For a hospital or a healthcare related industry, patient empowerment is always a double-edged sword. There is pressure to invest in continuous improvement. Patient empowerment is just not about patient engagement, nor about delivering service with a reactive approach. Instead, it is about supporting the patients at every level and minimizing the crisis moment for them in addition to making decisions that reflect the strategies. It is an endeavour that always starts with a systemic approach, sound policy, excellent patient care and transparency in healthcare. To improve operational efficiency and to gain better control over the Hospital management process, it is imperative that all hospitals and healthcare organizations own a good Hospital Management Software system.
There is no doubt that Hospital management software systems will have an intense impact on the healthcare industry in the years to come.
The following sections of the article will discuss widely on Hospital management; benefits of investing in good Hospital management solutions, and then eventually explain some of the striking features of the 10 Top Free and Open Source Hospital Management Software solutions.
What is Hospital Management?
Hospital management is a process where healthcare providers can practice effectively and efficiently accurate administration of everything right from patient registration till appointment & scheduling, patient information management, document management, consultation management, lab management, drug safety management, doctor-patient interaction, diet management, report generation, staff management, ward management, and outpatient management.
In short, good Hospital management starts by ensuring anytime availability, anytime accessibility and high quality of the healthcare system to the patients. It can promise better outcomes.
Having an automated Hospital Management System (HMS) can help hospitals practice an accurate and fast transactional approach, efficient administration, better patient care and precise execution at each stage.
Hospital Management System (HMS)
The Hospital Management Software market is segmented by product as cloud, on-premise, free, paid and open source hospital management solutions and also based on the modules offered. The Hospital management system enables hospitals and healthcare centres to function systematically and manage information effectively to deliver better patient care. The software integrates with all the functionalities of the hospitals and all the information related to doctors, patients, and hospital staffs. Several hospitals have installed hospital management software to streamline their operation and business process. The intention is to manage every aspect, of any size and boost work effectively across all levels, at all time.
Potential Benefits of Hospital Management Systems
- Efficient and accurate hospital administration
- Improved monitoring
- Improved patient-doctor interactions
- Enhanced information integrity
- Reduced duplication of information
- Minimal/zero data errors
- Patient empowerment
- Business enhancement
- Be technically-advanced
- Enhanced data security
- Better clinical decision-making
- Better revenue
- Good ratings
- Track errors and details in real-time
- Paperless work environment (Helps to go green)
- Timer-based task execution
- In-built messaging/mail system, alerts, and notifications
- Comprehensive and hospital-wide information management
- Above all, it is easy to use
- Dietary Management
- Blood Bank Management
- Laboratory Information Management
- Ambulance Services Management
- Nursing and Ward Management
- Pharmacy Management
- Operation Theatre Scheduling and Management
- Waste Management
- Housekeeping and Laundry Management
- Causality Management
- Document Management System
Now, let us see how specific users benefit from a Hospital Management software:
Now that you are familiar with the Hospital Management System let us take you through the top 10 Free and Open Source Hospital Management Software solutions.
OpenEMR is one of the most popular Free and Open Source Hospital management Software solutions available today. As an ONC certified software, OpenEMR fulfils the electronic record management and hospital management functionalities of health centres of any size.
(Image Source: OpenEMR)
- Facility to access role-based menus and custom menus
- Accessible from any web-browser
- Allows encryption of patient records
- Multiple-languages support
- Customized report generation
- Automated tracking
- A modern and fully functional user interface
- Create and customize electronic patient records
- Easy and advanced scheduling & Appointments
- Supports third-party portals
- Integrated billing
- Automated reminders
- Supports medical claim management
- Easy tracking of prescription and drug availability
- Facility to view medical imaging
- Track patient demographics
- Facility to navigate complex algorithms
- Lab integration
- Back-up and recovery facilities
The software currently supports nearly 30 languages and is packed with rich features more than just the basic elements required to manage hospital activities and create excellent patient care. The software also offers a series of turn-key solutions with Amazon’s cloud services.
Open Clinic GA is an open source Hospital Management Solution widely used due to its systemic approach towards integrated information management facilities. The software covers the administration and management of several functions related to hospital and patient care. Also, the software is well known for its extensive reporting facilities.
(Image source: Open Clinic GA)
- Excellent billing system
- Statistical report generation
- Supports multimedia
- Modules include Human resource management, Lab and Pathology management, ADT management, pharmacy management, database management, and integrated patient appointment & Scheduling system.
- Biometric /Fingerprint identification
- Barcode recognition
- Integrates multi-lingual drug detection
- Availability of clinical thesaurus
Built specifically for limited resource hospitals, Open Clinic GA supports multiple languages including English, Spanish, French, Dutch, and Portuguese. The software is highly customizable and is available for free for unlimited usage.
Built around an extensible framework, OpenMRS is a simple to use, flexible and powerful free and open source hospital management software that is committed to enabling integrated and comprehensive healthcare management for better patient care.
(Image Source: OpenMRS Wiki)
- Automatic Identifier card and code generation
- Role-based homepage
- Location-based login
- Easily manageable forms
- Customizable report generation module
- Powerful registration and scheduling module
- Dictionary interface
- Centrally defined data via concept dictionary
- Privilege Access based on roles and permission
- Excellent Patient repository
- Multiple identifiers
- Easy access to data
- Modular extendable architecture
- Embedded patient workflows
- Multiple language support
- Support for any type of complex data including images, audio files, etc
- Flexible reporting feature
OpenMRS is a project supported by international governments; NGOs, profit and non-profit organization with an intention to enable hospitals to provide better patient care and at the same time manage hospital administration well.
OneTouch EMR is a highly customizable, easy-to-use and extremely functional hospital management software. The free plan of this open source software allows users to access many of the core features for an unlimited time.
(Image Source: OneTouch EMR)
- EMR support for all devices including iPad, Android, and Windows
- Excellent support system with online training videos
- Secure backup and disaster recovery system
- A conveniently manageable patient portal
- Integrated with lab and pathology management
- Appointment and Scheduling
- Reminders with email and text messages
- Medical voice dictation facility
- Easy navigation of the dashboard in just a click
- Well displayed patient demographics
- Integrated billing system
- Touch-screen interface
- Optimized for mobile technology
- Practice management
- Coding and billing management
As the software is designed and developed by a physician, it perfectly covers all aspects of hospital administration requirements and the core workflows. The software complies with the E&M coding guidelines.
HospitalRun is one of the top-rated free and open source hospital management systems that fit well even for a least resourced healthcare set-up. The software is designed to enhance user experience be it doctors, administrators or even patients.
(Image Source: Hospital Run)
- Patient Registration & Appointment Management
- Integration with Radiology & Imaging Information
- Complete Diagnostic Management
- Claims Management
- Doctor Management
- Custom Report Generation system
- Electronic medical records
- Appointment management for accident & emergency care
- Integrates with Lab / Pathology information
- Ready-to-use drug information system
- Customized billing System
- Patient Records Management
- An efficient Patient Discharge system
The software is built specifically for low & medium income Countries.
The core features of the software align well with today’s rural healthcare set-ups and are aimed to help users save time sufficiently. The features are designed considering global health and data.
Bahmni is an effective Hospital management software system that enables hospitals and healthcare providers to improve patient care and manage efficiently clinical and diagnostic functionalities. The software is designed specifically to minimize the errors that generally hospitals face during their day-to-day operations.
(Image Source: Bahmni)
- Intuitive dashboard
- Complete management of patient information across registration, scheduling, point-of-care, investigations, billing, and discharge.
- Supports a variety of devices
- Flexible workflows and forms
- Facility to generate disease-specific forms
- Integrates with drug prescription, lab and radiology information
- Drug stock management
- Accurate billing
- Customized report generation (Operational & clinical)
Suitable for low resource environment, Bahmni is an Open Source Hospital Management Software System named after a village approximately 70km north of a small town named Bilaspur in India. Users can deploy the software free of cost.
This easy-to-use and install hospital management software covers all aspects and functionalities of a hospital/ healthcare center. The software works well with any type and size of healthcare set up and promises to enable efficient management of areas across patient registration, information management, Inpatients, Outpatients management, Billing, Lab, Radiology, Doctors, Pharmacy and much more.
(Image Source: Advanced Hospital Management System)
- Inpatient module
- Outpatient module
- Multiple-document interface
- Appointment and Registration
- Patient information management
- Doctor-patient scheduling
- Drug management
- Hospital database management
- Lab/Radiology integration
- Customized report generation
- Easy Billing module
- Auto backup
- Currency customization
In short, the Advanced Hospital Management System is a complete package to manage all the core functions of a hospital. This open source software is available as a free version too with all core features.
This Free and Open Source Hospital Management Software is perfect to automate clinic business and patient care functions.
(Image Source: MedKey)
- Simple design
- Easy-to-use dashboard
- Secured platform
- Complete database management
- Easy registration
- Integrated medical CRM
- Electronic Health Record (EHR)
- Customized planning and forecasting faculties
- Efficient Accounting modules
- Drug Inventory Management
- Integrates with medical device manufactures
- Works on any device and operating system
MedKey Hospital Management Software fits all hospital standards.
Whether you are running a large healthcare system or a hospital or a primary care centre, VistA hospital management software can be the right choice. VistA is a free and open source solution and the most renowned integrated healthcare system.
(Image Source: VistA)
- Comprehensive EHR system
- Easy-to-use patient management features
- Integration with Drug, Radiology and Pathology information
- Doctor / Patient appointment management
- Easy Billing options right within the dashboard
- Integrated hospital administrative modules
VistA has a track record of supporting a huge variety of clinical settings and is rated as one of the most convenient and easy-to-use hospital management software system. The name VistA stands for “the Veterans Health Information Systems and Technology Architecture” created by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Originally named as a decentralized hospital computer program, the software was designed specifically to support a high-quality health care environment. The software currently serves users outside of the VA, both in the United States and all over the world.
Open source VistA hospital management system stands atop compared to any other free hospital management system and other commercial-off-the-shelf EHR solutions.
10. Open Hospital
Open Hospital is a Free and Open Source Hospital Management System ideal for the healthcare set-ups in rural areas.
(Image source: Open Hospital)
- Supports Multiuser & Multi-group
- Supports multiple languages
- Patient Registration with the photo of the patient
- Out Patient visits management
- In-Patient Management
- Pregnancy Management
- Pharmacy Management
- Integrated Lab Module
- Malnutrition control management
- Quick and easy billing modules
- Vaccines database management
- Therapy management
- SMS reminder facilities
- DICOM viewer
- Statistical and customized reports
Developed by Informatici Senza Frontiere, Open Hospital is one of the best hospital management software for small and mid-sized hospitals. The software demands zero- maintenance and offers an excellent support system to the users.
Apart from the above mentioned free and open source Hospital management systems, there is one software solution that needs no introduction. It is eHospital Systems. This hospital management solution promises to offer a sustainable and increased efficiency with a clear-cut focus for transparency and integrated operations. For better working modality, Hospitals and multi-specialty clinics can choose eHospital Systems.
eHospital Systems is a product of Adroit Infosystems. Designed perfectly to manage the entire operations of Hospitals, eHospital Systems is simple and easy-to-operate.
(Image Source:eHospitals Systems)
Modules available in eHospital Systems
- Patient Registration
- Appointment & Scheduling
- Outpatient management
- Inpatient management
- Inpatient billing
- Discharge Summary
- Lab management
- Radiology management
- Pharmacy management
- Consultant management
- Store management
- MRD management
- Payroll management
- Report generation
- Accounts management
- Service management
eHospital Systems is rated as one of the best healthcare IT software for its functionalities, easy accessibility, and affordability. The company offers 24 hours live chat support and online support to the users. The software was recently made available to new geographic regions based on huge demand.
Several research studies are legitimately prognosticating that the global market for hospital management software (HMS) systems would expand at a massive speed in the years to come. The high number of intensive care within the hospitals and healthcare centres, along with the growing demand to maintain patient records digitally are the key factors contributing to the growth of this market.
Canada and the USA are leading in the popularity of maintaining digital health records and better hospital management. The growing adoption of Hospital management solutions has also brought about an array of benefits for the Hospitals and healthcare providers in these areas. Some of the noted benefits indicated by the hospitals who have invested in a Hospital Management Software Solution include:
To consistently run business, hospitals and healthcare organizations must keep both the present and the future demands in sight. Integrating technology with hospitals to collect, manage and exchange data and monitor patients more effectively will help in creating a well-organized healthcare system, saving time, energy and cost for patients, doctors and hospital staffs.
The above listed free hospital management software, and Open Source hospital management software solutions will surely guide you in investing in one that suits your need. eHospital Systems, MedStar HIS, Caresoft HIS, GeniPulse, Practo are other Hospital Management Software solutions that you can try too.
Patient Empowerment is very much a high priority.
After all, Patient empowerment largely depends on accountable and value-based experiences and core models that the healthcare providers generate with a patient-centric approach. It is time to get out of weak infrastructure and disconnected environments.
Well, if you are yet to adopt a Hospital Management Software, it is high time you get it. Pick from the list of top 10 Free and Open Source Hospital Management Software discussed in this blog or you can check the list of best Hosptial Management Software Solutions created by GoodFirms. If you are already using a Hospital Management system, feel free to share your feedback with us.
Sophia Jayden is a senior writer and a content marketing specialist. She has 10+ years’ experience in content writing and marketing. Currently, she is a staff writer at GoodFirms, a pioneering B2B research, review and rating platform. For more information about her work, you can reach out and start a conversation with her at [email protected]
Great article !! each and every point is very well explained and great information provided on 10 different and free hospital management software thanks for the share.
- Mobile App Development (65)
- Web Development (7)
- Software Development (9)
- App Designing (UI/UX) (6)
- Web Designing (UI/UX) (147)
- E-commerce Development (8)
- Testing Services (2)
- IT Services (3)
- Big Data & BI (1)
- Cloud Computing Services (3)
- Digital Marketing (30)
- Other Services (4)
- Game Development (1)
- Bot Development (4)
- Blockchain Technology (10)
- AR & VR Development (5)
- IoT Development (1)
- Artificial Intelligence (2)
- Business Services (1)
- Writing Services (1)
- Translation Services (1)
- Robotic Process Automation (1)
- ERP Software (1)
- CRM Software (1)
- Shipping Software (1)
- SEO Software (1)
- Accounting Software (1)
- Simulation Software (1)
- Appointment Scheduling Software (1)
- Hotel Management Software (1)
- Shopping Cart Software (1)
- Screen Recording Software (1)
- SMS Marketing Software (1)
- CMMS Software (1)
- 8 Best Free and Open Source Inventory Management Software Systems
- 8 Best Free and Open Source School Administration software
- The Best 8 Free and Open Source Library Management Software Solutions
- Top 7 Free & Open Source Video Editing Software Systems
- Top 7 Free and Open Source Digital Signage Software Tools
- 7 Best Free and Open Source Project Management Software Solutions
- Top 7 Free and Open Source Help Desk Software Tools
- The Top 10 Free and Open Source Hospital Management Software