The Best 4 Free and Open Source Web Conferencing Software Solutions
When 7 out of 10 online meetings end terribly, the blame is always on the inefficient back-end support system. There is a clear-cut demand for powerful web conferencing solutions.
In this age of electronic communications, the “nice to e-meet you” concept has brought a revolutionary change in the communication and collaboration aspect. The best tools for web conferencing facilitate easy communication at any time and anywhere. It minimizes the distance, time, and cost that are otherwise incurred for a meeting.
In this article, we will focus on the best free and open source web conferencing sytems available today in the market.
Free and Open Source Web Conferencing tools for a Happier Video Experience
Open Source web conferencing solutions are much preferred by businesses these days as they can easily get modified to fit the client’s needs.
Though they are freely-distributed, open source software programs still require maintenance, configuration, and ongoing support. These software packages come with comprehensive cost benefits, freedom, security, and accountability that are generally unsurpassed by the proprietary software solutions. Free and Open Source Web Conferencing platforms possesses long term viability and always remains on the cutting-edge of the technology.
Other than the proprietary systems, open source web conference systems enable enhancements as well as extensions from a developer who is familiar with the source code. It saves the organization from ‘vendor lock-in’ by assuring long-term viability.
These video conferencing solutions for small businesses are continuously reviewed and supported by a community of developers. At every interval, new features are added and contributed back to the community. If any security of technical loophole is detected, it goes through quick fixation. Thus, it makes them more reliable even without requiring them to pay additionally.
The Global Web Conferencing Market estimates reaching $20 billion in 2024 at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 14%. The Real-Time Communication (RTC) systems demand that APIs should be open source, standardized, free, built into the web browsers and much more efficient than the current technologies.
Let us check out some of the best free and open source web conferencing solutions that are successfully driving out the market.
All programs included in this conferencing software list have some unique features, and they are a bit different to one another on the basis of their design and usability. But you can compare this through the comparison chart given below.
BigBlueButton is a leading free and open source tool for web conferencing that supports the online learning facility. This top conferencing software is based on the GNU/Linux operating system and runs on Ubuntu 16.04. The stable version 2.0-RC11 of this Java-based software program holds a software license as per LGPL.
- BigBlueButton software offers tailor-made tools for teachers to share their slides, audio, video, chat, and desktop with students.
- Live whiteboard is made available for presenters and groups with the ability to zoom, highlight, draw, and write on presentations.
- No limit is set to share the number of webcams in a session. The limitation is just in terms of bandwidth.
- The software works for the benefit of schools and aims at meeting WCAG 2.0 accessibility standards.
OpenMeetings, the open source solution for web conferencing is the best for online training, presenting, web conferencing, document editing, user desktop sharing, and collaborative whiteboard drawing. Its Red5 media server-based software works on HTML5 and Flash. This MySQL supported, and Apache License 2.0 based software got its stable version 4.07, and is available in 31 languages.
- OpenMeetings software has been downloaded over 250,000 times.
- It facilitates four options for audio/video functions: audio + video, audio-only, video-only, and picture-only.
- It supports recording meeting sessions and downloading them as AVI/FLV files.
- It provides a screen sharing facility as well.
- Advanced file explorer and the moderating system facilitate in all meeting rooms.
- Multi-Whiteboard and Chat facility is available with a full range of tools and documents inside.
The cloud-based video conferencing system ezTalks offers small & medium-sized businesses and large enterprises an exceptional platform to communicate as well as collaborate online. This best video conferencing software support Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone, and iPad applications. It facilitates HD video conferencing with different plans and packages.
- The ezTalks software provides free software hosting up to 100 participants.
- The software incorporates HD video and audio, an innovative whiteboard, and a cross-platform chatting system.
- It supports playback, recording, and scheduling features to allow the users to share video and audio recordings and send them reminders about upcoming meetings or webinars.
- An unlimited number of live webinars, multiple presenters, webinar cloud storage, custom registration page, and screen sharing with co-annotation are some additional features the software supports.
(Source: ezTalks Cloud Meeting)
The multi-platform video conferencing platform – Jitsi is 100% free and open source. It supports web platforms, Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, and Android platforms and hosts Jitsi Meet and Jitsi Videobridge as its most aspiring video conferencing projects.
- Jitsi software supports attended and blind call transfer facility.
- Auto re-connect, auto-answer, auto-forward call recording facility makes it very usable software.
- The software provides instant messaging encryption with OTR, Direct media connection establishment with the ICE protocol, File transfer for XMPP, AIM/ICQ, Windows Live Messenger, YIM, IPv6 support for SIP and XMPP, and many other features.
- Jitsi Videobridge provides group video support.
Apart from the above-listed, you can also go through the complete list of video conferencing solutions for more options. Users are required to investigate about the best software program and utilize it to meet their purpose.
If you are already using one from the software listed above, you can freely share your reviews here.
The emergence of web conference technology and its usage has been enabling the most uncomplicated production of webinars and meetings. Being online, they are much easier to attend as well. Network, speed, and browsers are important players of this game.
Web conferencing has proved to make a conference call more interactive and added an option to enhance productivity. Live meetings and live training sessions with a PowerPoint presentation, an Excel spreadsheet, or something else has transformed with the Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) principles. Highly sophisticated 4K resolution cameras, machine vision, virtual assistance, and facial recognition increase the effectiveness of meetings today. AI enables us to determine the optimum length of the meeting session, the ideal number of meeting participants, and the best time of the day to schedule the meeting to improve productivity.
Companies have now become more interested in hiring remote teams. Leveraging more on web-conferencing solutions can save cost, time, and resource.
Whether it is about conducting webinars, client consultations, tutorials, or hosting product demos, web conferencing tools have a significant role in making every virtual ... continue reading