The Top 8 Free and Open Source SMS Marketing Software
Almost everyone uses SMS (short message service) for sending personal and business-related messages using a mobile phone. All mobile phones support this messaging protocol and is offered by all mobile carriers and networks worldwide. These days SMS is highly used to promote products/services and send discount coupons & reminders to existing and prospective customers. The reasons behind using SMS for business promotional activities are -
SMS marketing requires sending messages in bulk. When it is about sending a single message, you can send it quickly even while standing in a queue for your coffee. But, sending a uniform message to a group of customers and ensuring profitable results out of it is a critical and time-consuming job. An efficient SMS marketing software can help you in sending bulk SMS in a single click and also track the results in terms of leads and conversions generated due to this marketing effort.
Below is a list of the top 8 free and open source SMS marketing software which you can deploy for your business and enhance your marketing efforts resulting in high conversions and profitability. But, before you go through this list, let’s understand the basic concepts of SMS marketing software, what are the benefits of using it, and how to select the best one that suits your business requirements.
What is SMS Marketing Software?
SMS marketing software is a tool which helps businesses in sending permission-based messages in bulk to the present and potential customers informing them about any promotional offers, discount coupons, new product launch, or marketing event. Not only that, it ensures that your messages are designed in the right manner, sent at the right time and to the right people, helping you to gain maximum conversions.
SMS marketing software is used for -
How Does SMS Marketing Software Work?
SMS marketing software allows you to -
Benefits of Using SMS Marketing Software
Who Can Benefit from Using SMS Marketing Software?
Almost all businesses benefit from using an SMS marketing software. Still, we have listed some of them who have benefitted the most out of sending bulk SMS using automated software.
After going through the comprehensive information about SMS marketing software, we understand that selecting the best that suits your business might be confusing and overwhelming. So, here we have listed some standard features which you need to look for while selecting the best SMS marketing software.
Features to Look for in an SMS Marketing Software
Seamless Bulk Messaging
The SMS marketing software you select should have an easy to use interface which allows you to send bulk text messages from PC to mobile and mobile to mobile. Wherever you are, sending bulk messages should be an easy and quick job with the help of SMS marketing software having the ability of sending bulk messages easily.
There are certain rules formed in all the countries to benefit the businesses and consumers. To adhere to those rules, it becomes necessary that your SMS marketing software should facilitate text to subscribe and unsubscribe easily.
SMS marketing software should allow sending auto-reply to the customers’ complaints or queries as that would assure them about quick resolution, and help you in providing a better customer experience.
Text Message Schedule
The SMS marketing software you choose should help you to schedule the text messages easily so that you can regulate repetitive messages and convey your message to your customers at the right time.
Your SMS marketing software should integrate with other tools easily. For example, if your SMS marketing software is integrated with CRM, you can automate sending birthday wishes to your customers easily.
This feature of an SMS marketing software allows you to send a series of messages to the subscribers at regular intervals. It helps in staying in touch with your recipients consistently.
The SMS marketing software synced with your email marketing tools can help at a great extent in communicating with your clients instantly. For example, if you have received an email from your customer, you can notify them about it through SMS promptly using auto-reply functionality.
The SMS marketing software should allow you to add the first & last names of your recipients to the message to give a personal touch to the texts which can increase the chances of the success of your SMS marketing campaign.
Platform and Device Friendly
The SMS marketing software you select should work on any platform or device so that you are able to operate it on the go and your SMS marketing campaign can continue without any interruptions.
One text message cannot fit all. The buyer's journey may vary, and there are also other criteria which you need to consider like age, gender, location, etc.before sending a text message. The SMS marketing software you select should allow you to segment contacts and send automated messages accordingly.
Importing List of Subscribers
The SMS marketing software you select should allow you to easily import the list of subscribers from your CRM, Excel spreadsheets, or from any other tool you are using at present. This would save your time and efforts required for manually entering the data.
Allowing Multiple Users
Are you working with a team? Your SMS marketing software should allow you to add users working on your SMS marketing campaign and assign specific permissions to them based on their roles.
Your subscribers are very important for you, and so is their information. The SMS marketing software you choose should have high-end security features so that your crucial data doesn’t get misused.
Now, when you know the features you need to look for in an SMS marketing software, the below list of the top 8 free and open source SMS marketing software can definitely help you in selecting the best one for your business.
The Top 8 Free and Open Source SMS Marketing Software
FrontlineSMS has been used by several universities, NGOs and charities since 2005 to interact with communities they required to reach out to. From American farmers to wheelchair users in Indonesia, this SMS marketing tool has helped in reaching out to people for several campaigns, collecting research and supporting people. It is a perfect combination of automation and logic helping in sending text messages on mobile phones with a single click.
- Can respond to SMS and missed calls automatically
- Allows you to add a contact to a group with a single missed call
- Allows easy subscription and unsubscription of the contacts
- Whenever SMS is received, it can send a customized email to the sender
- Saves details from incoming interactions to the sender’s record
- Can conduct polls and surveys for market research
- Can connect with another web service
- Allows sending SMS from a web service
- Can segment incoming messages into different folders based on the content
If you have already used FrontlineSMS, please feel free to share your reviews here.
Jasmin Gateway is an open source SMS marketing software with several enterprise-class features. It is built to be easily customized so that it can work as per the requirements of any business. It is based on strong message routing algorithms and facilitates to define rule-based routing depending on certain criteria like sender IP, source & destination, and many such combinations. This SMS marketing software works on auto reconnection and re-routing mechanism and thus is able to manage peak hours and link failover for high availability services.
It is written using Python, and Twisted framework and its web backend is written in Django, and so is able to provide advanced tools for managing and monitoring SMS broadcasts.
- Based on SMPP Client/Server & HTTP Client/Server
- Uses AMQP broker for store & forward mechanisms
- Provides flexible filling support
- Includes Web UI for management
- Can send multilingual SMS using Unicode (UTF-8/18)
- Can create and send specialized/binary SMS like mono ringtones, WAP Push, Vcards
- Can support long SMS content
- Supports advanced message routing like Simple & static, Roundrobin, Failover, Leastcost
- Allows advanced message filtering using EvalPyFilter
If you have already used Jasmine Gateway, please feel free to share your reviews here.
Kannel is an open source SMS marketing software working on WAP infrastructure and available to everyone for free. It is based on BSD-style license, and so it provides maximum freedom to the developers in terms of customization of the software. It is a fully-featured WAP (Wireless Application Protocol) gateway which is compatible with a maximum amount of bearers with special emphasis on SMSC compatibility.
- Can work as both pull and push gateway
- Can handle 7-bit, 8-bit, and Unicode data
- Can generate delivery reports
- Has the ability to manage hundreds of messages per second in average workstation
- Has the capability of sending operator logos, WAP SI messages, ringing tones, OTA configurations, etc.
- It supports SMS center protocols like CIMD 1.3, CIMD 2.0, SMPP 3.4, UCP/EMI 4.0. Also: SEMA SMS2000 OIS protocol for SMS centers over Radiopad and X.25.
- Uses GMS phones and GSM modems
- Can connect different HTTP based content gateways
- Works as an aggregator
If you have already used Kannel, please feel free to share your reviews here.
RapidSMS is a free and open source SMS marketing software which can rapidly build SMS (text messages) for group coordination, data collection, and streamlining complex workflows. It has been customized and deployed with different causes like supply chain tracking, nutrition surveillance, community discussion, remote health diagnostics, etc. It was designed for overcoming the challenges faced by the Government and non-government organizations like slow data collection, limited infrastructure, etc.
- Allows sending text messages and MMS to groups and masses
- Ability to manage subscribers
- Allows importing address book
- Can manage contacts
- Manages sender ID
- Provides excellent customer support
If you have already used RapidSMS, please feel free to share your reviews here.
XtraBulk is a PHP web application which can send bulk SMS to the groups. You can host this software on your server and seamlessly connect it into any SMS HTTP API. XtraBulk SMS is fast, reliable, and lightweight software which you can install on any Linux server without modifying any server-side settings and installations. It can even run on shared hosting.
- Allows 2-way SMS (users can reply directly to the SMS received)
- Allows you to create SMS keywords and define actions like subscribe, unsubscribe, send an email, forward message, etc.
- Can send bulk personalized SMS
- Includes user-friendly interface
- Allows you to create unlimited contact groups
- Allows importing unlimited contacts from CSV and TXT files
- Includes queue sending system with start/pause option
- Has the ability to send long SMS which is more than 160 characters for English and 70 characters for Unicode
- Provides detailed reporting system which can be exported in CSV, XLS, and XML format
- Can integrate 8 payment gateways, including Paypal, Stripe, Skril, etc.
If you have already used XtraBulk, please feel free to share your reviews here.
SlickText is powerful and easy to use SMS marketing software rich with features and works perfectly on all your devices. It includes a free mobile app so that you can manage your SMS marketing campaigns on the go and ensure the growth and profitability of your business. Allows up to 50 free texts in a month, and so is suitable for small businesses requiring to test before investing in an SMS marketing software.
- Allows sending mass text messages
- Permission-based messaging system
- Helps in scheduling text messaging
- Allows sending MMS
- Allows 2-way text messaging
- Enables sending repetitive messages
- Includes automated features that allow sending messages at regular time intervals
- Can integrate with email marketing services like MailChimp, ActiveCampaign, etc.
- Allows sending messages more than 160 characters
- Provides detailed analytical reports
If you have already used SlickText, please feel free to share your reviews here.
EZTexting is an SMS marketing software which is extremely easy to use, providing best customer service, security, quality, reliability, and performance. It works on permission-based SMS marketing technique, and so your text messages are never considered as spam. Using this software, you can monitor your customers' engagement and watch your sales grow. As it is free for 14 days, you can test it and then deploy for your business.
- Helps in acquiring contacts by sending shortcode messages
- Engages the audience by sending reminders, and notifications at regular intervals
- Allows conduction polls and contests
- Can integrate with third-party tools to provide excellent functionality
- Allows scheduling and recurring messages
- Enables sending personalized messages
- Excellent tracking and reporting system
If you have already used EZTexting, please feel free to share your reviews here.
#8 TXT 180
TXT 180 is an SMS marketing software which allows you to send bulk SMS easily and reach out to your customer base easily. Using this software, you can manage your SMS marketing software seamlessly from anywhere and everywhere. It has easy to use control panel, which allows you to view the details of your multiple SMS marketing campaigns running at a glance. Available with a 15-day trial period, you can use this software and decide whether it suits your business or not before investing in it.
- Includes auto-responding to the messages sent by your recipients
- Allows 2-way messaging
- Can schedule messages, and send repetitive messages
- Allows scheduling series of messages to be sent at regular intervals
- Includes message templates allowing you to design a text message that works
- Includes group service allowing your opt-ins to join various groups
- Helps in generating QR codes
- Allows importing contacts
- Can include an unlimited number of subscribers
- Provides live graph reporting
If you have already used TXT180, please feel free to share your reviews here.
Now, this was the list of the top 8 free and open source SMS marketing software, which you can consider deploying for your business. Still, if you are confused about which one to choose, the below comparison chart presenting the features of these SMS marketing tools at a glance can help you in taking the right decision.
The Top 8 Free and Open Source SMS Marketing Software Comparison Chart
Are you looking for advanced features in your SMS marketing software, not present in these free and open source solutions? If yes, we can suggest you consider one of the most popular SMS marketing software - Bitrix24. So, let's look at the details of Bitrix24 below -
Bitrix24 is a software that can support the complete sales cycle, starting from generating leads to conversions. It facilitates SMS marketing for Viber, Facebook Messenger, Telegram, Instagram, etc. It is a cloud-based software providing access to its full source code. Besides that, it also has email marketing and telemarketing capabilities. Besides automating your SMS, you can use this software for managing your entire CRM, capture leads, nurture those leads, and automate your entire sales process. So, if you are looking for a 360-degree software for conducting successful marketing campaigns, Bitrix24 can be the right choice for you.
This software being a collaboration platform, includes many tools used for different sales activities in a business. Here, we have listed SMS marketing features provided by Bitrix24.
- Can send text messages to a group at the same time
- Allows scheduling text messages
- Can send MMS and picture messages
- Allows sending a series of messages at regular intervals
- Allows sending repetitive messages
- Can integrate with email
- Allows you to manage subscribers and contacts easily
- Can send SMS to unlimited groups
- Allows configurable auto-reply
- Provides detailed reports and the ability to analyze
If you have already used Bitrix24, please feel free to share your reviews here.
Almost everyone has a mobile phone, and SMS works well with the most basic model of a cell phone to the most advanced Smartphone. This itself makes SMS marketing the most powerful mode of reaching out to your target audience. Sending messages to the masses at the same time manually is just next to impossible, and so the businesses lookout for a well-featured SMS marketing software which can help in sending their text messages to their subscribers without any errors.
We hope that the list of these 8 free and open source SMS marketing software and one popular one has helped you in selecting the one suiting to your business at a great extent. But, if you are still confused and didn’t find one as per your requirements in the list mentioned-above, you can consider looking into the details of freemium and paid SMS marketing software like Respond Flow, TextMagic, Tatango, Simple Texting, TextMarks, Mozeo, JA.TXT, MOBIT, and SendSMS.
Also, you can go through the comprehensive list of SMS marketing software which can help you make the right decision.
Are you looking for other software used for other business sectors as well? Just browse all software categories and stay tuned as we keep on updating emerging software on a regular basis.
If you have used any of the SMS marketing software mentioned above, please leave your valuable feedback here.
Today, customers visit websites to check the authenticity of businesses, to buy products, to seek information, to be a part of any community, to watch videos for knowledg ... Read more