The Top 9 Free and Open Source Contact Management Software
Improper contact management results in declining sales, and everyone knows how risky it is for business health. We are in an age when there is a lot of competition, and attention lifespan is reducing. In such a situation, if we don't pass the information quickly to our customers, we lose them forever. In the current business scenario, the inevitable fact is that contact management cannot be done using spreadsheets. Managing contacts in a systematic manner is a highly significant task to ensure a successful sales process in an organization.
Imagine spending a lot of money on getting an email marketing campaign designed, but what if you don't have the list of the right email recipients on hand? In this case, your email campaign might get delayed, or the wrong audience gets targeted. Failing marketing efforts can result in no returns on investment.
The right contact management software can help in resolving this issue, as it works as a centralized hub for the contact information of your customers, suppliers, leads, prospects, etc. Moreover, it can help you in selecting the target audience based on your offerings. Besides that, you can track your sales, schedule appointments and meetings, manage leads, generate performance reports, and many more tasks that can help you in enhancing your customer acquisition and retention.
Here, we have listed some of the best free and open source contact management software which you can consider executing for your business. But, before you go through the details of these software, let us understand the basics of contact management software, its purpose, and the features to look for while selecting one.
What is Contact Management Software?
Contact management software is a tool that can manage your sales and marketing workflow efficiently, resulting in high conversions. It is a database that includes names and complete contact information like addresses, emails, of your customers, and prospects. It also gives you clear visibility over communication logs, and important follow-up dates to ensure high-end effectiveness of your marketing efforts. It helps you to ensure that you don't miss out on any of your sales opportunities by making sure that all the information relating to your customers and communication is done with them is at your fingertips.
Contact Management Software Users
Benefits of Using Contact Management Software
Are you tired of missing sales opportunities just because of targeting the wrong audience or negligence in follow-ups? A contact management software can rescue.Besides that, it can be beneficial for your business in the following ways -
The benefits of contact management software almost depict why most of the companies these days use contact management software. Still, let us have a look at what if you don’t use a contact management software -
Now, when you know how a contact management software benefits a business, let us have a look at what features to look for before selecting one so that you can make the most out of it.
Features to Look for in a Contact Management Software
Ability to Integrate
The contact management software you choose should have the ability to integrate with your other business applications like a mail client, accounting, and billing software, which can save your costs involved with investing in different software.
You should be able to customize the contact management software depending on your business requirements, like adding new fields and records to the systems that can help in getting tasks exactly the way you want them to be done.
Your sales team should be able to schedule their appointments from the contact management software itself and send emails to the contacts referring to their upcoming appointments. This will ease their job and avoid missing appointments with important leads and prospects.
The contact management software you select should allow you to export information from spreadsheets or any other software you are using. This will eliminate the manual data entry of the contact details.
You should be able to generate insightful reports showing you the clear picture of the leads, conversions, etc., helping you to launch automation processes for the future, which can benefit the organization's profitability.
With a clarity of the features to look for in your contact management software, let us move to the information about the top 9 free and open source contact management software, as that will help you in selecting the one that best fits your business.
The Top 9 Free and Open Source Contact Management Software
#1 Espo CRM
Espo CRM is an open source web application that helps in viewing, entering, and evaluating all the contacts associated with your organization. Whether it is about people, companies, projects, or opportunities, everything can be managed from a single, easy to use platform. More than 50,000 companies in 163 countries are using Espo CRM. Its open source CRM is free to use, and there are no limitations on database size.
- Fully customizable, and so can suit any business type
- Includes BPM and Workflow toolsets allowing companies to automate their business processes and operations
- Includes CRM’s security features and thus is high-end secure allowing you to protect your customers’ data easily
- Helps you in monitoring your sales performance with its reporting and analytics feature
- Easy to use dashboard, which allows you to view complete information at a glance
- Allows you to organize appointments and enhance productivity
- Helps in organizing and tracking customers’ emails from one place
- Includes activity stream allowing users to view the list of activities performed
- Enables you to leverage the highest level of support to your customers
- Keeps marketing campaigns and database organized
If you have already used Espo CRM, please feel free to share your reviews here.
Zurmo is an open source CRM application that is a perfect blend of marketing automation, sales software, and project management tool. It is a gamified solution helping users to turn their work to play. It is extremely user-friendly and requires no training. Having a modern and fresh interface, it converts even the boring sales and marketing tasks into interesting ones. This helps users to adapt this software easily and motivates high productivity and data security in an organization.
- Provides a full view of contact details
- Manages meetings, appointment scheduling, tasks, notes, etc., from one place
- Can track sales pipeline and manage opportunities
- Includes drag and drop feature to manage workflows
- Ability to create, schedule and send email marketing campaigns
- Can create and manage product catalogs
- Can customize fields, layouts, labels, dashboards, etc.
- Can integrate with Restful API, Google Maps, Email, etc
- Android and iOS platform friendly
If you have already used Zurmo, please feel free to share your reviews here.
CiviCRM is an open source relationship management software, also used as a CRM. It can be used independently or can also be integrated into Drupal, WordPress, Joomla, or Backdrop. It is primarily used by nonprofits and organizations to manage the contact information of the leads, customers, prospects, suppliers, or anyone associated. Thousands of people around the world support this software as it is fully customizable and expandable.
- Stores contact details at one easily accessible place
- Open Source license allows customization and configuration as per your business requirements
- Users can manage their membership easily on their own
- Can integrate with your accounting software
- Allows creating, and managing case workflows
- Includes tools required to manage events
- Can create and manage bulk email lists, and monitor statistics
- Includes 40 different reports and allows creating custom reports to evaluate the performance of the organization
If you have already used CiviCRM, please feel free to share your reviews here.
SuiteCRM is one of the best open source CRM used by millions of people every day. It is considered as highly powerful, customizable, and user-friendly, including hundreds of extensions and integrations. It is extremely rich in features and provides the freedom and flexibility of open source at substantially lower costs, and so is considered as a wonderful alternative to Salesforce. You can build relationships and boost sales with the help of this extremely easy-to-use software and grow your business.
- Plays the role of a central vault of all your customer data
- Provides freedom to customize and configure as per your business requirements
- Can integrate with REST API, and CRM with core business systems resulting in increased productivity
- Its Open Source model includes a vibrant community that can provide constant improvements, documents, and testing abilities
If you have already used SuiteCRM, please feel free to share your reviews here.
Feat Systems CRX is a powerful open source contact management solution that helps you in tracking your leads and opportunities seamlessly. It has a clean and well-structured interface providing visual information about everything you need to know about your organization. Whether it is a customer's message or list of the sales activities conducted for a particular campaign, Feat Systems CRX keeps you on top of all. It is a final destination providing information about your opportunities and expected revenues.
- Can create and manage leads from the emails received
- Helps in organizing opportunities in a systematic manner
- Can integrate with email accounts and automate email marketing campaigns
- Can integrate with social networking platforms
- Provides a list of activities pending and accomplished in a visual form
If you have already used FeatCRM, please feel free to share your reviews here.
#6 Odoo CRM
Odoo CRM is a free and open source ERP and CRM software and an all-in-one solution for a plethora of tasks in an organization referring to sales, marketing, and operations. It helps in tracking leads, closing opportunities, and accessing accurate forecasts to make better decisions for the future. Get to know the performance of the organization, referring to monthly targets, and systematically organize your work to achieve desired goals.
- Includes an intuitive dashboard providing a better overview of the sales activities
- Allows importing leads from other tools
- Automates sending emails personalized as per the lead segment and activities
- Helps in organizing activities for each opportunity
- Allows tracking, logging and analyzing the activities of the team
- Provides 360-degree visibility over leads and opportunities management
- Can manage and share address book of the customers
- Allows creating email templates to ease the job
- Analyze opportunities, sales, and marketing activities with the help of reports generated
If you have already used Odoo CRM, please feel free to share your reviews here.
#7 Vtiger CRM
Vtiger is a unified CRM that improves coordination between marketing, sales & support teams to provide comprehensive information about your customers. It is an all-in-one integrated solution that helps companies in delivering outstanding customer experiences by streamlining all the tasks relating to leads and opportunities management. Basically, it provides everything that you need to increase your sales and manage your team.
- Manages your sales team’s pipelines effortlessly
- Helps in scheduling appointments
- Allows one-click emailing and calling
- Easily share documents within the team
- Build and send quotes and convert them into invoices
- Analyze sales team performance and design future strategies accordingly
If you have already used Vtiger CRM, please feel free to share your reviews here.
OroCRM is an Open Source CRM software that is flexible enough to address any business workflow or requirement. It is well known for optimizing conversions, helping in growing sales and improving customer satisfaction. It also enables you to track the leads converting to opportunities and opportunities converting to the customers. It provides an entire overview of the customer journey resulting to outstanding customer experience.
- Provides complete control over managing accounts and contacts
- Helps in capturing and nurturing prospects and converting them into customers
- Provides a complete view of the customer details including product views, email conversations, etc
- Includes dashboard displaying sales and marketing performance
- Includes powerful reporting engine that provides complete insights into your business
- Can integrate with 3rd-party platforms
- Includes workflow and productivity tools for all types of businesses
- Helps you in analyzing your top customers, how frequently they buy, and how much they spend
If you have already used OroCRM, please feel free to share your reviews here.
Zoho ContactManager is a versatile contact management software that helps you in organizing contacts, tasks, and deals in one place. Using this software, you can maintain the address book of your customers from a centralized location accessed by your team members, making the task of communication and collaboration easier. Moreover, you can track your deals, organize your to-do tasks most efficiently and accurately.
- Allows you to access your business contacts at your fingertips
- Helps in managing your tasks and deals efficiently
- Enables you to categorize your contacts and tasks
- Includes email templates helping you to send emails quickly
- Provides intelligent search facility that helps you to search your contacts easily
- Can integrate with social networking platforms
- Includes web-to-contact form which helps you in converting your website visitors into customers
If you have already used Zoho Contact Manager, please feel free to share your reviews here.
Above-mentioned were the brief details about the top 9 free and open source contact management software. If you are still confused about which one is the best from the above-mentioned list, you can go through the below chart, that will help you to compare their features at a glance.
The Top 9 Free and Open Source Contact Management Software Comparison Chart
Are you looking for some advanced features in the contact management software not available in these free ones? We would recommend you to go through one of the most popular contact management software - Funnel CRM - a user-friendly and cloud-based Sales CRM solution having versatile contact management features that can help businesses by eliminating all the pains relating to managing contacts manually.
Funnel CRM is a versatile CRM software that helps in tracking leads and managing follow-ups. It is given due consideration as one of the most popular software that helps in streamlining contact management. It never lets you miss closing a deal and losing track of the customers. At each level of the buyer journey, it helps you to be as efficient as possible with your sales process.
- Captures customer information automatically and creates a dedicated workspace outside the email inbox
- Helps in creating and embedding a contact form on your website
- Can categorize emails based on the customer preferences and journey
- Maintains your customer database efficiently
- Can integrate with Gmail account
- Includes professional templates helping to send effective proposals to the customers
- Helps you in organizing in managing, and prioritize tasks and activities
Contact management software is an extremely useful tool for securely storing customer information and communicating with them effectively. But, with so many options available, it might be overwhelming to select one. We hope this article has helped you in choosing the contact management software to a great extent.
To widen your choice, we would also recommend you to go through some freemium and paid contact management software like Capsule CRM, LiveVox, SalesBabu, Officeclip, Freeagent, Sumac, Hyperoffice, Blitz, and Pobuca Connect. These contact management solutions may require investment but can prove to be worth the investment in the long run.
Also, you can go through the complete list of contact management software curated by the GoodFirms team.
If you have used any of the contact management software above, please leave your valuable feedback here.
Browse all software categories, if you are looking for software used for other facets in your organization, and stay tuned for regular updates.
Risk management has become an important challenge for companies. Most organizations struggle to assess and control the risk, especially when the risk factor is pretty unc ... Read more