Document Management Software
Enterprises that aspire to operate at a superior level of efficiency should deploy comprehensive document management software that vastly improves their document filing strategies. Without a document management framework, businesses may waste time on unproductive activities, face losses due to misplaced documents, and overburden employees with mundane tasks. Modern documentation management software solutions are integrated with modules for data theft protection, automatic backup, file recovery, and access controls, making them a valuable asset for managing companies’ document resources.
What is a Document Management Software?
Document management software is a set of application suites that equips businesses with all tools required to manage their digital documents. From storing, indexing, organizing, retrieving, and exporting to importing, renaming, authorizing, and comparing documents, the document management system software creates a substantial mechanism for managing electronic documents. These solutions keep the digital document vaults up-to-date, structured, and easily accessible. Businesses can take full control over their important files and folders.
How Critical is Document Management Software for Your Business?
Data tampering, employee errors, unauthorized access to sensitive files, firewall breaches, and data theft are the critical issues that organizations face in the paperless work environment. Access violations and lost files have damaging consequences on companies. Document management systems protect businesses that are vulnerable to information breaches. Audit trail features of the file management software can trace anyone who has edited, deleted, or copied content without permission through the log history of users and their activities.
How to Select the Best Document Management Software for Your Business?
Implementing a robust document management solution should be cost-effective, simple, and easy to deploy. GoodFirms’ research team consists of seasoned software experts who have designed a structured methodology for uncovering the best document management software applications from the pool of file-handling solutions. Select the top document management software from the list curated by the experts at GoodFirms to amplify your business performance. You can also check reviews, apply filters, and segregate the software for further analysis.
List of the Best Document Management System
List of the Best Document Management SystemFilter
- 1All-in-one Document Management Software
eFileCabinet is the all-in-one document management software that enables businesses to run their organization with more power and efficiency—from automation and workflow creation to customizability and control. The only scalable document management software solution built to be affordable for any business, eFileCabinet gives you Experience the power of enterprise-level document management, custo... read more about eFileCabinetVisit website14 DaysContact Vendor
- 2Document Management Solution
Dokmee is a secure, easy to use document management system designed for a variety of purposes including document capture and storage, search and retrieval, and file sharing. Dokmee adapts to any business model by maximizing accessibility and functionality in repositories of all sizes while increasing collaboration and communication between users. With a very user-friendly interface available in 19... read more about Dokmee
- 3Document Management System
KRYSTAL - Document Management System (DMS), the award-winning document management software solution from Primeleaf Consulting, is easy to install, easy to configure and easy to use the system that allows you to spend more time on customer-facing activities – instead of on tedious administrative and paper-based chores. KRYSTAL Document Management software improves the way you Process and Manage y... read more about KRYSTAL DMS
- 4Digitizing Your World.
The dMACQ Document Management System packs powerful functionalities to consolidate all your document and content management needs on to one single platform. dMACQ DMS is platform neutral and has ready capabilities to integrate the document management system with all recognized ERP applications. dMACQ with its analytics engine (dMACQ VisualDMS) and Machine Learning features has one of the most... read more about dMACQ DMSVisit website15 DaysContact Vendor
- 5The Knowledge Base Software that scales with your Product
Document360 is No #1 Knowledge base software for a software project and product documentation. With Document360, you can create rich documentation and knowledge base for your offerings (both internal and external) with ease. Document360 provides world-class authoring experience and can be customized to meet needs from small to large scale enterprises. With easy to configure capabilities, you can m... read more about Document360Huge Upgrade, Document360 is a Hidden Gem.- Clara DiazVisit website14 Days$49/Month
- 6Securely manage, share and access your content from anywhere.
Easily work with anyone when all of your files — notes, documents, presentations, videos and more — are securely editable in the cloud. Invite anyone to collaborate, join in the conversation or just have access to the right files at the right time. Change permissions at any time, keeping your information secure. And with everything in one place, you'll never lose another file or ever have to d... read more about BoxBox is highly recommended- Brady Patterson, Success Road Academy at Chief Operations OfficerVisit website14 Days$5.77/Month
- 7Your company. United. Free. Unlimited. Online.
Bitrix24 is the leading free online CRM software used by over 8 million companies worldwide. It is available in cloud or on-premise with open source code access. Unlimited leads, deals, contacts, companies, quotes, invoices and appointment scheduling. The free plan also comes with email marketing and telephony. Advanced versions have sales and marketing automation, bulk SMS, campaign management an... read more about Bitrix24
- 8A safe place for all your files
File sharing platform that allows users to store and share contacts, photos, videos, presentations, recordings and more. Cloud-based file storage platform that enables businesses of all sizes to store and share contacts, photos, videos, spreadsheets, presentations and more. ... read more about Google DriveGoogle Drive Review- Akhilesh Arya
- 9Task, Document, Email and File Sharing.
Stop worrying about your projects... Get them under control with SAM9000 Use simple smart and powerful lists, or our multi-level Kanban. You do not have to use Kanban. Work on multiple projects in parallel, easily with Scrum, Scrumban or Lean. Keep notes, documents and files together within each project. Work remotely from anywhere. Agile Tasks, Documents, File sharing in one coll... read more about SAM9000 APMa simple approach to fast paced project tracking- Taylor AndersonVisit website30 Days$29/Month
- 10Search What, Not Where
Greenbox is a remarkably unique document management system with an advanced integrated business process management system. It is a Document Management System that helps in storing, tracking, retrieving, and managing documents while having centralized access. Anyone and everyone with permission can access a file irrespective of where they are. The system takes care of complete safety and confidenti... read more about Greenboxgreenbox is an awesome software- Harika KochharVisit website30 Days$5/Month
- 11Work gets better on the same page.
Samepage transforms the way business teams work together.Imagine all your team’s files, tasks, conversations and shared content in one place. Create a page in minutes, then connect and collaborate instantly. No exaggeration.Easy to create. Easy to use. Easy to succeed.Samepage makes it easy to get more done – efficiently and effectively. Built-in file sharing and sync mean your content travels... read more about SamepageProvides all the features that small business needs- Werner Jorgensen, Marketing & Sales Manager at HeatxpertsVisit website30 Days$7.50/Month
- 12Document Management & Workflow Automation Software for Business
DocuWare’s document management software delivers smart digital workflow and document control for substantial productivity gains without the need for IT resources. Our cloud and on-premises products are a recognized best-fit solution for companies seeking to digitize, automate and transform key processes. ... read more about DocuWare
- 13Take the work out of your document workflow
PandaDoc is an all-in-one software that streamlines your sales workflows. Create, send, track, and eSign client-facing documents designed to win more business. PandaDoc integrates with your CRM, saves your team time, and provides transparency into your sales performance.... read more about PandaDoc
- 14Enterprise Document Management Software
SutiDMS is an online document management software solution that lets you organize, manage, share, and communicate your business-critical information. A robust document management system that can meet the needs of organizations of any size. SutiDMS comes with integrated modules that help you with team collaboration, workflow management, and approvals. No download or installation required – you ca... read more about SutiDMS
- 15Open Source Document Management System
OpenDocMan is a free, web-based, open source document management system (DMS) written in PHP designed to comply with ISO 17025 and OIE standard for document management. It features web based access, fine grained control of access to files, and automated install and upgrades. ... read more about OpenDocMan
- 16Document Management System
OpenKM is an Enterprise Content Management Software, often referred to as Document Management Systems (DMS). There's a lot of literature about document management terms like DMS, EDRMS or CMS usually more influenced by marketing rules rather than objective reasons. ... read more about OpenKM
- 17Your personal file manager
Store, share and manage all your files on the cloud. From documents to images, spreadsheets to presentations, and even your music, movies, and pictures carry all your files with you wherever you go. With everything stored in a centralized location, now you can conveniently share your files with your friends and colleagues. ... read more about Zoho Docs
- 18Complete Office Automation Platform
RicohDocs is a complete office automation system that enables users to automate all the business processes with absolute ease. No matter how complicated a task is, with RicohDocs you can handle it smoothly, within a short period of time. It's a software that has been designed to create, store, collect, convey and manipulate different types of office information for handling basic business proc... read more about RicohDocs
- 19Most Affordable Document Management Software
ShareDocs Enterpriser is a precise fit for professionals dealing with complex work. While document management software is at our core, ShareDocs Enterpriser comes with a host of other features for industry-grade experts. Some of the Important Features are listed below: Browser-based access Bulk upload/drag and drop documents Document encryption Universal file viewer Secure document shar... read more about ShareDocs EnterpriserVisit website14 Days$40/Month
- 20Digital Signature Software For Businesses - Save Time, Money & Hassle!
Secured Signing is a digital signature software solution that allows you to send documents for electronic signing. It is cloud based, easy to use, PKI-encrypted & secure + has many advanced features such as website forms, video confirmation of signee, face-to-face signing. Secured Signing also has integrations with popular third party software such as Salesforce, Google Suite, Dropbox, Microsof... read more about Secured Signing
- 21Work better, safer, together.
Dropbox Business simplifies your work, with a central place to access and share files. Keep all your files securely stored, up to date, and accessible from any device. Quickly send any file—big or small—to anyone, even if they don’t have a Dropbox account. Keep your files private with multiple layers of protection from the service trusted by millions. Manage tasks, track file updates, and st... read more about Dropbox BusinessVisit website30 Days$12.50/Month
- 22At the heart of your brand.
Bynder’s digital asset management platform helps teams collaborate in the cloud, get content to market faster, and maximize the impact of marketing assets. It is the fastest way to professionally manage digital files. Teams get on the same page for real-time collaborative edits and approvals, easy file sharing and storage, auto-formatting for channels and file types - it provides one central hub... read more about BynderVisit websiteAvailableContact Vendor
- 23We simplify Office365
TITAN is a digital workplace and collaboration platform that connects every unit in the organization within Teams. It centralizes knowledge and communication and provides users with tools to enable them to cooperate seamlessly. Employees are also given a dashboard for them to keep track of their tasks, notifications, meetings, and more within Teams. There is also no need to share documents and fi... read more about Titan IntranetVisit website21 DaysContact Vendor
- 24Free document management system.
SeedDMS is a free document management system with an easy to use web-based user interface. It is based on PHP and MySQL or sqlite3 and runs on Linux, MacOS, and Windows. Many years of development has made it a mature, powerful and enterprise-ready platform for sharing and storing documents. It's fully compatible with its predecessor LetoDMS.... read more about SeedDMS
- 25YOUR DOCUMENTS. NO SURPRISES.
Mayan EDMS is an electronic vault for your documents. With Mayan EDMS you will never lose another document to floods, fire, theft, sabotage, fungus or decomposition. Its advanced search and categorization capabilities will help you reduce the time to find the information you need. It is free to open source and integrates with your existing equipment, that means low to no initial investment, and ev... read more about Mayan EDMS
- 26AN OPEN SOURCE DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT SYSTEM!
Kimios is an open source document management program used to store, edit, create and track documents. Kimios offers smart digital workflow solutions and document control. Kimios was designed to help companies and departments with a large document flow: Human Resources, Financial Departments, Quality Service, etc.... read more about Kimios
- 27Transform your business with content.
The Nuxeo Enterprise Platform offers modern technologies, unmatched modularity, a powerful plug-in model and extensive packaging capabilities. Using a fully open source development model, Nuxeo provides a subscription program with software maintenance, technical support, and customization tools.... read more about Nuxeo
- 28Internal Audit Management and Tracking Software.
Qualityze Audit Management software (QAM) complements your established audit management process and empowers you to improve quality, reduce costs and identify operational and compliance risks by effectively managing the full audit lifecycle by: Creating an Audit Plan Scheduling an Audit Preparing an Audit Executing Audit Track findings Performing Follow-Up / Closure... read more about Qualityze Audit ManagementVisit website7 DaysContact Vendor
- 29Do more - easier, quicker, smarter.
LibreOffice is a powerful office suite – its clean interface and feature-rich tools help you unleash your creativity and enhance your productivity. LibreOffice includes several applications that make it the most powerful Free and Open Source office suite on the market.... read more about LibreOffice
- 30Your documents online easy to use
Docxpresso is a software package that greatly simplifies the generation of dynamical documents in a web server. With the help of Docxpresso, you will be able to generate beautiful PDF, Word, ODT (Open Document Format) and RTF business reports or generic documents in an effortless and efficient way.... read more about Docxpresso
- 31Digitalization made easy
bitfarm-Archiv Document Management offers everything you need to archive and manage your documents and files. Our intuitively operable Document Management software is designed for use in companies, institutions and public administration and meets high demands 'out of the box'. In addition to archiving according to the legal requirements of the GoBD, bitfarm-Archiv offers comprehensive and pract... read more about bitfarm-Archiv
- 32Most secure way to create, edit and collaborate on business documents online
ONLYOFFICE is a collaborative corporate office available as a cloud service and on-premises solutions. It features a collaborative 3-in-1 editing suite fully compatible with MS formats, tools for managing documents and projects, CRM, calendar, mail, communication instruments, and advanced security settings. It also provides free desktop and mobile apps connectable to the cloud.... read more about OnlyOfficeVisit website30 Days$5/Month
- 33Secure, simple, effective
Understanding and managing risk is essential for a healthy business, but it's often shrouded in jargon, expensive consultants and weighty documents! Combine these issues with far more exciting and rewarding things to spend the day doing and it is not a surprise that risk management is stuck on the to do list in most business.We can't promise to make risk management exciting but we can make it achi... read more about TrackMyRisks
- 34Convert scans and PDFs with unmatched accuracy.
With ABBYY FineReader, Easily transform paper documents, PDFs and digital photos of text into editable and searchable files. No more manual retyping or reformatting. Instead, you can search, share, archive, and copy information from documents for reuse and quotation — saving you time, effort and hassles.... read more about ABBYY FineReaderVisit website30 Days$119.99/One-time
- 35Highly scalable enterprise level Document Management System
VIENNA Advantage DMS is the first-ever Document Management System to be securely integrated with ERP and CRM solutions. It comprises enterprise-level workflow and business process management with great automation level and highly secure encryption of documents. This DMS solution is very easy to use, highly scalable, and supports millions of documents. It allows collaboration and increases producti... read more about VIENNA Advantage DMS
- 36Communicate easier, faster, and better with PDFs
PDFelement is the easiest way to create, edit, convert and sign PDF documents on Windows and Mac. This leading alternative to Adobe® Acrobat® offers enterprise-grade PDF functionalities and perpetual licensing at a fraction of the price. Sold globally in 9 different languages, PDFelement is the all-in-one PDF solution for users of all types, and the only complete PDF solution next to Adobe... read more about PDFelementVisit websiteN/A$6.99/Month
- 37Document management of the future
Doc.Series offers modular and agile solutions for processing and optimizing your documents. Photocopies, files, printing, archiving, storage, research. Always more documents, always more files, always more time to find documents. Loss of time, energy and money, reduced productivity, delays in daily management…... read more about Doc.SeriesVisit website14 DaysContact Vendor
- 38Safe and Secure Document Collaboration
Cryptacomm is a highly secure solution for confidential transactions that facilitates easy communication among relevant parties, enabling users to internally discuss, share, edit, assign, and track progress on documents and tasks related to due diligence, contract negotiations, mergers and acquisitions, and other key business activities. This simple and safe file sharing and collaboration solution... read more about CryptacommVisit website45 DaysContact Vendor
- 39AssurX compliance management software automates the tracking
With decades of expertise built into our quality management and regulatory compliance software platform, AssurX helps companies maintain quality and compliance, streamline workflow, control risk and better manage any enterprise. Our incredibly configurable software and deep understanding of users’ needs produce a unique system that easily adapts as your business evolves. AssurX is an ideal partn... read more about AssurX
- 40Smart Document Solution
MSB offers easy transition from traditional physical paperwork to digital signatures and workflows, improving ROI and efficiency by simplifying everyday processes and streamlining repetitive tasks and time-consuming work.MSB was conceptualized and developed as a platform that provides secure, efficient and compliant document workflow and management solutions for the life sciences and healthcare in... read more about MSB Docs
- 41Document Management System Software
We are here to help you solve your document management challenges. Break barriers and achieve more with EisenVoult, distance is no challenge for team collaboration and documentation. Boost your efficiency and expand your creativity experience using EisenVoult to step up your document creation, collaboration and organisation process.... read more about EisenVoult
- 42Document Management And Collaboration Platform
- 43Do meaningful work faster, automate the rest.
Fluix is a no-code, simple-to-use software solution that helps companies to digitize documents and automate routine tasks, all in one place. We solve the pain points of office and field teams who want to deliver faster and gather secure, reliable data, while keeping safety and compliance as top priorities. Fluix customers benefit from lightning-fast deployment, increased productivity, and a ... read more about FluixVisit website14 Days$200/Month
- 44Engineer Project Success.
Planio is the #1 choice in Project Management Software for more than 1,500 companies worldwide. Award-winning and consistently rated 5 stars for its ease of use and customer support, Planio will help your team ship projects consistently on time and on budget. Super-charge your productivity and keep everyone in the loop with Planio!... read more about PlanioVisit website30 Days$21/Month
- 45Join the paperlez revolution and experience total freedom.!
Paperlez can be defined as ‘First Step to office automation’. Paperlez comes up with a web as well as mobile interface. The dedicated android as well as iPhone mobile apps helps to work on the go. Using Paperlez you don’t have to go through that huge pile of files and records in the search of a particular file. Just clicking the file name and you will directly get launched in to that file lo... read more about Paperlez
- 46Powerful program to recover deleted files
Phoenix File Rescue is a software to recover lost files on your computer. You can save time searching for files if you know their formats and their approximate sizes. This software can restore deleted files in all popular formats, on a variety of devices and storage media: hard disks, SD cards, USB drives, digital cameras, mobile phones, and tablets. - Finds deleted files quickly and effectivel... read more about Phoenix File RescueVisit website7 DaysContact Vendor
- 47We meet teams where they work.
Technology is meant to help your teams, not hinder them. That’s why NetDocuments document and email management, collaboration, and governance live in the applications they use every day like Outlook, Microsoft Office, and their browser. Lawyers, law firms, and legal teams struggle through manual inefficient systems of scattered folders with poor security and zero protection over files that are m... read more about NetDocuments
- 48NEW MINUTES FUNCTIONALITY WILL STREAMLINE YOUR MEETING
Boardtrac can help you improve board processes, whether you’re a board director or board administrator. Boardtrac is built on a solid foundation of digital security protocols that gives you and your organisation peace of mind. Our ISO certifications demonstrate our commitment to ensuring our solution is safe, robust, documented, and focused on delivering a high-quality service. It is used by sma... read more about Boardtrac
- 49Transforming how professionals get work done
iManage Work is the leading document and email management application for professionals. Over 1 million people use iManage to manage content and communications side-by-side in secured unified workspaces, from a single, intuitive user experience. iManage Work integrates with applications including Office 365, MS Outlook, Gmail and Adobe. Smart features such as personalized search, document timeline... read more about iManage Work
- 50Create fillable forms, edit and e-sign PDF documents
pdfFiller combines an online PDF editor, creator, and form builder solution for individuals and businesses of all sizes. Whether you need to fill out a personal tax form, edit a PDF contract or create it from scratch, pdfFiller lets you do it online from the convenience of a single app, using any desktop or mobile device. Key features of pdfFiller: Edit and create PDFs online Collect customer d... read more about pdfFillerVisit website30 Days$8/Month
- Introduction to buyer's guide for Document Management Software
- What are the most common challenges in manual documentation?
- What is Document Management Software?
- What are the advantages of Document Management Software?
- How does a Document Management System work?
- What are the essential features to look for in a Document Management Software?
- How to implement a Document Management Software?
- What types of business can benefit from Document Management Software?
- How secure is a Document Management System?
- What are the best practices for Document Management Software?
- What is the approximate cost of Document management software?
- Why refer to GoodFirms’ list of top Document Management Software?
Introduction to buyer's guide for Document Management Software
The view of a traditional office often consists of filing cabinets, microfiche systems, drawing cabinets, folders, and shelves,often meant to store valuable information about the business like accounts, business contracts, employee’s payroll, security compliances, and policies, etc. The documentation type varies as per industry.
For any business, documentation is an integral part of their routine activities. Some documents also carry the legal weight, so it is essential to store them safely. Any error in filing the document or misplacing vital documents can incur a big financial loss to the business. Also, it consumes a lot of time to re-process and re-generate the lost documents. This is where Document Management Software plays an important role.
The traditional method of document management involves filing paper bills, receipts, employee details, manually. The formula has worked for all types of business, but there are some serious risks associated with manual document management.
What are the most common challenges in manual documentation?
- Takes a lot of space: The manual document filing takes a large amount of space. Once a business owner starts growing his business, it becomes a big headache for business owners. It is even frustrating when someone has to hunt down a file from this heap of files.
- Risk of damage and misplacement: The risk of damage and misplacement of paper documents can’t be ignored with the manual documentation process. Regardless of robust manual documentation practice, the paper documents are prone to damage and misplacement.
- Time-consuming: It is the biggest obstacle in manual documentation. The employees have to suffer their present work and have to focus on filing or finding documents manually. It can take anywhere from a few minutes to hours to hunt down a single file, which may consume an employee's valuable time.
- Difficult to make changes: It is hard to implement changes with paper documents. So every time someone wants to make a change, they have to make a copy without destroying the original copy. It means there are more documents and more filing processes.
- Low Security: A confidential file in the cabinet can be easily accessed. If there is no duplicate copy of the file, gathering all documents from different sources could be a mammoth task.
It is for the above reasons, businesses of all sizes and types can invest in a document management software.
What is Document Management Software?
A document management software (DMS) is a system that helps to track, manage, and store documents and minimize the usage of papers. Most are efficient in maintaining a record of the various versions created and modified by different users. The document management system is also referred to as an electronic filing cabinet. The software works in tandem with scanners; it converts paper documents into digital versions. It helps with the capture, storage, retrieval, control, sharing, and tracking documents, no matter whether those documents are in paper or digital format. .
Besides offering the advantage of going paperless, the features and functionalities of document management software are critical to effectively running a business. A document management solution also behaves as a collaboration tool that allows team members to communicate through a single platform.
What are the advantages of Document Management Software?
- Easy to locate: The paper document stored in multiple locations is often time consuming and costly to track. With document management solution, it is easy to find the document with their name, category or allocated number
- Better collaboration: When multiple people are working on a single document, and editing is continuously happening, the document management software ensures they always work on the latest copy. It eliminates the scope of conflict among workers as they all share the common document.
- Better security: Security is an added advantage with a document management system (DMS). The documents are password protected and come with other security features. Besides that, it controls the document access, like who can view or edit the document. This feature keeps unauthorized access away from the confidential file.
- File recovery: The centralized data management and backup feature allow the user to recover documents anytime they want, especially when there is damage to the document due to disaster.
- Easy auditing and indexing. The document management solution facilitates the seamless auditing and indexing of documents. The software users can access previous versions of the files and rectify the error. In comparison to auditing physical copies, it becomes quite comfortable with the electronic records.
- Integration with other tools: The software also allows third-party integrations. Usually, the document management software (DMS) is used as a standalone program. However, there are a few software like mailing tools or reporting tools that can be used along with the DMS.
- Access data anytime and anywhere ( Cloud): The software can also be deployed on the cloud. It gives liberty to access the file from anywhere and at any time. It can be integrated with Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS devices. So users also don’t need desiccated facilities to access the data.
- Centralized data management: The centralized location makes users access them more easily, quickly, and comfortably.
How does a Document Management System work?
Invoices, balance sheets, sales brochures, payment reminder letters, email, spreadsheets, reports—all businesses create a variety of documents during the course of business.
Step 1) Template for the folder structure
Users create templates for folder structures standardized throughout the system. Then apply a list of predefined document names to files uploaded to the folder.
Step 2) Capture the document
Document management software should be able to capture data from the source. It means the user can find any document anytime or any day. Usually, a high-speed scanner is used to capture paper documents from the source. This document is later indexed based on the user's requirement. The indexing can be done through ERP screen integration, barcoding, or zone optical character recognition (OCR). The data capture from different sources may involve paper documents, emails, system-generated reports, or any other applications like CRM or ERP.
Step 3) Central document storage
Central document storage is vital for managing and retaining documents that come from different sources. The central document storage can be used for storing both dynamic and static content.
Step 4) Document retrieval and distribution
The critical step of a document management system is document retrieval and distribution. Document retrieval needs to be fast and easy. The document management system comes with the search features to retrieve a document on any keyword search. The secret to quick document retrieval lies with how well the document indexing is done.
Another aspect of DMS software is document distribution. The software should route the document to a responsible person, like sending documents to customers, vendors, and employees. It should allow users to send documents any way they want to, like email and FTP. The modern-day software allows us to automate the entire workflow. For instance, when an order appears in your ERP system, it automatically triggers a workflow in your document management system.
Step 5) Document security
Make sure the document management software is laced with all necessary security set-up to block unauthorized access to the document.
What are the essential features to look for in a Document Management Software?
- Document assembly
- File recovery
- Document storage, retention, and sharing
- Collaboration Tools
- Compatible with a wide variety of scanners
- Version Control
- Document indexing
- Offline access
- Electronic signature
- Document event log history
- Merge multiple documents into single PDFs
- Bulk file upload
- File routing and approval
- Customizable dashboard
- Automated business process workflows
- Access files securely anytime or anywhere
- Intuitive user interface
- Convenient and reliable search engine
- Controlling who can view documents and when
- Accessible via smartphone devices and tablets
- Easily integrate with the other application or tool like email automation tool or customer relationship management software
- Restricting access to documents
- Regular notification on software upgrades and maintenance
- Allow to import content from XML and MD and export to HTML MD AND PDF and so on.
- Control over the number of users log in or access
- Document creating templates
- Supports multiple languages
- Remote access ( cloud storage)
- Metadata management
- Monitoring and audit trail tools to view changes made to documents
- Data protection and scalability
- OCR ( Optical Character Recognition) conversion capability
- Audit logging
- API integration access
- E-signature integration
- Upload documents in bulk
How to implement a Document Management Software?
Depending on the type of DMS, the implementation process may vary. The user can hire a document manager to ensure the entire implementation process is upbeat and software performs well after implementation.
Step 1) Research the product
Users should research various document software available in the market, and check the compatibility of the company’s requirements with the new document software. The user can search for reviews about the software vendor and services related to the implementation of document management programs. In case the user is moving from old to the new system then he should see the data migration takes place seamlessly.
Step 2) Discuss with the team members
The software user needs to feel involved in the process. If the software is going to be used by a group of people, then ensure the team members using the new software understand the reason behind implementing it and how it can benefit the company.
Step 3) Conduct the training
If the document management software is used by the team members, then conduct a training session or share videos with them on how to use the software.
Step 4) Installation and configuration
Install the software and proceed to configure those features that can be immediately accessible. The user can determine the rules on granting permission to certain documents. Also, perform necessary steps like connecting and integrating document management app with mobile devices.
Unlike on-premise software, the cloud management service may not require installation and maintenance. The cloud document management system is the best option for organizations that do not prefer investing in resources for maintaining an internal data center with complicated firewall protocols and backup procedures.
Step 5) Dashboard reporting
Most document management platforms or software nowadays include data dashboards. Ensure the dashboard reflects necessary information related to document filing and storing. It can also be useful to monitor the success of software as well.
What types of business can benefit from Document Management Software?
Everyone can take advantage of a DMS system, no matter the company size or industry. A small business could use to collect a variety of electronic documents like images, PDF, media files, or an enterprise-level company managing invoices.
The businesses that may use file management software include,
- Legal firms
- Real estate and Construction
- Academics and educational institution
- Production and Manufacturing
How secure is a Document Management System?
Yes, the document management system software is secure to use with necessary security measures in practice like SSL technologies, TLS protocols, two-factor authentication, strong login password, regulatory compliance, and directory authentications.
On top of that, the dashboard reports can help managers and administrators keep watch on user activities. The email notifications and advanced audit trail further strengthen the managers and administrators to control the data. The security templates in DMS with predefined security can be quickly applied to different areas. Besides that, the data backup option allows the user to retrieve any information they lost during the operation.
What are the best practices for Document Management Software?
- Include Automation: To improve the efficiency, the document management solutions automates as many processes as possible, especially those that are repetitive.
- Periodically review storage: The document management system handles large quantities of data, and the user should conduct periodic review storage. The periodic review allows a company to organize its database for optimum usability.
- Maintain consistency:Maintain consistency in naming the files and folders uploaded or created within the DMS. It is a good practice to implement consistent workflow paths for all the documents
- Regulatory compliance: It is essential that electronic document management systems meet all regulatory compliance requirements.
- End-to-end configuration: The document control software should be easily configured, updated, and maintained, to avoid reliance on costly consultants, programmers, and specialized IT resources.
- Align DMS with automation process:Business processes implement automation processes for organization’s success. Companies should ensure that their automation strategies are falling in line with the document management system.
- Implement security measures: Administrators should implement additional security measures. For example, distributing read-only content, wherever applicable and there is no back-door to access/tamper documents at a server level.
- Establish DMS ownership: It is essential that a responsible person or document manager is assigned for necessary approval or streamline any necessary workflow. Also, during any software issue, the team members can turn to the document manager.
What is the approximate cost of Document management software?
The cost of Document Management Software like Greenbox could be as low as $5/month, while high-end software like Fluix can be anywhere around $200/month. The electronic document management system may be used as a standalone solution, or maybe it comes as an add-on feature with the workflow management software. The businesses that have limited use and are looking for a budget-friendly document management tool, then samepage, and pdfFiller are some good alternatives. For those who wish to have only the basic features, then they can go for software like; Planio, ShareDocs Enterpriser or SAM9000 APM. However, enterprise level companies handling massive documents on a daily basis may prefer enterprise document management software like Fluix or Clausebase.
The flexible pricing of document management systems allows users to try the software without worrying about the financial restriction. The free and open source document management software solutions are always up to reduce the burden of additional expenses over the company.
Why refer to GoodFirms’ list of top Document Management Software?
GoodFirms surfaces the best IT solutions through its review and rating platform. It assists the companies or individuals in making the best decisions on software selection and streamlining their business operations. Well, whether it’s an in-depth analysis of software features or getting a range of pricing options on the software solution, the platforms scan all important details for consumers in the most comprehensive format.
More and more companies are adopting paperless concepts, and the document management solutions are giving wings to it. It helps to speed up the manual documentation task and boost the overall efficiency of the business process. The document management software is applicable in almost all areas. The choice differs from the business point of view and budget. The Goodfirms suggest that you verify the complete list of best document management software that spans various business segments regardless of their business size and budget.