Best File Sharing Software
Explore the best File Sharing Software that lets you share, and receive files easily & securely.
In recent days, the vast majority of companies allow their employees to share and access files, work documents, enterprise-approved and third-party apps for faster and more efficient business processes. But, this easy access and collaboration often come with security threats. The best recommendation for organizations looking to safeguard their data, and share files securely, is to invest in the top File sharing software. The software offers easy and safe sharing of files to any number of people at any time and anywhere. Top file sharing tools also provide additional benefits such as unlimited file storage, easy collaboration, extensive file tracking, and more.
What is a File Sharing Software?
A file sharing software is an application suite that allows you to send and receive files of any size and format on any platform that is fully equipped with essential file sharing tools and high-end security measures. It comes with features such as file sharing, transfer acceleration, version control, preview, unlimited storage, delivery tracking, reporting, security, and many more. It makes the organization's capable of reliably sending large volumes of data over global distances.
Why Do You Need a File Sharing System?
File sharing is a ubiquitous process of an organization's daily operations. Therefore, file sharing systems are indispensable for modern enterprises. File sharing solutions are required for powering enterprises to share files of any type and size with blazing transfer speeds and enabling employees, particularly the remote workforce, to collaborate without hassle. It drives simplicity, functionality, and uniformity in the way organizations share data files and provides the most efficient and cost-effective method of sharing files. It also lets companies manage the shared file data, meta content, and analytics and makes their file sharing mechanism resilient towards cyber-attacks.
How to Select the Best File Sharing Software for Your Business?
Evaluating enterprise file sharing software options require consideration of certain critical factors, pain points, objectives, and challenges associated with the file sharing workflows and the required software solutions. GoodFirms helps you objectively gauge competing file sharing software vendors to find the best one for your business. The authentic listing of the most-promising file sharing tools by GoodFirms experienced research team consists of tools that can drastically improve your file sharing mechanism and processes. Check out the latest reviews, features, prices, and ratings of the best file sharing software to select the top one for your organization.
Best File Sharing System | Best File Sharing Software Lists (127 Software)
- Securely manage, share and access your content from anywhere.
Easily work with anyone when all of your files — notes, documents, presentations, videos and more — are securely editable in the cloud. Invite anyone to collaborate, join in the conversation or just have access to the right files at the right time. Change permissions at any time, keeping your information secure. And with everything in one place, you'll never lose another file or ever have to d... learn more about Box"Box is highly recommended"Brady Patterson, Success Road Academy at Chief Operations OfficerVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial14 daysEntry Level Price$5.77 per Month
- A safe place for all your files
File sharing platform that allows users to store and share contacts, photos, videos, presentations, recordings and more. Cloud-based file storage platform that enables businesses of all sizes to store and share contacts, photos, videos, spreadsheets, presentations and more. ... learn more about Google Drive"Google Drive Review"Akhilesh Arya
- Your workflows, structured & smarter.
Podio is a collaboration software & project management tool that helps teams communicate and organize things to facilitate the completion of tasks and projects. It does this through a system that puts content, context, and conversations in one place. So whether you’re working on a project or following up and closing a sales lead, you get everything related to the job on one page, making for easi... learn more about Podio"Podio is a great saas based tool"Jayraj Berde, Senior Business Process Manager at Webware
- Work better, safer, together.
Dropbox Business simplifies your work, with a central place to access and share files. Keep all your files securely stored, up to date, and accessible from any device. Quickly send any file—big or small—to anyone, even if they don’t have a Dropbox account. Keep your files private with multiple layers of protection from the service trusted by millions. Manage tasks, track file updates, and st... learn more about Dropbox Business"Great tool for nearly all applications "Heather NeisenVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial30 daysEntry Level Price$12.50 per Month
- Work gets better on the same page.
Samepage transforms the way business teams work together.Imagine all your team’s files, tasks, conversations and shared content in one place. Create a page in minutes, then connect and collaborate instantly. No exaggeration.Easy to create. Easy to use. Easy to succeed.Samepage makes it easy to get more done – efficiently and effectively. Built-in file sharing and sync mean your content travels... learn more about Samepage"Provides all the features that small business needs"Werner Jorgensen, Marketing & Sales Manager at HeatxpertsVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial30 daysEntry Level Price$7.50 per Month
- Agile Scrum, Projects, Kanban, Notes and File Sharing.
Stop worrying about your projects... Get them under control with SAM9000 SAM9000 is different because you can seamlessly manage multiple Scrum teams, products and Agile projects, at the same time, in one App. Use simple smart and powerful lists, or our multi-level Kanban. Work on multiple Agile projects in parallel, easily with Scrum, Scrumban or Lean. Keep notes, documents and files... learn more about SAM9000"a simple approach to fast paced project tracking"Taylor AndersonVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial30 daysEntry Level Price$29 per Month
- Sharing Files Of Any Size With UDP Speed
Filemail is a cloud-based storage and file sharing platform that has been running since 2008. They are based in Oslo, Norway. They have a number of accounts which can be used to transfer files. The free option permits you to send a file of up to 50 GB without the need to register. Paid accounts can send a file of any size. Pro account, is their package for individual users, which features 1 TB... learn more about Filemail"Love Filemail"Walt NystromVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial7 daysEntry Level PriceContact Vendor
- The online collaborative whiteboarding platform to bring teams together, anytime, anywhere.
Miro is the most intuitive visual collaboration and whiteboarding platform for cross-functional teams. It takes great teams working together to build outstanding things. Miro enables you to engage all your collocated, distributed, or remote teams across formats, tools, channels, and time zones, without the constraints of physical location, meeting space, and whiteboards.... learn more about Miro"Happy with what we have"Ryan Hyslop, Co-Founder at We Make Waves
- Send Large Files Quickly and Easily
Binfer makes large file sharing easy. There are no file types, file size or file quantity restrictions, and we don’t use the cloud. So, whether a creative agency has to send large files to clients, or a law firm needs to transfer sensitive documents to China, you can move data directly from sender to recipient with no fuss.... learn more about Binfer"Didn’t work and no refunds allowed by difficult support team "Christian Simpson
- Your personal file manager
Store, share and manage all your files on the cloud. From documents to images, spreadsheets to presentations, and even your music, movies, and pictures carry all your files with you wherever you go. With everything stored in a centralized location, now you can conveniently share your files with your friends and colleagues. ... learn more about Zoho Docs
- Keep your ideas moving.
Hightail is designed to address the unique creative collaboration challenges faced by marketing professionals and the creative teams they work with. It allows for easy sharing of all creative file types and provides an intuitive way to share, discuss, improve and approve ideas via a flexible user experience that adapts to individual team and project needs. ... learn more about Hightail
- A free LAN file sharing software.
The goal is to easily exchange a large amount of data in a local area network environment like a LAN-Party. After you launched D-LAN, you will see all other people and their sharing automatically without special configuration. See the features list for more information.... learn more about D-LAN
- Beautifully obvious tools to bring your ideas to life.
WeTransfer was founded in 2009 as the simplest way to send big files around the world. Today we’re a set of beautifully obvious tools that bring your ideas to life. It is one of the simplest ways to transfer files online and its free version does not even require users to register.... learn more about WeTransfer
- Content Collaboration. Data Protection. Infrastructure Modernization.
We take enterprise file sharing to a whole new level. Our content services platform allows teams to work however they want, wherever they are, with a seamless, collaborative workflow. Experience powerful, compliant, a collaboration that’s built for business and designed for people.... learn more about EgnyteVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial15 daysEntry Level Price$8 per Month
- A free, secure and user friendly file sharing software.
ProjectSend is a self-hosted application (you can install it easily on your own VPS or shared web hosting account) that lets you upload files and assign them to specific clients that you create yourself! Secure, private and easy. No more depending on external services or e-mail to send those files!... learn more about ProjectSend
- Transforming the digital workplace.
Syncplicity is easy-to-use, enterprise-grade file sync and share solution that is redefining files for the mobile workforce. We give users access to all their files—no matter where they reside— on all their devices, online or offline, with no hassles. With a rich and secure mobile, web and desktop experience, our customers get to collaborate inside and outside their organization easily, while ... learn more about Syncplicity
- On Premises File Sharing Done Right.
Modern file management platform built according to your business needs and regulations, Pydio is open-source software deployed on your servers or wherever you decide.... learn more about Pydio Cells
- The free FTP solution
FileZilla Client is a fast and reliable cross-platform FTP, FTPS and SFTP client with lots of useful features and an intuitive graphical user interface.Aimed at professional users, FileZilla Pro adds support for cloud storage protocols. ... learn more about FileZilla
- the other way to share your files
You can use HFS (HTTP File Server) to send and receive files.It's different from classic file sharing because it uses web technology to be more compatible with today's Internet.It also differs from classic web servers because.It's very easy to use and runs "right out-of-the box".... learn more about HFS
- Arbore is a free and open-source file sharing application
Arbore is a free and open-source file sharing application that enables you to send your pictures, documents, files to your contacts privately and without limits. Your identity is simply a name or pseudonym. You can also add an avatar and a biography. You can have as many identity as you want. ... learn more about Arbore
- Unlimited Free Downloads, Fast!
Ares.net is the official Ares website of the ONLY working version of Ares – the revolutionary P2P file-sharing platform that lets you download unlimited free music, games, software and more. In addition to being a secure platform that ensures adware and malware–free downloads with 24/7 available technical support.... learn more about Ares Galaxy
- Limewire's Built-in Media Player
LimeWire is the world's most popular and most downloaded, free peer-to-peer file-sharing program. With over 100 million unique monthly users, the Limewire software program is downloaded hundreds of thousands of times each and every day and it also boasts several million active users at any given moment.... learn more about Limewire
- StrongDC++ is a client for sharing files in Direct Connect network
StrongDC++ is a client for sharing files in Direct Connect network by using NMDC and ADC protocols. It is modification of program DC++ and it brings many news and features from other modification. Since DC++ is developed under GNU/GPL, you can download source and modify it. ... learn more about StrongDC++
- The last cloud collaboration file sharing platform
ownCloud is the market-leading open-source software for cloud-based collaboration platforms. As an alternative to Dropbox, OneDrive and Google Drive, ownCloud offers real data security and privacy for you and your data. Store your files in one central location – protected from unauthorized access. Many features designed for absolute data security help you to work productively and securely. ... learn more about OwnCloud
- Protecting your data
Nextcloud offers offers the quickest and most seamless solutions to the combined need of security and ubiquitous access to data and collaboration technology. Our unique, on-premise solutions enable enterprises to regain control over their data and maintain compliance with regulations like GDPR and HIPAA.... learn more about NextCloud
- Share, Manage, Analyse and Communicate with your business anytime anywhere.
SMAC Cloud is a secure cloud storage solution, which lets you store, access, share, comment, like and backup all of your data in one convenient and secure location. SMAC Cloud was founded on a simple idea to allow a secure and easy way to manage any data from anywhere! With SMAC Cloud you can securely store your files, documents, photos, videos, events, audios and other information. Share all your... learn more about SMAC Cloud
- Reliable, multilingual, and free solution to distribute their content in the cloud
Cyberduck is a libre server and cloud storage browser for Mac and Windows with support for FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, Amazon S3, OpenStack Swift, Backblaze B2, Microsoft Azure & OneDrive, Google Drive and Dropbox. With an easy to use interface, connect to servers, enterprise file sharing, and cloud storage. You can find connection profiles for popular hosting service providers.... learn more about Cyberduck
- Reliable and Performant File Sync and Share Solution
Seafile is an open-source file sync&share solution designed for high reliability, performance, and productivity. Sync, share and collaborate across devices and teams. Build your team's knowledge base with Seafile's built-in Wiki feature.... learn more about Seafile
- Intelligent Board Management & Meeting Software
OnBoard is a board intelligence platform that simplifies board meeting management and empowers more informed decision-making, more secure remote meetings, and real-time accessibility from any device. Now more than ever, you need board & leadership meeting management that's comprehensive, secure, agile, and simple to use. Streamline meeting preparation & provide your leaders with accurate time... learn more about OnBoardVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial30 daysEntry Level PriceContact Vendor
- Simple, efficient and fulfilling teamwork!
Wimi is a project management tool that helps you stay organized and make teamwork more efficient. Wimi goes beyond typical PM software by enabling teams to track everything they're working on. With messaging channels, files & drive, tasks, calendars and video conferencing, Wimi lets your entire team collaborate effortlessly and work smarter on projects. Thanks to Wimi refined access-right manageme... learn more about WimiVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial14 daysEntry Level Price$15 per Month
- Your Practice Made Perfect
ImagineTime empowers teams to manage work, share tasks, track time & due dates, and generate insightful reports. ImagineTime is a fully integrated Practice Management software suite for Accounting Professionals and other professional service providers. Our client portal makes delivering a seamless client experience a breeze so you can focus on top-notch services.... learn more about ImagineTimeVISIT WEBSITEFree TrialN/AEntry Level Price$25 per Month
- “ALL IN ONE” BUSINESS SOFTWARE SOLUTION
More than just Client Portal Software, SuiteDash is a fully integrated cloud-based platform that will completely satisfy the software needs of most small to medium sized businesses. Unfortunately, many business owners have become incredibly frustrated with software because they've spent far too much time & money trying to learn multiple systems, and then get those multiple systems to work together... learn more about SuiteDashVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial14 daysEntry Level Price$19 per Month
- Teamwork reimagined.
Hibox is an out-of-the-box solution to handle the three most critical pain points in collaborating with your team: 1) faster communication (team messaging), 2) keep track of your projects (task management) and 3) live discussions for remote work or separate offices (video calls). Hibox takes task management a step further through Artificial Intelligence that applies Machine Learning to recognize ... learn more about HiboxVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial14 daysEntry Level Price$4 per Month
- WIRELESSLY SHARE CONTENT FROM ANY DEVICE.
AirParrot allows you to wirelessly beam your screen or media files to a variety of media receivers. AirParrot quickly discovers available receivers on your network and uses Quick Connect to connect directly to a device running Reflector 2. Easily share your screen, videos, audio, presentations and so much more.... learn more about AirParrotVISIT WEBSITEFree TrialN/AEntry Level Price$12.99 per One-time
- First secure remote data access and collaboration platform for Hybrid IT
FileFlex Enterprise is the world’s first remote data access, sharing and collaboration solution designed from the ground up to be zero trust compliant. FileFlex Enterprise provides unified access across on-premises and multi-cloud storage solutions for a secure hybrid-IT data access, sharing and collaboration solution. It is an on-premise service that provides cloud storage functionality, applie... learn more about FileFlexVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial30 daysEntry Level Price$9.95 per Month
- EXCHANGE FILES, SECURELY AND EASILY
DocRAID is the pioneer in CloudRAID technology, 100% zero-knowledge backup and file sync, secure file exchange, and easy to use email encryption. Off-Premise in our data centers or on-premise (self-hosted) in your data center.... learn more about DocRAIDVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial30 daysEntry Level Price$10 per Month
- Presentation management is communication strategy
Your presentations, files, and other content accrue over time with people across your enterprise producing new collateral daily. Does the path of least resistance often involve creating new assets to avoid sifting through mounds of old content? It’s time to improve your content flow and communication strategy with Shufflrr, the leader in presentation management.... learn more about ShufflrrVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial30 daysEntry Level Price$15 per Month
- secure cloud solution
Thanks to Security & Privacy by Design , TeamDrive meets the highest requirements for data protection and data security. Full end-to-end encryption guarantees perfect protection against data misuse and ransomware. TeamDrive is easy to use, making it the ideal platform for everyone for exchanging data within the team and between companies, both in the Cloud and on your own servers (onPremise). Team... learn more about TeamDriveVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial30 daysEntry Level Price$64.35 per Year
- The professional's tool to backup, synchronize, and restore data files.
SyncBackPro, the professional's tool to backup, synchronize, and restore data files. SyncBackPro for Windows is used by individuals, small businesses, and mission critical organizations throughout the world including law enforcement agencies, hospitals, and government departments.... learn more about SyncbackproVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial30 daysEntry Level Price$68.72 per One-time
- Managed File Transfer Software
MOVEit Managed File Transfer (MFT) software is used by thousands of organizations around the world to provide complete visibility and control over file transfer activities. Assure the reliability of core business processes and the secure and compliant transfer of sensitive data between partners, customers, users and systems with MOVEit.... learn more about MOVEitVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial30 daysEntry Level PriceContact Vendor
- Connect everyone in your organization
Workplace connects everyone in an organization using familiar Facebook features like chat, video calling, posts and groups. It works alongside the business tools you already use, providing a simple and secure way for people to share knowledge, work together and build connected communities.... learn more about Workplace From Facebook
- Secure and limitless communication for your company
pimentaCHAT is a unified collaboration and communication (UCC) tool for companies, universities, associations and churches. Get a solution that completely organizes your communication and that of your team. Make a video or audio call to more than 50 people at the same time! pimentaCHAT connects conventional phone calls, with audio or video calls via the internet on your smartphone or on your web b... learn more about pimentaCHAT
- Your entire workflow, in your Inbox
Stop switching between Email, Chats, Notes, Tasks, Calendar and Video Calls—get it all in one powerful Inbox. Meet Spike, the world’s first conversational email. We’re upgrading the way you work, saving you and your team time, sanity, and a lot of headaches. Spike bring all of your communication -- your emails, chats, calls, team collaborations, tasks, voice notes, everything -- to one place... learn more about Spike
- Providing the most efficient document management system.
StratusDrive was designed for the AEC industry, delivering a robust solution for those working in a diverse ecosystem with many types of documents. With the StratusDrive service on your PC, design, coordination and progress documentation work directly with the cloud. It behaves just like a local drive, always ensuring access to the most current document. StratusDrive provides the necessary tools n... learn more about Stratus Drive
- Automated Workflow for Your Entire Product Lifecycle
The Total Workflow Solution is a cloud-based solution that assists Enterprise teams - from Creative Services to Package Production - get products to market faster. We deliver an automated workflow for the entire lifecycle - from project request, team communication, electronic routing approval, and file release, through archival and asset reuse. We can even help with storing key product related inf... learn more about Total Workflow Solution
- HOW NOMADESK WORKS...
Nomadesk is the only cloud file sharing and synchronization service with an exclusive channel sales strategy. We acknowledge the added value of the managed service provider to reach and help business customers.... learn more about Nomadesk
- Introduction to the Buyer’s Guide for File Sharing Software
- Key Terminology Associated with File Sharing
- What Challenges do Businesses Face during File sharing?
- What is a File Sharing System?
- How Does a File Sharing Software Work?
- What are the Various Types of File Sharing Methods and Technologies?
- What Are the Benefits of File Sharing Software?
- Who Can Use the File Sharing Software?
- What Are the Risks Associated With File Sharing?
- Factors to Consider Before Investing in File Sharing Software?
- What Are the Time-saving Features of File Sharing Software?
- What is the Average Cost of File Sharing Software?
- Why Refer to GoodFirms List of File Sharing Software?
Introduction to the Buyer’s Guide for File Sharing Software
File sharing is a basic requirement in collaborative workspaces. It is also pervasive for maintaining business relationships and providing various services to customers. Businesses even share files with suppliers, vendors, regulatory bodies, stakeholders, etc. The use of high-end technologies and sophisticated applications has led to an increase in the number and size of files created every day. Therefore, organizations need optimal solutions and rightsize applications to share and receive multimedia files, large presentations, multiple files, or sensitive documents. This is where file sharing software can help organizations streamline their file sharing workflows.
File sharing software systems provide a spectrum of features that standardize, centralize, optimize, and expedite the organization's file sharing process. Deploying the right file sharing tool is critical to realize your objectives. Amidst the vast pool of file sharing software applications, finding the most suitable one for your organization requires consideration of a lot of parameters. This buyer's guide intends to reduce your evaluation time and provide you with the most vital information required to make a prudent purchasing decision. Read the guide to know about the features, costs, criticalities, and major elements of best file sharing software systems.
Key Terminology Associated with File Sharing
File Sync: File sync is a process of updating two or more files at various locations/systems in real-time. When changes are made to one file, the same are automatically updated in all the sync files. File Sync feature helps in keeping data uniform and safe across various locations and systems. As data is stored at various locations, the same can be retrieved from the other in case of data loss due to any mishap or error. Secondly, real-time synchronized updates ensure the most recent version of files are accessible by businesses for sharing.
File Hosting: File hosting refers to the service where the host (a service provider) stores the user's data and makes it available on the internet whenever needed. Users can use technologies such as FTP/HTTPS to access their files.
File Transfer: File transfer is the process of sending files via various protocols from one computer system to another. FTP, HTTPS, SSH file transfer, instant messaging apps, P2P applications are some examples of the file transfer technology.
P2P File Sharing: It is a type of internet-based technology to transfer files from one peer computer to another via a peer-to-peer file sharing application.
Double Post: It is an error that leads to transferring the same file twice due to any technical glitch or human mistake. It causes unnecessary load on the servers and creates confusion for the file receivers.
Zip File: It is a file that contains the data of multiple files in a compressed folder. The Zip File process lowers the file size by applying lossless compression algorithms.
What Challenges do Businesses Face during File sharing?
An increase in the remote work practice has also increased the need to share more files and collaborate in real-time. However, file sharing over unsolicited networks and traditional platforms come with a lot of challenges. The most critical issues in file sharing are file size limitation when sending via email, the security of files, and the speed of sending files. Check the details below:
- Sending large files: A major challenge that businesses face is related to sending large-sized files. While there are various methods of sending files below 2 GB, when it comes to large files that range from 10GB to upto 500 GB, businesses are caught in a fix.
- Protecting data: Businesses have to protect their customer's data, sensitive files, important documents, and critical media files from hackers and people with malicious intentions. It is, however, not easy to deploy stringent security measures to protect each and every file.
- Speed of File Transmissions: Traditional and outdated file sharing methods may hamper the high-speed transfer of files and can cause work delays. Ensuring high-speed file transfers is a bit challenging.
- Sending a large number of files: When you need to send thousands of files over internet networks, keeping the sanctity of files, and protecting them from malicious cyber attacks, is a challenging job.
- Keeping track of sent files: When thousands of files are sent on an everyday basis, organizations find it hard to track their usage metrics.
What is a File Sharing System?
Companies can speed up, secure, and scale up their file sharing and reporting process with file sharing software. The software comes with various modules that level up your file transfer process. It is the part of the new work nucleus that contains tools for personal productivity, communication, and collaboration. It has features such as high-speed file transmissions, mobility, compression, compliance adherence, encryption, file tracking, file storage, and backup.
How Does a File Sharing Software Work?
The success of any modern enterprise depends upon its ability to collaborate, innovate and expedite the time-to-market. The use of public file hosting and transfer services by employees can put enterprise content security at risk. The traditional methods of file sharing are therefore outlawed by file sharing and synchronization solutions.
A file sharing program works by allowing the users to share files by email or by a link. It removes all bottlenecks that prevent secure file sharing. It allows you to retain your organization's existing folder structure to eliminate the need for learning the new file locations.
The advanced activity log tools of the software record who accessed, modified, deleted, or copied files. It also lets you determine how long you want to store your files before they get deleted automatically.
What are the Various Types of File Sharing Methods and Technologies?
Methods and Technologies of sharing files:
- Over FTP: File Transfer Protocol (FTP) is a client-server protocol that allows users to request servers for downloading, moving, editing, deleting, or renaming files. Secure FTP protocols use SSL/TCS encryption to protect your data during transmission.
- Over Cloud Storage: In cloud-based file sharing protocol, files are first sent to cloud servers, and thereafter, anyone who needs them can request a download from the cloud servers.
- P2P sharing: Files are either shared between two computer systems or between a computer and a server. When files are shared between two computers, it is known as Peer-to-peer or P2P file sharing.
- Over Messaging Platforms: Messaging or communication platforms such as Slack, Skype, Gmail, Messengers, etc., can be used to send and receive files.
- Remote Access Program: A remote access application can be installed on both the source and destination computers. This application can access the file on connected computers.
- File Sharing Software: Platforms specifically designed for file sharing and collaboration let users share files in the most convenient way.
What Are the Benefits of File Sharing Software?
A file sharing software immensely benefits organizations by easing the overall file sharing process. Various benefits of file sharing software are underlined below:
- Makes sharing of large files a hassle-free process with file sharing capacities of as high as 500GB and more
- Expedites the file sharing process with comprehensive schedulers, workflow automation, and quick scanning of files for viruses, spam elements, malware, etc.
- Automatic end-to-end encryption keeps your data secure and private and sends files via a secure link, App, or Email
- Two-way sharing that also allows your clients to share files with you
- Complete protection and access controls with passwords and 2FA authentication
- Easy tracking of your transfers at all time with highly advanced log tracking metrics
- Enables collaboration on shared files from anywhere and also on mobile devices
- Automated high-end compressions that increase the file transfer speeds
- Share files of all types, size, and formats with ease
- Data loss prevention and backup mechanism keeps your files intact
Who Can Use the File Sharing Software?
File sharing software can be used by all types of industry verticals such as:
- Financial Services: For sharing documents online, loan papers, uploading and exchanging financial information.
- Government Agencies: For sharing contracts, manuals, guidelines, blueprints, sensitive documents, policy documents in real-time and to a large number of officers and employees.
- Healthcare: For sharing patient records, medical history, EMRs, insurance documents, consent forms, research findings, large files containing genome sequencing, and more.
- Education: Single platform to share study material, research projects, curriculum files, presentations, etc.
- Professionals: Sharing documents such as proposals, contracts, presentations, etc.
- Manufacturing Industry: For sharing documentation, technical notes, processes, industry guidelines, monthly reports, production reports, etc.
- Media: For sharing videos, graphics, presentations, images, briefs, and other documents with ease.
- Construction: Sharing RFIs, blueprints, maintenance reports, work orders, bid documents, change orders, purchase orders, job cost reports, site images, and videos.
- Consulting: Share client presentations, agreements, planning reports, proposals, contracts, templates, reports, analysis, etc.
- Retail: Sharing marketing material across the retail chain, employee records, product launch documents, inventory reports, vendor files, etc.
- Marketing: Sharing marketing material, brochures, flyers, marketing collaterals, marketing proposals, plans, content calendar, and more.
- Design Industry: Sharing design files, graphic files, multimedia files, flowcharts, and more.
What Are the Risks Associated With File Sharing?
Manually sharing files over the internet involves risks that may jeopardize the security of your files. Cloud storage applications and file sharing systems have brought a lot of convenience, agility, and scalability to enterprise-level file sharing. However, poorly implemented systems, low-quality applications, and unmanaged file sharing can cause file security risks while sharing files. The major risks associated with file sharing are:
- Transmission of malicious files: Over unsafe networks, hackers can install malicious codes in your files, introduce trojans, malware, ransomware, spy files, worms, etc., into your system. When downloaded such files can cause exposure of data to unauthorized sources.
- Legal risks: Sometimes even unknowingly downloading infected files that contain pirated material, explicit videos, or copyrighted material can put you to legal risks.
- Loss of sensitive data: Cybercriminals conduct phishing attacks more often when files are transmitted over poorly structured applications. Corporate houses that use low-quality P2P file-sharing software are highly prone to cyberattacks.
Without proper evaluation of file sharing systems, corporations and businesses may deploy a low-quality and susceptible software application that is not able to secure their sensitive files. Therefore businesses must evaluate the file sharing and storage solutions carefully to protect their files during and after the sharing process.
Factors to Consider Before Investing in File Sharing Software?
Buyers should meticulously consider and analyze the following elements of the file sharing software tools before making an actual purchase:
Maximum file Sharing Size
Depending upon the nature of your organization's work, your file sharing requirements may vary from other industries. For instance, the design industry, video production houses, photographers, gaming industry, etc., comparatively requires more heavy files to be shared than other industries. A file sharing software vendor who puts a limit on the file-size that can be shared is not appropriate for the above-mentioned industries. Also, without high-speed transfers, files that amount to a couple of Gigabytes will get bloated.
File Availability Days
Most file sharing systems have a file expiration policy in place. The shared links of files may get expired after a few days rendering the files unavailable for downloads. Mostly the basic plans come with a shorter expiration date. With professional plans, you can extend the file expiry date. With enterprise plans, you might also get an option to set your own custom expiry date or set it to never expire.
Certain industries such as IT, financial services, graphic design companies, research firms, etc., create a huge amount of data files on a daily basis. With large workforces, the file sharing needs are amplified, and therefore, more storage space is required to save the files. Check with your vendor about the storage capacity of each plan that he/she offers. Generally, unlimited storage options should be preferred for worry-free file sharing across your organization.
Customization: You may require to customize your settings to suit your unique and business-specific file sharing needs. It is important to ask your vendor if he/she allows custom controls and branding-related customizations etc.
You should read and inquire about your vendor’s security protocols and if there are any past occurrences of data breaches with the vendor.
File sharing can have legal ramifications. Ensure that your vendor is compliant with major data security standards and protocols such as HIPAA, GDPR, SOX, SOC 2, ICFR, FISMA, etc.
Number of Users
The number of users allowed is a crucial factor to keep in mind before making a purchase. Your organization may require everyone to share and receive files. Any capping on the number of users allowed may be detrimental to your business. Also, check if the pricing gets affected due to an increase or decrease in the number of users or not?
Other crucial factors to check are:
- Can file sharing software integrate with other technologies such as CRM, Google Workspace, Cloud storage, digital signature software, etc.?
- How many files and folders can it process simultaneously or in a day/week/month/year?
- Is the software user-friendly, sophisticated, and easy to navigate?
- Can it process and share all types of file formats?
- Is it accessible on all devices such as desktops, laptops, tablets, mobile phones?
- Can it work with low bandwidth internet connectivity, and what transfer acceleration protocols it has?
- Are there any hidden costs, installation, and training charges?
- Does it provide 24/7 call, email, or live chat support?
- Whether it provides free software upgrades?
- Does it provide a Free Trial or a Free demo of its services?
- Is it easy to train employees?
- Does it provide custom reporting and metrics?
What Are the Time-saving Features of File Sharing Software?
Easily send, receive, and store documents files, audio files, video files, and more in the cloud.
It refers to the customized settings, protocols, and high-speed servers that accelerate the file transfer process and provide blazing file transfer speeds.
Users get an easy, secure way to share files and folders. Users can share files via custom links or emails. All links, emails, files are scanned for viruses before sending and downloading. Users can also set up 2-factor authentication and access controls for enhanced security.
Multiple Options to Download
The receivers of the files have multiple options to download them, such as FTP downloads, web browser downloads, torrents, or the file sharing app itself.
Audit Trail: Full-audit trail functionality tracks uploads, downloads, logins, logouts, etc., to help businesses keep a record of sensitive files that were shared and received in and out of the organization.
Two Factor Authentication: Two-Factor Authentication is a procedure that lays another layer of advanced security measures where after entering a password and login ID, users have to clear one more step to access the system or files. The added layer is in the form of a PIN, an OTP, a secret question, fingerprint, facial scan, iris scan, etc. The added layer of security makes it difficult for anyone to gain illegal access to important documents.
Preview Files: Users can preview files of all formats before downloading them.
Version Control: It saves all versions of files and retains the originally shared version.
The file sharing software solutions come with compliance for data security measures and regulations in your local region. When sharing files internationally, GDPR, HIPAA, SOC II, etc., compliance is required.
File sharing software systems come with a fixed or unlimited storage capacity that allows users to store the shared files for easy retrieval.
Device Compatibility: The file sharing app works on all devices such as desktops, laptops, mobiles, and tablets
Delivery Tracking Metrics:
- The feature tracks and notifies:
- The time when the files were shared
- The time when it reached,
- Whether it got delivered or not
- Whether it was opened or not
- How many times the files were downloaded
What is the Average Cost of File Sharing Software?
The costs of the best file sharing app depend on a large number of factors such as:
- The number of files and file size it can process
- Features it offers
- User-friendliness and interface
- Automations it offers
- Storage capacity
- File security features it offers
- Deployment required: Cloud-based, Web-based, on-premise software, or open-source.
- Type of automation it offers
- Quality of service and customer support offered
- Uptime guarantee it offers
These variations cause the pricing structures of vendors to vary significantly. Box comes with a free plan for individuals with 10 GB storage space and a maximum file upload size of 250 MB. Its paid plans start with $5 per month per user. Its enterprise plan allows you unlimited storage and advanced content management, data protection, and unlimited collaborations. Hightail offers a free file sharing software plan with 2GB storage and 100 MB maximum file size. With its business plan that costs $36 per user/month, you can send files of size upto 500 GB. Filemail file sharing application offers a pro plan at $5 per month per user with a maximum file size of 25GB. For unlimited transfer size, you can move to its business plan or Enterprise plan, which are priced at $10 and $25 per month, respectively. If you need free file sharing software, then go for We Transfer, or ProjectSend.
If you need free and open source file-sharing software, check out Pydio Cells, HFS, FileZilla, and Arbore. For other file sharing software solutions, you need to contact the vendor. Get the updated list and complete information from the GoodFirms file sharing software page.
Why Refer to GoodFirms List of File Sharing Software?
GoodFirms is a premier IT software listing and research platform that provides reliable insights, software lists, and reviews of the leading software companies and products. GoodFirms currently hosts a listing of 60k software products and services with more than 30k reviews. Selecting a file sharing software product from GoodFirms' list means you are choosing software solutions that adhere to various quality standards and protocols and therefore are reliable for your purpose. Businesses seeking to invest in the top file transfer software solutions are advised to go through the product list on this page and analyze various applications before making a final investment.