Big PixelDesign Infused Development
Big Pixel Overview
Big Pixel is a 100% US based strategic design and development firm that is uniquely built to use technology to solve business problems. We integrate design and development seamlessly as one team.
In most development firms, design is often done separately from development. Mockups and wireframes are made, approved, and then handed off to the developers to reference while coding. We have found that this results with an application that works very differently from what the designers intended. Left to their own devices even the best developers will get about 80% of the way there when that last 20% is often the most important.
Design-infused development keeps the client’s vision front and center throughout the project. As each deliverable is made, the designers work alongside the developers to keep the function, design and user experience all in alignment. It creates a feedback loop so that the application is built in a state of persistent analysis. Our teams scale to fit the needs of the application so that communication is streamlined and the most powerful strategies are implimented with great consistency.
This ethos of a holistic approach also positions us to consult on business process and development for tech start-ups and visionary ideas.
WE SPECIALIZE IN THREE AREAS:
- Taking over existing projects that need to modernize or just need a new team with new ideas.
- Helping businesses improve their processes through holistically-designed technology.
- Building, desiging, and advising startups in every stage.
- App Designing (UI/UX)
- Mobile App Development
- Web Development
- Software Development
- Business Services
- Web Designing (UI/UX)
- Medium Business($10M - $1B)
- Small Business(< $10M)
Big Pixel Reviews
Absolutely Outstanding Developer. Better People
I listened, took his advice and thanks to his insight the beta tests for LIVE! were successful.
Fast forward 2-1/2 years, and we have evolved into writing a major platform for the entertainment industry. Big Pixel has moved from writing a simple app to a massive, complex multi medium product. The scale-up has gone without a hitch, and we are on track for our release date.
All the development skills we need are being supplied by David seamlessly, and I am still getting what I value most...his unfettered opinion and determination to provide the best solution for our company.
No matter the size of your development needs, I could not recommend a better developer than Big Pixel.
If there was a six star rating I would give it to him.
What is it about the company that you appreciate the most?
Honesty, integrity, knowledge, scalability
What was it about the company that you didn't like which they should do better?
I have no complaints at all and that is the truth!
Flexible;Dependable development partners
Big pixel was able to integrate seamlessly with me and my existing development process to help extend and augment my existing development capabilities.
What is it about the company that you appreciate the most?
Flexible and willing work through problems
Big Pixel Executive Interview
Practically speaking, we build web and mobile apps for large and small organizations. Our passion is building systems that are beautiful, scalable, and, above all, usable.
I am David Baxter, Chief Pixel. I founded the company in 2013 as a one-man-band. Over the years, we have grown, and my role has changed from “do-it-all” to client management, sales, and team development.
Big Pixel was also created to combine my passion for design with my development background. This means that design is the cornerstone of what we do rather than an added service.
Also, over 90% of our projects are fixed fees rather than hourly. This goes back to our core value of transparency. When you bill it hourly, by default, that puts you and your client on an adversarial plane. They are never 100% sure if you are dragging your feet for those extra few hours. With a fixed fee, that is never an issue.
Almost all our clients come back to us for multiple phases. In fact, most of our current clients have been with us for over two years, and some we have had since we were founded.
We work with our clients to help them recognize what features a user will look for in a mobile app versus a web app. For instance, on an ecommerce site, a customer might browse and look around at a wide variety of goods; however, if the customer is visiting that same site on the phone they are most likely going to go right for the search functions, so they can find what they want and check out faster.
- Is it a popular framework? We do not want to be out on the bleeding edge, where it is tough for our clients to find developers in the “proverbial bus” scenario. It is important to stay current without “outrunning stack overflow”.
- Is it easy to build with? We prefer frameworks that provide a common structure rather than are completely open. For instance, React, and Angular apps often look fairly similar from one app to the next. This speeds up development time considerably.
- Is it around for the long term? Our clients need something that is solid, dependable, and maintainable over a long period of time. We want to make sure we are always building with platforms that will be well-maintained for the foreseeable future.
Our startup clients are usually more flexible with the framework we use. Often, we select React/Angular for the frontend with a Node JS API backend. This allows us to build a highly scalable and maintainable application that has wide developer support.
- Complexity: More screens mean more expensive. Recurring payments are more expensive than single payments. Mobile is more expensive than the web. Simply put, the more complicated the app is, the more it will cost.
- Design: Highly designed apps cost more than something from a template. All our apps are custom-designed, but if you have a lot of animation or slick transitions, this will add to the cost of the app.
- Scalability: We always build with scale in mind, but it is all about the target size. If you expect that 1,000 people will ever use your app, then we will build the architecture differently than someone who is aiming for millions of users.
- 60 hours of Development
- 20 hours of Project Management
- 20 hours of QA/Testing
- 10 hours of Architecture and Design
Big Pixel Clients & Portfolios
- RTI International
- Duke Law