Best Task Management Software
The power of digital processing has been increasing exponentially over these years, and this has paved the way for many surprises, especially when it comes to managing all work, and related interactions in a consolidated pattern. A well-designed task management system can relieve the team members from the challenge of managing the tasks they own.
What is Task Management Software?
Task management software allows users to get their tasks done quickly and productively. It facilitates a unified view of all your tasks under one frame. Right from prioritizing urgent tasks, progressing effectively in collaboration with other team members, reducing time on searching documents, until, planning and managing tasks anywhere, becomes much easier with task management apps.
How to Choose the Right Task Management Tool?
Choosing the right task management software can be a bit tricky. There are specific features that will help in perfecting the task of a particular organization. To ease the process for you, GoodFirms have come up with the following list of best task tracking software along with its features, costs, and reviews from its users.
List of Best Task Management System | Best Task Management Tools
- Introduction to Task Management Buyer's Guide
- What is task management?
- What are the different approaches to task management?
- Why is the task management system critical?
- What is task management software?
- What are the essential features of task management software?
- Why do businesses need task management solutions?
- How to organize and prioritize your tasks using task management software?
- How to use online task management software to increase employee productivity?
- What are the latest trends in task management software?
- How to choose the right task management software?
- What is the average cost of task management software?
- Why refer to GoodFirms’ list of top task management software?
The buyer’s guide to task management software is intended to provide profound understanding and knowledge to the users regarding managing, sharing, and tracking project tasks. Businesses today have the facility to automate processes that are concerned with making, allocating, prioritizing, and monitoring the tasks and functions of the project with an efficient task management tool. This process helps in enhancing the efficiency of the team and allows the members of the company to complete the projects on time.
In this buyer's guide on the task management system, you will get accustomed to the features and importance of task management software. The guide helps you in focusing on the critical points that should be considered before buying the task management software for your business.
Task Management is the practice that helps in managing the entire lifecycle of the task, which includes the process of task creation, planning, tracking, assignment, reporting, and execution. The team leader tracks the job throughout its life cycle and, based on the progress, makes the decisions. The management can analyze the overall efficiency of an individual, department, and organization with the help of the reports. The task management process makes use of software tools to carry out its process efficiently and smoothly.
The task management system is approached in various ways by different types of companies. The different kinds of approaches to task management are created to help different types of teams like marketing, software development, or business development. You can make use of the below-mentioned approaches to task management to meet the requirements of your organization:
- Agile – It serves as an iterative approach that allows teams to ship faster and more often. The customer gets the value sooner through quick deployments. In less time, the teams can complete more tasks. The tasks are always up-to-date in this type of approach, so there is less wastage of resources.
- Waterfall – It is also known as a phased approach and is apt for smaller organizations that have well-defined projects. This type of approach breaks down the project into distinct and sequential phases. At the enterprise level, you can evaluate the strategies with this type of plan as it believes in providing the solid foundation of project-level data.
- Scrum- This approach is based on the agile framework that helps in preventing delays in the product launch. It focuses on team collaboration and saves a lot of time and money for the company. The scrum master facilitates the scrum sessions (sprints), and these sessions occur within the time frame of 1-3 weeks.
- Kanban- Kanban approach organizes tasks and keeps track of it. This approach serves as a useful tool that helps in identifying bottlenecks. It delivers quicker results and believes in offering a transparent view of the status of the task.
- Lean – This type of approach focuses on the theme of efficiency. Lean addresses the three (3Ms) dysfunctions that create waste- Muda, which is about eradicating trash, Mura, that eliminates variations, and Muri that removes overload. It is a helpful approach at the time of reviewing the project delivery process.
“The task of management is to make people capable of joint performance, to make their strengths effective and their weaknesses irrelevant.”
By Peter Drucker
The Task Management system is a system that enables an organization to complete its task on time with less wastage and a better outcome. Have a look at the following reasons:
- Task management solutions allow you to organize, allocate, and prioritize tasks.
- You can set up objectives and milestones collectively to deal with deadlines by employing a task management system.
- Task management allows you to split up the problematic tasks into small deliverables, which you can administer with minor difficulty.
- The owners or managers can identify who among their teams are performing the best with the help of the task management solution.
- Every member of the team gets the complete picture of the operations or the project of the company. Concerning the company’s goals and objectives, the team gets a better understanding of everyone’s work.
Task management software is a tool that allows team members and team leaders to track the task all through its lifecycle. This process facilitates team members to make decisions based on progress. The task management tool makes use of many functions like task creation, task planning, task assignment, task tracking, and task reporting to organize and manage tasks effectively.
The task management app should have the following features, which, in turn, help in enhancing the efficiency and improving the productivity of the organization:
- Task Planning – The online task management software allows you to plan your tasks so that there can be a smooth execution of the functions. Through a structured approach, you can break down the work into stages based on the budget, resources, scope, and timeline. The best task management software allows you to break down your work into simpler tasks that can be managed effortlessly. As per the requirement, you can organize and prioritize your tasks.
- Task Assignment- After planning the tasks, the online task management tools delegate the tasks to different team members. Anyone can divide a project or assign the task from their home screen, and there is no need to wait for the admin to set up the tasks for the team. In your system, all users should be able to assign tasks to one another by using a personal task management app.
- Task prioritization- The task tracking software should be able to rank tasks in terms of importance. Prioritizing tasks can help with procrastination. There are ample things on the to-do list, so the functionality of task prioritization helps in deciding what tasks are required to be done at the earliest. It allows managers to determine their priorities.
- Centrally-controlled security permission- The administrator can centrally control the security permission with the help of the best task management tool. The company can keep the client information guardedly due to the feature of security permissions. At a team or project level, the administrator can avoid the conflict of interest.
- Track Status – The task tracker feature in the task management software allows you to keep track of the status of each task, which in turn helps in identifying the bottlenecks. There are many tasks on the board, and without the feature of track status, it’s tough to manage all the tasks efficiently.
- Notifications- The task planning software should be able to notify you whenever there is a need for your action. The information can be sent on the mobile app as they are handy, and you can easily access it from any location. In some free task management software, there is the facility of ready-made email templates that notifies for important information.
- Reporting and Analyzing- The team task management application should be able to report about the task progress to avoid deadlines and make the task management more efficient and well –organized. The task management software should be able to analyze the performance of each employee from the gathered data, which ultimately results in recuperating the overall efficiency of the team.
- Integrations- The task management app should be able to work with other integrations so that your organization can be more productive. You cannot make use of task management solutions to its full potential without the support of other services. You can choose the best task management software that fits your team’s needs appropriately.
The other essential features that should be considered in the online task management software are:
- Task editing and updating- Based on the resources, the task can be edited and updated.
- Task tagging - The labels and tags are created for tasks and sub-tasks to organize and categorize. You can add context and can collect assignment-related information.
- Time tracking- Based on the assigned tasks, the task management tool can track collective time spent by all the stakeholders.
- Make sub-tasks- At a micro level, you can split tasks into smaller, actionable sub-tasks to carry out and manage tasks.
- Recurring task management- The businesses can be prevented from rescheduling redundant work by this functionality.
- Task Progress tracking- Throughout the lifecycle, the task progress is tracked. It monitors the key performance indicators.
- Chat Systems- The inbuilt chat systems in the online task management tools allow users to communicate with other members of the team.
- File Management- The files and documents can be managed quickly and assigned to the required tasks with the task management app.
- Calendar- The task tracking software can easily sync your calendar with important dates and deadlines for the project.
- Collaboration – The task planning software should be able to handle team collaboration. It should be able to share the vital document in time and with ease.
The task management app provides valuable benefits that help in completing all the phases of your projects. The businesses need task management software due to the following reasons:
- Improves teamwork – The team task management system centralizes activity and information in one place. The team members get encouraged with the input of the colleagues on specific tasks, which in turn helps in increasing productivity. Throughout the team, it allows increasing the level of collaboration as shared ideas can be accessed at any time.
Improve Productivity and increase efficiency – The online task management tools take care of the daily tasks so the team members can get more time to accomplish the other types of crucial business-related work, which helps in improving productivity. Due to productivity improvement, there will be increased efficiency. You can have time to focus on increasing sales or can even attract new clients.
- Centralize Activity- The task tracking software allows the team members to monitor all client activity throughout the team. It eliminates the tedious requirement for multiple passwords and accounts and integrates all events in one place. The task tracker enhances the efficiency of the work, which is carried out daily by removing the risk of information being deleted or lost.
- Track time requirements- The task tracking software records and monitors the time that each employee spends on a task. It checks the efficiency of the team members working in the team and tracks the time-specific tasks that are dealt with in the client’s project. The team is more likely to adopt the built-in time tracking feature as they don’t have to download any other apps. This feature also helps in sharing the workload of the team members.
- Assists remote working – The task planning software allows teams to become more flexible by providing the remote working facility. This application provides indispensable abilities like collaboration, communication, budget tracking, time tracking, delegation, and file sharing to the teams that work remotely.
- Reliable and Secure – The team task management application provides restricted access to the projects. All the information is shared with the authorized person, so this system helps in preventing the crime of data hacking and criminal offense. The businesses can rely on the task management app as all the information on the project is shared with the persons working on it along with the manager.
- Team Collaboration – The online task management software allows multiple users to share everything from updates to timelines and documents while working on the project. The employees need to collaborate on the projects so that tasks get completed on time and without any errors. The task management system brings collaboration among team members.
- Share Calendar and event Scheduling- The best task management software includes the feature of a shared calendar. The team calendar helps the team and its members to schedule meetings and other collective events with their customers and business partners. It enables booking resources along with automated meeting schedules.
- Reporting and real-time outline of the team’s work- The task management tool helps in creating task reports with the help of reporting tools. It helps in collecting the previously inserted work data. You can have an idea about the completed work along with the performance of the team members from these reports. KPI (Key Performance Indicator) dashboard displays the essential metrics and graphs that help in viewing the progress of the teamwork.
Other benefits of task management software:
- Enhances customer satisfaction
- Optimizes decision making
- Facilitates better communication between the team and with the clients
- Document Sharing
- Internal and external communication
- Budget Management
- Collaborate on Projects
- Make task delegation easy
- Distribute Workload
- Notify team members about overdue tasks
- Automate recurring tasks creation
- Provide visible HITs (High Impact Tasks)
- Add subtasks to more significant tasks
- Creates separate workspace for each group
You can organize and prioritize your task with the help of task management tool in the following ways:
- List the tasks- Create a list of the tasks which you need to perform. You can make a list based on the priorities. Pull together the things which you think should be done in a day, or this week or fortnight.
- Classify the task based on importance and urgency- You can identify the assignment based on significance and need. Scan your list of tasks to know if there are any tasks that require immediate attention. If there is any task that involves urgency, then you have to complete ASAP so that you don’t have to face any severe adverse consequences in the future.
- Meet the criteria of the tasks- You can qualify the tasks which highly depend on your organization. If the task impacts a huge number of people, then it should be taken as a high priority.
- Order tasks by estimated effort- You should evaluate the task based on the duration that it takes to complete. Some tasks require minutes to be completed; others require hours or maybe days. Make sure the tasks that take a longer time to complete should be considered first.
- Cut the unnecessary chore – Whatever task you have prioritized in the list, make sure you complete it, and the remaining job, which is not essential, you can cut it, or you can add it into your task backlog. The crucial tasks are needed to be focused on a priority basis. You can get back to your task backlog as per your convenience.
If you have plenty of tasks list, then you can prioritize the tasks so that you can manage your tasks without any chaos. The two main types of priorities based on which you can prioritize your task are:
- Time-based priorities- This type includes the functions which have to be completed before the set end date. It can fall under the category of the past due date, today, tomorrow, this week, this month, this year or later.
- Urgency-based priorities- This type covers the category of urgent (critical), high, medium (normal), or low. These types of priorities help you in reaching a goal.
The task management software can boost employee productivity, which in turn helps in creating a more productive work environment. The ways to increase employee productivity:
- Keep the team answerable and well-versed – The task management solutions assign tasks to individuals and set deadlines. Everyone can make out what exactly to be done and be held responsible for getting it done.
- Delegate work effectively – The task tracking software can effortlessly delegate the work to multiple team members on one project and can even assign different due dates. The team’s performance can be high if its work is well-managed.
- Track growth and avoid obstruction- The task tracker allows you to observe how your team is productive. In one place, you can track the progress of individual team members along with the projects. To have maximum productivity, you can assign tasks by having a good overview of everyone’s workload along with the project timelines with the help of task management software.
- Schedule and assign tasks in the calendar- You can schedule and plan out projects and events along with actionable tasks assigned in the calendar with the help of task management tool. In this way, all the employees know their roles and can see their deadlines in the project.
- Easy employee onboarding- The integration of the task management system into the company’s onboarding allows managers to create or upload training courses and materials at a low cost. These training courses are then distributed to the employees’ smartphones and are used to test for job readiness. The executives that make use of task management applications can set their employees up for success.
- Effortless employee communication – Online task management tools make staff communication smoother, which ultimately improves staff productivity. The managers can easily share the information with the entire team. The staff members can collaborate effectively, which in turn can soar employee productivity.
The best task manager provides useful tools that help the employees gain success through communication, onboarding, feedback, and monitoring.
The latest trends in task management system are:
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Automation- In task management solutions, there is an impact of AI and automation to perform daily tasks. Simple tasks can be automated and can obtain performance insights.
- Widespread Agile Project management- It increases efficiency, improves marketability, and reduces risks by allowing more flexible and consumer-driven control of projects. You will find that this system is becoming more and more frequently used and integrated into other methodologies.
- Increasing Business Value of “Soft Skills”- Soft skills are essential in a team task management system. The family of social skills includes the traits of emotional intelligence and expertise in coordination, teaching, and negotiating, which are becoming essential in many fields of work.
- Cybersecurity- You can secure your task management methodologies and strategies from an online threat with cybersecurity functionality. The cybersecurity can acquire data by serving as a highly protected firewall.
- IoT (Internet of Things)- From data collection to team collaboration, the IoT bisects with task management strategy. The manual intervention can be reduced with the involvement of IoT in a task management system as all the tasks can be managed automatically.
- Remote teams- The task manager is proceeding ahead with the investment of a remote team system that helps in promoting effective communication over the full range of platforms. If the remote teams are managed effectively with the proper set of management tools, then it turns out to be more productive.
- Data and Analytics- In the nearing future, the task management analytic tools are going to be more of a cloud-based structure. It will help in collecting real-time data and can reflect the results more precisely.
- Project Managers in demand- The task managers are becoming famous due to increasing pressure to innovate, adapt to change, and achieve strategic growth, which in turn helps in driving change, delivering innovation, and implementing strategic initiatives.
The other emerging styles which can be observed in task management system are:
- Open-ended results can deliver better benefits
- Hybrid Approach
- PMO (Project Management Office)
- Kanban Boards
- Lifelong learning
- Targeted Innovation
- Data-driven Presentation
- Enterprise Integration and Coordination
- Risk Analytics
- Enhanced Reporting and Data
- Cross-Company Collaboration
- Flexible Workflows
- More collaborative workspaces
- Advances in Timekeeping and resource management
- Real-Time Data
- Predictions and Simulations
- Upskilling and certification
In an organization, every team and project are different, so there are no fix criteria to pick the right task management software for your business. You can follow the below-mentioned following points to make the appropriate decision:
- Ease of use – The simple task management app can be operated efficiently due to its simpler features and interfaces. Task management team can work efficiently with a simple interface that combines with powerful features. The task management tool that can be customized as per the requirements.
- Find out your must-have features – Make sure that your task tracking software has the essential elements of the project management system along with other software integrations. You can survey your team leads to find out which task management system would be valuable to your business needs.
- Available Budget and Cost –Be clear about the requirements along with the available budget, which you can spend in buying a task tracker system. It is crucial to consider the cost of the task management software and think whether you are getting the value for your money.
- Data Security- Prefer the well-developed and highly secure task management system so that you can keep your project works safe from hackers. Make sure that your task management software, along with task data security, is handled with proper care by a vendor.
- Collaboration – The online task management software should be able to provide an environment for the employees where they can collaborate better. With collaboration, teamwork can be encouraged and motivates the team to complete the task timely.
- Cloud-based – The majority of businesses are using a cloud-based task management system so that team members get the central workspace, which can be accessed anytime and anywhere. You can have reliable access and low maintenance technology with a cloud-based system. It is a cost-efficient way that will help you in saving your precious money.
- Integration with other tools- You should evaluate different types of devices that integrate well with your task management system. Decide why, how, what level (tight or loose) of integration you are expecting with your task management tool.
- Dashboards- The clients can remain updated on project status with the help of a team dashboard. The stakeholders and sponsors can have details from the graphs, charts, visual metrics, and key performance indicators (KPI) displayed on the dashboard.
- Scheduling and Planning –. With a list of tasks on a spreadsheet, you can manage small projects. In large projects, you can visualize your timeline and know how the various deadlines and dependencies can impact each other in the project with the help of Gantt chart functionality. It helps you in visualizing the task list and project schedule.
- Check out the software reviews- You can compare the online task management software reviews to know about the best task management software. With the help of reliable reports, you can compare the functionalities of different types of task management tools available in the market. If you are into small business and have low budget cost, then the reviews can help you in finding out the best free task management software for your business.
Two main factors decide the cost of task management software- first is the business size, and the other is the need for its operations. The cost of the task management software for small business is more reasonably priced as the core functionalities that a team would require mostly come in the basic plan of every task management system. On the other hand, large organizations prefer advanced strategies so that they can carry out their task management activities with more powerful features.
The cost of the online task management tools can start as low as $2.99/year (for example nTask) and can reach as high as $995/year approximately (for example JungleBell for SharePoint). If you are associated with small and start-up business, then you can try open-source and free task management software.
GoodFirms carries out scrupulous research based on the latest market trends. This platform is growing steadily in terms of listing a broad range of categories along with the authentic user reviews. Explore GoodFirms’ coverage to have an idea regarding the list of best task management software that serves your small business efficiently.
The list of best task management software will provide you with profound insights of the top-notch task management software available in the market. Before finalizing the best task management software for your business, do have a look at the list of top task management software.