for the workforce. Using photos of the employees, different colors for divisions, various shapes to depict workgroups, department-wise icons, etc., make it visually appealing and easy to understand.
- It delineates the managerial span of control by detailing all the members who report to a particular manager
- Chart clearly defines the responsibilities, and everyone knows who can participate in a decision-making process (hiring, terminations, promotions, supervisions, training, strategic decisions, etc.)
- Employees know who will and who can delegate the tasks to them just by seeing the chart. They also know where to report issues, requests, or proposals.
- It acts as an onboarding tool where new employees can be added to the chart
What Are the Challenges Companies Face While Making Organizational Charts?
In a recent survey, 56% of senior executives revealed that their organizational structures don’t create clear accountability. One reason highlighted is the use of outdated charting methods to create organizational structures. Organization charts are the blueprints that define roles and responsibilities, departments, divisions, and how they are interconnected to make an integrated functional unit. However, when companies undertake to make organizational charts using traditional charting methods, they face a lot of challenges such as:
- Static Charts: When your organization uses paper charts, it is not feasible to edit them on a regular basis. Adding headcounts, removing employees or job roles, and making changes in the layers are not possible on paper charts.
- Design Issues: When you use excel sheets or simple computer programs to chart your organizational structure then, you may end up with an unattractive and poorly designed chart. Creative and progressive charts require modern tools that are not available in excel sheets or paper-based charts.
- Detailing: Excel sheets or paper charts have limitations when it comes to deep detailing. You can add notes; however, adding multiple layers to illustrate specific details in a visually appealing way is not possible with excel sheets.
- Time-consuming: The traditional methods are not user-friendly, and therefore it takes a lot of time and effort to make organizational charts.
- Storage and distribution: With paper-based charts, storage and distribution to all employees are always an issue.
- Security: Org charts also contain confidential information that cannot be shared with everyone. For example, HR won’t want all employees to see each other's salary. Therefore, such charts will require layer-wise access controls and permissions.
Organizations can easily overcome these challenges with the aid of the best Org Chart Software.
What is an Org Chart Software?
Org chart software is an application tool that assists organizations in creating, managing, editing and updating organizational charts without any hassle. Org chart solutions transform the raw data procured from various data sources into a graphical depiction. It comes packed with the top elements that you need to create the best organizational charts for your company, such as pre-built templates (industry-specific), drag and drop functionality, intuitive interface, design options, premium support, backup, security features, and set up modules.
How to Create An Organizational Chart Online Using Org Chart Software?
You can use an online organizational chart software to create org charts online. You need to sign up for an online org chart software and follow the below steps for creating interactive org charts:
- Create Charts: Most online org chart software have a create button to enter into the chart maker interface.
- Select Template or Shape: You may choose from already existing pre-built templates and shapes (ovals, rectangles, circles, etc.).
- Formatting: Select fonts, font size, background color, graphics, etc.
- Build: Using the drag and drop functionality start adding the levels, hierarchy, and data into the shapes. Connect sections, add pages, and images of employees, etc.
- Preview: Once the chart is complete, preview the chart and share it with anyone for approval, suggestions, edits, etc.
- Launch and Share: After approvals and edits, you can share the final chart with easy sharing options. You can also embed charts on your company website.
- Download: You can also download the chart in PDF or other formats.
What Are the Various Types of Org Chart Software?
On-Premise Org Chart Software
These types of org chart software are licensed, and organizations can install them within their IT infrastructure. On-Premise org chart solutions are mostly deployed by companies seeking to keep their data on their own local servers.
Web-based Org Chart Software
These types of online org chart software solutions are hosted by third-party solution providers. Web-based online org chart maker can be accessed from anywhere with a user login ID and 2-factor authentication.
Cloud-based Org Chart Software
These types of org chart software are hosted through cloud solution providers. These are popular with large business organizations that require extensive charting solutions and features, massive data storage capacities, and extreme flexibility. The cloud-based org chart solution is a SaaS (Software as a Service) product that allows organizations to access the services through internet-enabled devices.
Open Source Org Chart Software
These types of org chart software allow users to customize source code for more features, modify inbuilt settings to suit internal needs, and add extra plugins to enhance the capabilities, usability, and functionality of the software. When companies need to accommodate specific features in their org chart solutions that are unavailable with any vendor, then open source org chart software can be deployed.
What are the Benefits of Modern Org Chart Software?
Easy Workforce Planning: With extensive knowledge of the organization on a single chart, org chart software provides organizations with the power to plan their workforce easily, see trends, identify gaps, analyze metrics, etc. No doubt, org charts are ubiquitous to the workforce ecosystem.
Scale: Whether you are a 100 employee company or 10000 employee organization, org chart software lets you chart your organizational structure with ease, flexibility, and scalability.
Automation saves your time: Modern org chart software solutions are designed to save time and effort involved in charting the organizational workforce. Org chart software can automate the creation, addition and deletion, and maintenance of the chart based on its integration with HR tools. It can take employee data automatically from HR software or employee databases and update the chart automatically when employees join or leave the organization.
Provide Essential Workforce Metrics: Org charting software provide essential workforce information and metrics such as Headcount calculations (total number of employees in an organization), Job type (title, position, job code, classification), Job Role (roles and responsibilities, functions, and power), etc.
Provides Intelligent Analytics: With organization chart software’s intelligent analytics coupled with AI, companies can spot patterns in the talent ecosystem, identify critical gaps, and fix them to be more competitive.
Keeps data safe: Most org chart vendors keep data centers at multiple locations to keep your data safe and available in real-time.
Creates Transparency: Org charts software makes the chart available online on companies’ web properties, allows authorized collaboration, and displays open and occupied positions allowing more transparency for timely talent acquisition.
Who Uses Org Chart Software?
- HR Managers: Org chart software is used by HR managers for workforce planning and employee onboarding. Org chart software can also highlight open job roles and help in the recruitment and hiring process.
- Higher Management: People in leadership positions use organizational chart software to create versions of business scenarios that depict promotions or changes in leadership roles. It helps them to visualize the organizational structure before decisions take concrete shape. Both HR teams and upper management use org chart software for succession planning.
- Admins: Company’s administrative team uses org chart software as a staff directory that contains a list and critical information of all employees.
- Cross-Department Teams: Cross-functional teams can use org chart software to know other team members for better collaboration.
- Sales and marketing departments: Sales and marketing departments use org charts to understand external relationships with potential clients.
- Budgeting and Finance Department: By gaining a complete view of an organization's workforce and functional roles through organization charting software, financial managers can allocate resources based on team size and roles.
- Consultants and Investors: Organizational chart software is used by analysts, consultants, investors, strategy consulting firms, hedge funds, etc., to gain insights from organizational charts about the company's culture, employee retention, structural stability, vastness, etc. Such insights help them in making better strategic and investment decisions. A well-structured organization with optimal talent distribution and organized divisions is worth investment.
What are the Top Features of Org Chart Software?
- Create Chart: With plenty of options, tools, drag and drop functionality, and templates, create powerful organizational charts that suit your company type and easily update whenever you need them.
- Share: For teams building the chart, this option allows collaboration with the viewing, editing, and sharing rights.
- Predefined Themes: Use pre-built themes, shapes, logos, diagram types, styles, formatting options, templates, structures, etc., to make your chart visually appealing.
- Intelligent Formatting: Add, delete or move shapes or edit pre-existing templates.
- Automatic Spacing: It can automatically add or remove space, perfect the alignment, resize shapes for consistency, and give the final touch for color schemes.
- Add Photos: Organizational charts with photos of the workforce provide a better understanding of the organization and make it easy for employees to know and communicate with each other. This feature lets you easily add photos in shapes by a simple browse and upload feature.
- Preview: You can preview your work as many times as you wish.
- Publish: Integrations with multiple publishing tools makes it possible to publish your completed and approved charts on your website and other online properties.
- Auto pagination: Split your charts into multiple pages with the auto pagination feature and view each page separately for better understanding.
- Draw multiple types of Charts: Allows to make all types of charts such as hierarchy, matrix, network, line, flat, etc.
- Advanced Search: This feature allows you to search an individual on the chart using various search filters such as name, designation, department, title, etc.
- In-depth Profiles: You can add extensive data to each profile. For instance, clicking on each profile may provide data such as skills, interests, awards, and links to more information about the employees.
- Restructuring: In case of restructuring, mergers, acquisitions, or division shut down, the org chart software provides easy scenario planning and chart modification.
- Download and Printing: The organization chart can be downloaded in PDF form and can be printed if required.
- Import from Excel Sheets: Create charts in minutes by one-click data import from excel sheets.
Factors to Consider Before Purchasing an Org Chart Software?
Before you select the top org chart software, you need to understand what factors to consider to make the best buying decision. Below are some critical factors that you need to consider meticulously:
Organization’s Size: While most of the org chart systems are scalable to adopt any number of employees/members on the chart, some might be more suitable than others based on the size and type of the organization. There are software particularly designed for small companies, mid-sized businesses, or large organizations. One should consider and check this with the vendor before purchasing the software. You can also select plans that suit your organization type.
Organization’s Structure: Select a software solution that goes well with your organization’s structure. There are some software vendors who have specialized org chart software solutions for different types of organizational structures.
- Can the org chart software integrate with other applications such as Google Workspace, MS office, collaborative tools, etc.?
- Whether the software can work with all types of operating systems?
- How secure is the organization chart software from data theft? And what are the privacy features?
- Does the software provide the required storage, sharing, and collaboration capacity?
- Is the org chart software system intuitive and easy to work on?
- Can integrate with databases such as SQL, active directory, excel, etc., for auto-population?
- Is the org chart application scalable to accommodate more features?
- Is the org chart solution accessible on multiple operating systems and devices?
- How many users are licensed to use the software?
- What is the pricing structure for the org chart software? Is it available for a monthly subscription, annual pricing, or one-time pay?
- Are there any installation costs and software training charges?
- Can the online org chart tools work smoothly with low bandwidth internet connectivity?
- Whether it provides 100% compliance to the existing data privacy and local regulations?Whether the below functionalities and services are available?
- 24/7 customer support
- Free software upgrades
- Free trial or Free demo
What is the Average Cost of Buying an Org Chart Software?
The costs of the best org chart software depend on a large number of factors such as:
- Quality of service and customer support offered
- User-friendliness and interface
- Auto Formatting features
- Security features
- Ease of configuration
- Deployment: Cloud-based, Web-based, on-premise software, or open-source
Org chart software comes in the price range of $2-$199 per month per user. You can also get free org chart software with limited features. Let us discuss both the paid and free plans.
PingBoard organization chart software comes at $99 per month for 50 users, and its company plan costs you $199 per month for 100 users. ($2 per user). For the professional plan of Gliffy, you need to pay $7.99 per user. The single-user plan of SmartDraw costs you $9.95 per month when billed annually. For more than five users, you can get SmartDraw at $8.25 per user per month.
If you need free org chart software, check out the free version of Lucidchart, Creately, or Canva. If you need free and open source org chart software, check out our article on free and open source org chart software that lists some of the best open source org chart software.
For other org chart software solutions such as OrgChart, PeopleBoard, Built For Teams, and Originio, you need to contact the vendors. Get the updated list of org chart makers and their complete information from the GoodFirms org chart page’s product section.
Why Refer to GoodFirms’ List of Org Chart Software?
Goodfirms is a frontline software research company popular in the Information Technology sector for its comprehensive lists of thousands of software products and IT services. GoodFirms has a rich tradition of providing buying guidance and assistance to aspirants of B2B IT products and services. GoodFirms regularly updates the listings of software products based on market situations, new tech research, and relevance. GoodFirms also gives software ratings based on their performance, feature updates, and user reviews. Currently, GoodFirms houses a massive list of 60000+ software products and services. GoodFirms has also collected 30000+ reviews of these services and products from genuine users. You are advised to go through the list of extensively researched best org chart software to find the best one for yourself.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Best Software for Org Charts?
The best org chart software is the one that helps companies to chart their company's strategy, work landscape, values, authority framework, and relationships through well-structured organizational charts. The best org chart software solutions allow organizations to respond to market opportunities quickly by the agile transformation of their current org structure. The best org chart software focuses on networking and collaboration, comes at an affordable rate, and provides innovative techniques to build standard organizational charts. Some of the best org chart software selected by GoodFirms are Lucidchart, SmartDraw, Gliffy, Creately, Organimi, Orgchart, Orginio, Canva, etc. For the complete list of the best org chart software, see our Product section on this page.
How to Automate Organizational Chart?
Org chart software can easily automate the process of creating, updating, and editing of org charts. Org chart software collects large data sets from your databases, excel sheets, HR system, payroll system, CSV files, etc., and can automatically use the data sets to create org charts. With automatic data refresh tools, it reorganizes source data to accommodate any changes in the organization's structure. It can update titles, descriptions, supervisor changes, employee exits, and joining, etc., by continuously monitoring the source systems. (Databases, HR systems, etc.). Other automation available with org chart software are automatic box-sizing, page layout, image refresh, automated conditional formatting, and customization.
Why Do You Need an Org Chart Software?
Modern companies work in a constantly changing business environment. The complexity is amplified with numerous systems, enormous databases, and divisions. This leads to big maintenance challenges and administrative work. In such scenarios, organizations need to adopt agile processes, effective procedures, and dynamic IT tools that support critical functions. Org chart software is one such essential tool that helps organizations to understand and chart their structure and provide employees and managers with organizational information at their fingertips. The manual processes take up significant employee time, while org chart software can automate charting processes and reduce the need for manual interference. It also brings accuracy, reliability, and transparency to the organization's charting process.
What is the Difference Between Organizational Structure, Organizational Chart, and Organizational Design?
Organizational Structure details the flow of power, direction of activities, and type of organizational communication an organization follows to achieve its end objectives, vision, and mission. It defines the roles and responsibilities, task allocation, collaboration, managerial or supervisory levels, and divisions of an organization. An organizational Chart is the visual representation of the organization’s structure. Organizational Design is the methodology by which businesses form their processes, structure, and workflows. It is a type of toolkit by which organizations identify the better structure, processes, and facilities for their stakeholders.
Are there Any Free and Open Source Org Chart Software Solutions?
Yes, there are many free and open source org chart software that can be used by small or medium business organizations. It is scalable, customizable, and helps companies with budget restraint to create powerful org charts for free. Some of the best free and open source org chart software are Visual Understanding Environment, MyDraw, OpenNTF, Dia Diagram Editor, etc. You can read our article on free and open source org chart software for more information on open source org charts.