Time Tracking Software
Discover the best Time Tracking Software for your organization, outlined exclusively by the experts at GoodFirms.
As businesses chase efficiency and optimum productivity, online time tracking software aids them to achieve high growth, deploy transparent processes, and monitor employee work hours without any hassle. Managers get rid of cumbersome manual time tracking procedures with an automated time tracker software.
What is a Time Tracking Software?
Employee Time Tracking Software is a set of application tools that help organizations track, measure, and analyze employees' work time, productivity, and project progress. It is a widely used software application that increases employee's productivity by monitoring the time spent on tasks and projects. It generates reports about productive and unproductive work, working hours, overtime, idle time, leaves, and absences.
Benefits of Time Tracking Software
Real-time employee coverage and attendance
Decreased errors in wage calculations and accurate billing of employee hours
Transparency of Data between Employees and Employer
Easy employee clock in and clock outs
Efficient project planning and task management
Higher employee performance and focussed work
Enables managers to monitor remote workers' productive hours
The lower cost incurred and higher organizational savings with automated timesheets
Prevents unexpected time leaks, and unauthorized employee timeouts
Better planning of workloads and prevention of overstaffing/understaffing issues
How to Select the Best Time Tracking Software?
GoodFirms' platform opens a plethora of opportunities for buyers to explore the list of some of the world's best time tracking apps curated by GoodFirms' research team. Check the features, reviews, and pricing of the top time tracking solutions and pick the best one for your organization. You can also apply filters and compare various time tracking software applications.
Best Time Tracker Software | Best Time Tracking Apps Lists (232 Software)
- Time Tracking software for teams of any type and size.
WebWork Time Tracking and Employee Monitoring Software will make attendance tracking and project planning less stressful. This easy-to-use time monitoring tool will generate in-depth exportable reports to find out your workforce's time management gaps Set up in minutes and try our demo without paying at the start. ... learn more about WebWork Time Tracker"Effective, easy-to-use solution to monitor your staff productivity"LusineVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial7 daysEntry Level Price$2.99 per Month
- Gamified Time Tracking & Employee Leave Management
Trackabi is a web-based cloud service for time tracking, employee leave management, preparation of time reports, invoice generation, and many other tedious things related to managing a company daily. At Trackabi, we focus on small and medium-sized businesses. Trackabi includes all of the features one would expect from a time tracking software. Plus, there are many beneficial customization optio... learn more about Trackabi"Robust and flexible time tracking software"Jenny DabonVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial30 daysEntry Level Price$16 per Year
- Discover a better way to track time and get work done.
Intervals is simple, yet powerful time tracking and task management software with intelligent reporting. It provides collaboration, tracking, and reporting tools teams use to turn successful projects into a successful business. It is fully featured with the right features small teams need. Budget tracking, timesheets, document sharing, email integration, productivity reports, and other project man... learn more about IntervalsVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial30 daysEntry Level Price$29 per Month
- Project management software to plan tasks and track times.
With Beesbusy, teams organize, plan and work together easily to accomplish their tasks and projects. Project managers and teams love Beesbusy because of its user-friendly interface. It is the most simple way to organize your work. No set up needed, you can start right away. Beesbusy also comes with advanced features: Gantt charts, customizable multi-projects views, team planning charts, on-demand ... learn more about BeesbusyVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial7 daysEntry Level Price$11.99 per Month
- Project Management Software Built For Software Teams.
TaskBlast is project management software built for software teams with time tracking seamlessly integrated. Manage your projects and tasks the way you've always wanted. Manage your time tracking conveniently and quickly. Use the Gantt view to visually plan your projects. Engage your team members to collaborate and interact on your projects in a more versatile and friendly way, regardless of whethe... learn more about TaskBlast
- Easily track time on the go
Thousands of businesses use QuickBooks Time to track and manage employee time for payroll, invoicing, and scheduling. Millions of employees use QuickBooks Time for accurate timesheets and project tracking each day. QuickBooks Time is the best automated time tracking software for construction companies, landscaping businesses, small businesses, large businesses, and more.... learn more about QuickBooks Time"A Must-Have for business"David W. WhiselVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial30 daysEntry Level Price$10 per Month
- Time tracking and productivity monitoring software for businesses and individuals
Time Doctor provides detailed analytics of where time is spent in the work day. See websites and applications visited when working and screenshots of the computer screen every few minutes while they work. Time Doctor will not only track the total time worked by every person on your team, but it will also provide a breakdown of how much time is spent on each project, client, or task. The time trac... learn more about Time Doctor"Provides accurate reporting"Alexander Porter, Head Of Copy at SearchItLocalVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial14 daysEntry Level Price$9.99 per Month
- Time Tracking App For Your Business
TMetric is a featured time tracking app with screenshots capturing, activity monitoring, tasks and project management, accurate payrolling, billing and invoicing, and much more. See the progress of your tasks in real-time, manage deadlines, allocate resources to boost productivity. It provides easy paid time off (PTO) tracking, clear time-off policies for employees, quick leave approvals, and accu... learn more about TMetric"The best time management app for personal use."ЕкатеринаVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial30 daysEntry Level Price$4.00 per Month
- Comprehensive Suite to Manage Time, Projects, People & Profits.
Replicon, Inc. is a software company providing cloud time tracking applications including timesheet and expense management software, using SaaS, for automating employee time tracking, project time tracking, expense tracking and scheduling. Replicon, the Time Intelligence™ company, has over 20 years of industry leadership and is pioneering a new approach to time management. Time Intelligence elev... learn more about RepliconVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial14 daysEntry Level Price$22 per Month
- Time tracking software that your team will actually use.
TimeCamp is an advanced time tracking app which also offers a variety of reporting, billing, and invoicing features. It is the perfect time clock software tool for many small, medium, and large businesses around the world which struggle with cumbersome time tracking programs, inaccurate client bills, and lost and inaccurate reports. Available almost anywhere in the world, TimeCamp tackles and solv... learn more about TimeCamp
- Simple Employee Time Tracking for Small and Medium Sized Businesses
Timesheets.com can help businesses reduce payroll, manage time-off, and maximize the hours they bill. We do this by tracking and organizing accurate time worked so you can run the reports and exports you need. Timesheets.com can also track employee expenses, HR performance documents, and schedules – all under one roof.... learn more about Timesheets
- Time tracking software for those who value insight.
Harvest is a web-based time tracking and invoicing application relied on by over 40,000 creative businesses all across the globe. Harvest makes time tracking easy, keeping you on top of project budgets without the hassle of spreadsheets. Harvest time tracking can unlock key information about your business, but remembering to do it can be a challenge. Harvest makes it easy to track time and expens... learn more about Harvest"Be it your CRM or your accounting software"Nicole Sidoti, Founder and Creative Director at Popdot
- Free Time Tracking Software
Toggl is a leading online time tracking software for small and big teams. Very simple and flexible work hours tracking with multi-device support. Generates beautiful reports and time usage graphs with an option to export time logs as Excel spreadsheets, get weekly reports via email or share public reports links with clients to provide more transparency. which is extremely popular among freelancers... learn more about Toggl
- 100% Free Time Tracking Software.
Clockify is the only truly free time tracking software. It's a simple time tracker and timesheet app that lets you and your team track work hours across projects. Unlimited users, free forever. Its free online employee time clock app for accurate clock-in and clock-out. With it, employees can track time using an online timer, and you can track employee attendance, see who works on what, and export... learn more about Clockify"Easy to use time management app"Lee Savery, Content Executive at Ricemedia
- Time Tracking Software for Your Projects and Tasks
Cloud based time tracking software designed for small teams and freelancers. Track time on projects with tasks, generate insightful reports and send invoices to clients. A time tracker with a track record. Decades of experience have produced a simple yet comprehensive time tracking software. Time tracked on projects or individual tasks can be easily turned into shareable reports that keep your cl... learn more about My Hours
- Time tracking doesn't have to suck!
Timely by Memory.ai is an automatic time tracking application that records time spent on work, recording all data in a highly-secure private timeline that is accessible from every device. It is an ideal time tracking solution for projects managers and teams, providing users with a user-friendly tool that displays the progress, budget use and direction of projects from a single, unified dashboard.... learn more about Timely
- Build the Work Schedule in Minutes.
When I Work was built to serve the employee scheduling and communication needs of workplaces across a wide range of industries. We make scheduling staff easy for coffee shops, restaurants, customer service departments, retail shops, colleges, healthcare organizations, nonprofits, and many, many other types of workplaces. If you have hourly employees, we can help make scheduling, communication, and... learn more about When I Work"The software is very intuitive"Oliver Bravo, founder and CEO of at Best Lawsuit Loans LLCVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial14 daysEntry Level Price$2 per Month
- The all-in-one work time tracker for managing field or remote teams.
Hubstaff time tracking software is used by over 10,000 teams across the world that want to achieve more. Track work hours, pay team members, invoice clients, see in-depth reporting, and more through our web dashboard, desktop, and mobile apps. Hubstaff’s employee time tracking software allows your team to track work hours spent on every single project and task. Anyone can easily start and stop t... learn more about Hubstaff"Great staffing tool"Debleena Des
- Time tracking that drives performance
ClickTime provides businesses and professional individual with a robust and award-winning web-based time tracking platform that simplifies the way you manage your time, expenses, and other resources. Straightforward and easy to use, Clicktime comes with a plethora of practical features that make it a viable time tracking option for all sorts of users and can be accessed via all platforms and web b... learn more about ClicktimeVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial14 daysEntry Level Price$12 per Month
- Easy To Use Time Tracking Software
Time Tracker software helps companies like yours track time and expenses from anywhere in the world, then easily sync with popular business apps like QuickBooks, Xero, Concur and Gusto. You can also add invoicing and simple online payments with Time Tracker +Billing, or add legal features like ABA codes, LEDES invoicing and check for conflicts with Time Tracker +Legal. Your time is important to us... learn more about Time TrackerVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial30 daysEntry Level Price$4 per Month
- Real-Time Automatic Time Tracking Software for Teams
DeskTime is a fully automatic time tracking software that has proven to boost employee productivity by 30% within the first weeks of using it. See how you and your employees spend their time online and offline, track time by projects and automatically calculate their costs based on workers' hourly rates. Additionally, generate custom reports for in-house use or your customers, plan employee shifts... learn more about DeskTime"An Efficient Productivity Tracker"Shakti Singh
- Powerful time tracking software with hassle-free integrations.
Everhour is one of the best time tracking tools for teams. Accurate time tracker for budgeting, client invoicing and painless payroll. Keep track of all your project budgets, schedule threshold alerts, use forward resource planning. Build any kind of reports and send professional-looking invoices. Create tasks, organize them in sections, add time estimates to keep everyone in the loop and on track... learn more about EverhourVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial14 daysEntry Level Price$8.00 per Month
- See what you can achieve!
todo.vu is a productivity suite delivering a unique blend of CRM, task management, time tracking and billing functionality. todo.vu is ideal for freelancers, consultants and teams of any size who strive to achieve improved efficiency, quality and transparency. todo.vu is the right tool for you whether you’re a consultant, contractor or freelancer, or small agency needing to track work across mul... learn more about todo.vu"Full-fledged control panel"Caroline Lee, Co-Founder at CocoSignVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial14 daysEntry Level Price$9 per Month
- TIME TRACKING FOR PRODUCTIVE TEAMS.
TrackingTime is a collaborative time tracking tool that helps companies manage their projects, track working times and measure productivity. The core of the time clock app is a simple yet powerful task manager that allows you to stay organized while effortlessly keeping track of your working hours in real-time. Because the app also focuses on collaboration, you’ll be able to organize your own pr... learn more about TrackingTime
- Your Best Choice For Employee Time Tracking Software.
Time Clock Wizard is a world-class, free online employee time tracking software, intuitive scheduling, free online time clock app, and payroll solution. A simple design helps you create regular individual work schedules for your employees. Empowering them to respond with their specific requests. Stay organized with smart color-coding for individual employee profiles, send schedules by SMS / email,... learn more about Time Clock Wizard
- Web based time tracking tool.
eHour is an open source time tracking software for companies and organizations who need accurate information on how much time is spent on projects by their people. eHour time tracking tool makes the time your people spend on projects visible and available as simple and user-friendly as possible. ... learn more about eHour
- Improve your time tracking.
Timewatch lets your users track time in whatever way they prefer: from a PC, Mac, phone, tablet and even from within Outlook! Timesheet entry is so intuitive and easy to learn that no training is required. With time-saving features such as instant search, our timesheets typically save employees between one and three hours per week and pay for themselves in minutes. Easy manager approval and alerts... learn more about TimewatchVISIT WEBSITEFree TrialAvailableEntry Level PriceContact Vendor
- Time & Attendance Tracking For Teams
Jibble is a cloud-based time tracking and attendance management solution designed to help businesses and organizations to maximize the time of their employees and ensure that they are paying for actual time spent on work. Jibble helps management closely monitor team productivity with cloud-based time sheets and reports. With just a quick view, managers can see who is working on which task... learn more about JibbleVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial14 daysEntry Level Price$2 per Month
- Online time and expense tracking.
Minute7 is designed specifically for professional services firms that want to track time and expenses against certain customers/jobs/projects and then sync that data into QuickBooks for billing, reporting, or payroll purposes. Employees can enter time & expenses from the office or on the go with our iOS & Android applications. Managers can then approve time and expense entries directly in Minute7.... learn more about Minute7VISIT WEBSITEFree Trial30 daysEntry Level Price$8 per Month
- Create a schedule in minutes.
Buddy Punch offers businesses peace of mind with an online time clock that focuses on ease of use. Employees can punch in online or use our smartphone apps. Employers can view who's punched in, view their GPS position or even limit where they can punch in/out. When it's time to run payroll, reports are automatically ready for you to use.We integrate with QuickBooks and several payroll providers... learn more about Buddy PunchVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial30 daysEntry Level PriceContact Vendor
- Employee monitoring software, Time Tracking software, Productivity
WorkPuls is Employee Monitoring and Time Tracking Software which gives insight how employees spend working hours on computers. It is perfect solution for monitoring, analyzing productivity and tracking time spent on various projects. With WorkPuls, managing remote workforce will be much easier. It's suitable for small business, enterprises and remote teams.... learn more about WorkpulsVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial7 daysEntry Level Price$6 per Month
- Employee Time Tracking as simple and as effective as it can get.
OfficeTimer is an online office management software and is used by hundreds of companies worldwide. OfficeTimer's features include Timesheet, Leave management, Expense management, Client billing, Project and Task management.These features of OfficeTimer are immensely helping the companies in generating employee payroll and client billing. ... learn more about OfficeTimerVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial30 daysEntry Level Price$4.18 per Month
- The World's Best Employee Time Clock App
Oitchau is the undisputed leader in time & attendance innovation. Oitchau is allowing our customers to save money while introducing full transparency to the company’s’ workforce. Oitchau is available across all popular platforms and devices while integrating into the majority of time clocks and payroll systems. We make it easier and faster for HR, Managers, and employees to complete payroll ... learn more about OitchauVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial14 daysEntry Level PriceContact Vendor
- You run your business. We’ll make sure timesheets are filled painlessly and on time.
Atto is the simplest timesheet app for small businesses. Tap a button to clock in and start tracking your time. Your work hours turn into simple, accurate timesheet reports automatically. Detailed insights into your team's daily activity give you actionable knowledge that helps you grow your business. Find out instantly who’s on the clock, on break, hasn’t showed up for work yet or is enj... learn more about AttoVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial14 daysEntry Level Price$4 per Month
- Timesheets. Easy way to track your time!
100% free time tracking tool for small teams. Track time the way you like. Start or continue the time tracker, else log all your hours in one go. Explore your data, break down your hours by projects, members or tasks. Share custom reports. Keep an eye on your business. Get significant insights into tasks and projects to keep them in the budget! ... learn more about Quidlo Timesheets
- Open source time tracking app.
Kimai is a free and open source time tracker software. It tracks work time and prints out a summary of your activities on demand. Yearly, monthly, daily, by the customer, by the project. Kimai time clock app simplicity is its strength. Due to Kimai’s browser-based interface, it runs cross-platform, even on your mobile device.... learn more about Kimai
- Track Time, Save Time
Develop and market time clock software that benefits businesses. Design products to improve and simplify time and attendance management. And just as importantly, provide first-class technical support and service to everyone we work with.... learn more about TimeClickVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial14 daysEntry Level Price$99 per Year
- Billable Hours Tracker
Time Analytics is a management tool for time and cost tracking per each project, client or working task. Time Analytics helps companies to work smarter not harder. Simple timesheets provide more automation in the planning and monitoring of daily business activities. Improve relations and contribution of your employees and clients based on realistic time records. Get insight into time utilizatio... learn more about Time AnalyticsVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial60 daysEntry Level Price$4.99 per Month
- Time tracking software for small and medium-sized companies
clockodo is a cloud-based employee and project time tracking program which enables small and medium-sized companies to track working hours, oversee resources, and issue invoices with its partner tools using a range of features including a stopwatch, team calendar, employee reports, project hours and timesheets, and more. Native iOS and Android apps give users the flexibility to track time on the g... learn more about clockodoVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial14 daysEntry Level Price$6.5 per Month
- Streamline business operations.
Humanity is cloud-based workforce management software fueled by a commitment to innovation, iteration, and a customer-centric approach. It is the flexible workforce management platform that both you and your employees will love to use. ... learn more about Humanity"Humanity holds the future of employee scheduling software!"Robin Madelain, Copywriter at RankSoldier International Private LimitedVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial30 daysEntry Level PriceContact Vendor
- Online Time Tracking Software: Easy, Accurate and Flexible Time Tracker
TimeTac is web-based time tracking software that is accessible via PC, Mac, smartphone and time clock. Record working times live with a simple click of a button to start, followed by another one to stop. The online time tracking software cuts down calculation mistakes as is the case with handwritten timesheets. The immediate result is precise time data you can rely on. Easily manage real-time repo... learn more about TimeTacVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial30 daysEntry Level Price$4.50 per Month
- Employee Time Tracking. For Anyone. From Anywhere.
Vericlock is a powerful, easy-to-use, web-based time tracking software that accurately records time and attendance for hourly employees who work off-site. Employees can clock in and out of the system by phone or the internet. Some of the verification techniques used include GPS tagging, voice authentication, and recording of IP addresses.... learn more about VeriClockVISIT WEBSITEFree TrialAvailableEntry Level Price$10 per Month
- An effortless Time Tracking Solution
Staff timer App is a Time Tracking solution for teams dispersed globally. It is the perfect tool for employers who are managing remote teams and distributed teams. It not only gives you the exact billable and non-billable hours but the ability to remotely monitor the team members through 1). Real-time screen monitoring. 2). Minute by minute screenshots 3). Review work through daily work v... learn more about StaffTimerVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial10 daysEntry Level PriceContact Vendor
- The New Way to Pay & Get Paid.
Fingercheck is the modern workforce solution that transforms the way small businesses work - making them run smarter. Our All-in-One HR platform, lets businesses easily manage Payroll, Time & Attendance, HR and much more through our easy-to-use, automated software, Fingercheck delivers the tools to simplify and streamline workflow for employees & employers using a single platform so everyone can w... learn more about FingercheckVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial7 daysEntry Level Price$3.00 per Month
- Time Tracking Sucks. Deal With It. Or Use Timing.
Timing automates your time tracking. Instead of manually starting and stopping timers, it logs which apps you use, which websites you visit, and which documents you edit. That data can be categorized automatically and manually. Comprehensive reporting and exporting functionality (e.g. to create invoices) is included as well... learn more about Timing
- Time Tracking.Easy.
OfficeTime.net develops a remarkably intuitive app for tracking your time and expenses, A time tracking app for an iPhone, iPad, Mac, PC or Apple Watch. OfficeTime balances features and ease of use, allowing users to easily track exactly where they’re productive and where they’re wasting time.... learn more about OfficeTimeVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial21 daysEntry Level Price$47 per One-time
- Cloud Based Attendance Management System
Timeclock 365 is intuitive user-friendly with an attractive look and feel offering your total flexibility on how you track time for your employees, be they remote workers or a purely office-based.... learn more about Timeclock 365VISIT WEBSITEFree Trial15 daysEntry Level PriceContact Vendor
- Time Tracking Software - Run More Profitable Projects
Tick is a time tracking software solution that helps teams easily track time and hit their budgets. Tick offers integrated apps for phones, desktops, and browser extensions so you can quickly enter your time. This system integrates project management software such as Trello, Asana, and Basecamp to bring time tracking and budget feedback into your project management workflow. You can also export yo... learn more about TickVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial30 daysEntry Level Price$19 per Month
- Simple, Intelligent Time Tracking Software for Teams & Freelancers.
Timeneye is a simple and intelligent time-tracking tool, which is helping small/medium companies to track their team productivity levels, but it is also perfect for freelancers. If you need instant productivity boost, achieved through ultimate simplicity, Timeneye is the very-easy-to-use tool that you are looking for. Timeneye will help you to boost your personal and group productivity in no time,... learn more about Timeneye
- Time Tracking has never been this easy.
Hyperlogs is a comprehensive online time tracking platform that comes built with expense monitoring and invoicing capabilities. This comprehensive and easy-to-use time tracking solution is a perfect tool for project managers and teams who want to graduate from dated and cumbersome spreadsheets to versatile, reliable, and accurate means to monitor and manage their time and expenses. Hyperlogs is de... learn more about HyperlogsVISIT WEBSITEFree Trial14 daysEntry Level Price$19 per Month
- Introduction to time tracking software.
- What is time tracking?
- What are the popular time tracking methods?
- Can technologies help in time tracking?
- What is Time Tracking App?
- What are the features of a time tracking software?
- What are the reasons to implement time tracking software?
- How can time tracking software boost productivity?
- What to look for in a time tracking software?
- What is the average cost of time tracking software?
- What to consider while purchasing a time tracking software?
- Why refer to GoodFirms’s list of top time tracking software?
Introduction to time tracking software.
What may seem as an anodyne task, time tracking is considered one of the foremost tasks within an organization. With strict vigil on employees and workers right in the modern era, ensuring that an employee or a freelancer gets paid on time while executing the task at hand has become a cornerstone of organizational profitability.
Time tracking software today helps companies execute a variety of tasks as far as employee and resource assignments for tasks are concerned. As companies chase efficiency and optimum productivity these days, online time tracking software will go a long way in aiding businesses to achieve high growth.
With small businesses usually maintaining an employee count corralled by immediate managers, it’s the medium and large enterprises, including the behemoths of any industry, that need to keep track of the performance levels of its employees.
This buyer’s guide aims to provide possible suitors of online time tracker software with the requisite information required to make an informed decision on choices that will propel their organization to the next level of performance.
What is time tracking?
Time tracking is a concept that has been followed by the human race for hundreds of years, in multiple forms.
Prehistoric beings used time tracking for simply calculating the turn of seasons and estimating crop harvest cycles. Ancient explorers tracked time to understand the ebb and flow of seas and oceans throughout seasons.
Time tracking, as we know it in employment, has its origins in many ancient empires such as the Roman and the Greek as well as the Egyptian Kingdom.
This continued into the era of the industrial revolution when working hours and wages took on significant importance. Historical events such as the ‘eight hour day’ movement capped the number of working hours for employees to prevent exploitation, while labor rates were designated by law for specific roles in the 20th century.
Throughout the technological revolution, especially with the rise of the ‘gig economy’, the need to pay employees on an hourly basis for the total work done has taken on renewed precedence, and this is where time management has been extremely important. This gave rise to several online time tracking software.
Thus, time tracking is nothing but recording the number of hours worked by an individual, either on a specific task or a set of tasks for an organization, thereby ensuring he/she is paid accordingly to the number of hours put into the work.
Time tracking software has multiple use cases and applications in business streams, thereby becoming a vital key performance indicator in many industries.
What are the popular time tracking methods?
Some of the time tracking methods are listed below: (From Ancient to Modern Era)
Ancient Egyptians tracked time through the movement of the shadow of an obelisk corresponding to the position of the sun at different times in the day.
The process of tracking time underwent a radical change with the invention of the precision time-keeping clock by Christian Huygens in 1656. With the advent of industrialization in the 18th century, the clock was used in coordination with a pen-and-paper method to keep track of employee working hours.
The Bundy clock was invented by Willard Bundy in the 19th century. This mechanical device was a clock with a mechanical punching device modeled into it. The device would record an employee's in and out time by punching his/her card with the time when the card is inserted into the device. This gave rise to the popular term 'Punching in & out.' Over the next five decades, technological advances modernized the Bundy clock. The Bundy clock itself was digitized with employee time tracking data now being stored in a central database.
Newer, more complex punching card mechanisms for time management were implemented in the 1960s by leading academic institutions such as Harvard to uniquely record employees' movement across tasks and attendance at work.
Online timesheets, where an employee's in and out times - as well as time spent on projects - were recorded in Excel and stored for wage calculations evolved to complement the punching card technology.
Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) cards
Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) cards and sensors took over in the 1970s and 1980s as primary methods of attendance and movements in and out of the office for employees.
Time management tools also encompassed biometric devices used for employee identification and tracking. These devices rely on an employee's unique physical features to ensure accurate data recording on clock-ins, clock outs, productivity, and task completion.
Modern Time Tracking Tools
Modern day time tracking methods use a combination of software tools, cloud, and mobile computing applications to estimate employee hours worked as well as employee attendance, with no dependence on an employee's physical presence at the workplace. These applications are known as Time tracking system software.
Can technologies help in time tracking?
As stated previously, the impact of technology on time management software has led to the rapid modernization of employee-employer relations. The time tracking software today executes a plethora of tasks concerned with business process improvements, which may not have been envisioned by its founders.
From productivity to simple process tracking, technology has played its part in ensuring businesses can benefit massively from the timely deployment of their resources and tracking its use efficiently. Time tracking has taken on a completely different meaning from its origins, and technology will only help further improvise its effectiveness.
What is Time Tracking App?
Time tracking software is a time management tool that has been designed and developed to ensure accurate recording of hours worked by employees or freelancers to facilitate accurate billing, reporting of task status and analyze other important business metrics.
For example, you can consider the employment of a software engineer with an IT organization. He/she is allocated a specific task to be completed with a given deadline. Tacking his progress on the task and ensuring he/she will get remunerated accordingly are key functions of the organization, which will be executed with the time management software.
What are the features of a time tracking software?
Some of the most sought after features of online time management tools are as follows:
1. Flexibility - The time tracking app must be robust and easy to deploy across a variety of platforms. Employees working across time zones, operating systems, and tasks must find it feasible to track their progress across their tasks as well as for managers to ensure the data is getting recorded so that appropriate analysis can be done on a per cases basis. The system must also be able to run decentralized.
2. Reporting, Analytics Dashboards - For managers looking at employee or freelancer efficiency, dashboards, and constituent reports form the backbone of decision making. These dashboards provide accurate insights on tasks completed by an employee, as well as the budget allocated to a task. Further insight can be drawn out on operational efficiency as necessary.
3. Alerts and Notifications - The ability to craft custom alerts and notifications are usually coded into the framework of the time tracking app, such that managers can keep an eye on deadlines to be adhered to. Notifications also keep managers and employees clued to key process indicators and statuses of tasks and procedures that need to be accomplished, alongside the amount of time required to complete it.
4. Administrative User Management - User access systems are important constituents of secure systems. With such vital information about employees, imperative projects, and billing cycles input into the time management software, sensitive data must be protected at all costs, and that ensures that only select personnel from the organization can access it.
5. Data Sharing - Organizations today are molded from diverse functionalities operating under one banner. A facility to share the online time tracking tools’ vast trove of data and analysis among various departments will ensure seamless adherence to standard operating procedures (SOPs) and organization-wide improvement in operations.
6. Project Tracking - Time tracking software plays a pivotal role in project management. With employees and budgets under the microscope, effective and efficient time tracker software helps managers identify bottlenecks and deadlocks in a process, employee-related or not, thereby reducing the cost of output.
7. Data Clarity - It’s essential to have data that is extracted from the important sources available for good decision making for organizations. Time management software keeps sharing important organizational data within departments to ensure robust decision making is made easy.
8. Attendance and Leave Management - All time tracking software have this necessary feature already coded into it. Time management software needs to record employee absenteeism and attendance on hours worked, ensuring thorough adherence to guidelines on billing.
What are the reasons to implement time tracking software?
Some of the reasons of time tracking software are as follows:
1. Increased Productivity - With a firm eye on overall output, the time tracking app helps organizations converge their efforts around lean and quick processes, thereby reducing turnaround time between initiation of the task and outcome.
2. Accurate Billing - Instead of being forced to pay employees or freelancers arbitrarily, a time tracking software helps employers demystify the hours worked by personnel and pay him/her for the task completed per hour worked.
3. Transparency of Data - Time Management Software usually records data at the point of installation. This means the data recorded per process, per employee is precise to the last degree.
4. Complete Project Planning - Online time trackers usually help pre-plan the time required to complete a project and the number of resources necessary to complete the task. This level of project planning helps organizations complete tasks efficiently.
5. Automation of Tasks - Time Management software pin-points the human-intensive tasks, such as the implementation of code. In contrast, several tasks that needn’t make use of personnel intervention may be left for automation, such as generating reports from systems.
6. Higher Employee Performance - Time tracking software helps personnel understand the significance of efficient completion of tasks within the given time frame.
7. Lower Cost Incurred/Higher Organizational Savings - Online time tracker software generally helps companies broaden productivity while narrowing costs incurred per execution of the task by effective resource deployment and accurate billing measurement.
How can time tracking software boost productivity?
Time management systems have the base to catapult organization productivity, as long as the following key process metrics are met:
- Collaborative Data Analysis - A key prerequisite for a successful time tracking software is its ability to notify all relevant stakeholders about the progress of a task/project central to business objectives. Once data regarding these processes is in, a special analysis must be undertaken by departments to understand the bottlenecks that cause projects delay, employee or task, and quickly collaborate in drafting a common and easily implementable solution. Businesses can then scale feasible solutions across sections of the same company, increasing productivity.
- Decreasing Resource Redundancy - Consider a scenario in which, after collaborative analysis, employees are found to be spending time on processes that are easily automatable or require half the capacity to be completed. In such cases, online time tracking tools can pin-point areas where efficiency is lagging or if resources aren’t being used correctly per task. Better scheduling of resources results in maximum efficiency.
- Planning by Deadlines - Most companies follow strict deadlines. This helps in maintaining an acceptable turnaround time for projects. However, does it necessarily help with productivity? With the help of a time tracking app, resources and tools can be better deployed. The time tracking software will thus increase planning capacity.
- Employee Improvement/Upskilling - Time tracking software aid in deciphering an employee’s efficiency. If a freelancer or an employer is behind the curve while completing a task, he/she can be given time to upskill themselves for the requirements of the role quickly, or they can be transferred altogether to tasks they’re proficient at.
- Audit and Compliance - The absolute standard of the output of a task and time required to complete can be documented across various projects and compared with real-time execution to understand the efficiency of a resource. A time tracking app can compile the time data and compare it with standard procedure results to understand where bottlenecks occur and ensure corrective actions are executed.
What to look for in a time tracking software?
Some of the most important components of a time tracking app one must be on the lookout for before completing a purchasing are as follows:
- Time Sheets - Generally considered one of the basic functionalities of employee time tracking software, timesheets fulfill the necessity of estimating the amount of time worked on a task to complete it.
- Billing/Payroll Records - An important aspect of time tracking is to ensure that freelancers and employees are accurately billed on a per hour basis for the work done. The accurate recording of these transactions is extremely important.
- Shift/Leave Recording - The software needs to record the shifts within which employees work, while their leaves are also accurately tracked.
- Workforce/HR Analytics - Ensuring the appropriate analytics of employee engagement on tasks to ensure every resource is used appropriately.
- Document and Data Extraction - A great time tracker software needs to ensure that data sharing facilities exist in its scope to help firms function better by eliminating bottlenecks and redundancies.
Other essential functions of online time tracking software include; user security, version updates, easy storage of files and records, multi-platform migration, and project tracking tools.
What is the average cost of time tracking software?
The price of most time tracking apps depends on the scope of business operations needed for observation by an organization as well as the size of the business itself.
There is a wide variety of free time tracking software, as well as freemium and premium online time tracking software.
Don’t forget to read our blog on the Top 7 Free and Open Source time tracking software, as you make this vital decision.
Free time tracking software, such as Kimai, which is also open-source, offers an extensive solution set, without a fee. These free time tracking apps are sure to catch-up in the functioning of industries world over, especially in light of vastly implemented ‘work from home’ situations.
Freemium time tracking software, such as TimeCamp, allows users to download and implement a basic feature set employee tracking software. Any upgrades to the basic software set will then be charged per download ($5.25 for a basic, $7.25 for PRO).
Several online time tracking tools charge a premium fee for their services. Retain Resource Planning charges $2000 as a one-time installation fee, while the average range for freemium services is between $4 (e.g., Tmetric) and $29 (e.g., Intervals) for one month.
What to consider while purchasing a time tracking software?
Factors to be considered before purchasing a time tracking software are as follows:
- Customer Support - Ensuring the time management software chosen by an organization provides supplementary support through various stages of the life cycle is very important. It may seem throughout the purchase cycle that important functionalities need to be added later into the purchase and what better way to have them implemented than through the requisite customer service personnel.
- Price - Always one of the most important factors in driving purchase decisions for businesses and users alike, the price of the time tracking software must meet the business budget. All features required to achieve objectives must be attained within a specified price. Free time tracking apps mostly offer a watered-down capability bouquet of subscription and premium tools.
- Features - As stated earlier, the features required for businesses to achieve their goals must be available in the time tracking software version purchased by businesses. A feature-dense online time tracking software increases the decision-making capacity of the organization.
- Security of Data - As with most organizations, the security of sensitive data is of the deepest concern. The purchased time tracking software must ensure accurate user management and have enough security layers embedded to prevent theft or unwarranted compromise of company data.
- Ability to Share Timesheets - Timesheets must be easily shareable within organizations and different levels of management for the overall organization to achieve maximum efficiency. This is a basic necessity that must be fulfilled by the time management software.
- Easy to Understand Interface - The time tracking app needs to be easy to navigate and fluid for many employers to carry out basic functionalities on the platform. A complicated and misinterpretable dashboard will defeat the purpose of a time tracking software.
Checklist For Selecting Time Tracking Software:
- Open source
- HR Software
- Payroll Software
- Remote Work software
- Project Management Tools
- Work hours
- GPS/ Employee Location
- Time in and time out
- Idle Time
- Private Time
- Desktop Hours
- Productive Hours
- Efficiency Percentage
- Attendance Monitoring
- Overtime calculation
- Payroll calculation
Why refer to GoodFirms’s list of top time tracking software?
Goodfirms's exceptional research and a curated list of the best time tracking software provides would-be buyers with a comprehensive list of authentic, viable, and tangible time tracking software. They will then be able to choose and deploy the best possible employee time tracking software, as per the size of their business.
Decision-makers can easily run through the advantages, features, and reviews of some of the best free time tracking software, subscription-based employee time clock apps as well as premium time and attendance software. Goodfirms' listings are second to none, and users can gain significant insight into the right time management software for their business. After following the intricate research process, GoodFirms has an authentic listing of more than 60K software and services. With over 30k unbiased reviews for different software services and vendors, GoodFirms can make your investment process easier.
Feel free to visit the vendor sites after analyzing reviews and descriptions of the products on Goodfirms's dedicated software pages.